concernedhusband

Adjustment of Status Denied Day Before Interview

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am a concerned husband for my out of status wife. We just received notice today that my wife's Adjustment of status based on marriage has been denied. Tomorrow was suppose to be her interview. My wife is from Kenya and I am a US citizen. We currently live together in Missouri. Why did this happen and what does this mean? Here is an outline of our situation:

1. In August 2008, my wife comes from Kenya on a student visa to attend college at Drury University in Missouri. She also obtains employment where I work at. This is the first time we meet.

2. In January 2010, my wife (girlfriend at the time) became out of status due to dropping out of school. We both still are working together at the same place.

3. In July 2010, my wife and I got married. We move in a house together where we have lived since then.

4. In September 2010, my wife gets contacted by an immigration officer due to her being out of status. This is when removal proceedings begin. We are informed that she is to see an immigration judge in Kansas City during May 2011 for removal proceedings.

5. In November 2010, we send out I-485 (Adjustment of Status based on marriage), I-130 (Immigrant Petition for Relative), and I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization).

6. In January 2011, we receive notice that our interview for adjustment of status is on March 10, 2011.

7. In December 2010, we go to Saint Louis for my wife's biometrics. There was no problem there.

8. In February 2011, my wife receives her employment authorization. We start to breathe a sigh of relief because she had been working this whole time illegally due to her being out of status(her paycheck takes out taxes though).

9. This is when things started looking bad. On March 1, 2011, we received notice that my wife's adjustment of status interview had been canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. The letter said we would be informed later of a new date for an interview.

10. Today, March 9, 2011, we received notice on the USCIS website that my wife's adjustment of status case had been denied. It said we would receive a letter explaining why and how to appeal if we wanted to.

We are very concerned right now. We were confused when the interview had been canceled due to unforeseen circumstances, now we are even more confused as to why her case has been denied without an interview ever taking place. We also do not understand how she was able to obtain employment authorization if she isn't able to obtain adjustment of status. We called customer service today and explained our situation, but all they could tell us was to wait for the letter explaining the reason for the denial. Once we receive that letter, I will post it on this discussion board. As of right now, what is the meaning to all this? Did we do something wrong? Or is this an error on the part of USCIS? We have done everything right. I am a college graduate that works and pay taxes. My wife will be a graduate once she can get back into school. She also pays taxes. We have never been in trouble for anything. We just want for her to get her green card so she can get back into school and we can move on in our lives. If anyone can share similar experiences or their knowledge on the matter, we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

-Concerned Husband

You are actually posting in the incorrect forum. As your wife entered the US on a student visa, you should be posting in the forum beneath this one. Adjustment from tourist/work/student visa.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from AOS from Family... to AOS from Student visa *****

OP, you started your AOS after removal proceedings began, this is considered a red flag. In cases like this, I would recommend a lawyer.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

***** Moving from AOS from Family... to AOS from Student visa *****

OP, you started your AOS after removal proceedings began, this is considered a red flag. In cases like this, I would recommend a lawyer.

I understand that we sent the application out after removal proceedings. But we also got married before removal proceedings. We would have sent the application out much earlier, but we did not have enough money to afford the application fee. Does that play a factor at all?

I understand that we sent the application out after removal proceedings. But we also got married before removal proceedings. We would have sent the application out much earlier, but we did not have enough money to afford the application fee. Does that play a factor at all?

Did your wife have a requirement on her student visa to return back to her home country.

There is a USCIS/ICE directive that allows people in removal proceedings to have the opportunity to adjust their status. You should fall under that category.

Your wife has an Immigration hearing right? The Judge should be able to order her case dealt with but it looks as if you were denied without interview which is wierd.

One of the others with more knowledge of this will post soon, Im sure.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Timeline

This website is specifically geared toward immigration problems:

Immigrate2US - Removal/Deportation Proceedings

Also, here are some informative links:

The Removal Process

Forms of Relief

Right to Notice in Removal Proceedings

Good luck.

I am going to move your thread from the AOS From Other Visa forum over to the Effects of Major Changes Forum.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

One question, Did your wife go for her hearing in front of the judge in Kansas City before sending in the AOS papers? failing to appear for the hearing can really hurt her chance of winning the battle.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

At this time, you would need an Immigration Lawyer to represent your wife to the deportation hearing on May 2011.

Find a good lawyer and check those lawyer that they recommend.

IHMO, talk to a lawyer and make sure that you feel comfortable with the lawyer and ask question and see how they treat you.

Ask your lawyer what is their strategy is going to be. Try to find out from your lawyer if they know what they are doing and see if they are willing to talk to you about their strategy. Some lawyers care for their clients and some don't. There are some members here in VJ that were taken advantage by lawyers.

You and lawyer can appeal the I-485 denial. Since she is going for the deportation hearing, your lawyer can request the immigration judge to get your wife's GC instead during her deportation hearing if she has an approved I-130 and then request to close the deportation order. Anyway, your immigration lawyer will tell you your strategy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Filed: Other Timeline

1. In August 2008, my wife comes from Kenya on a student visa to attend college at Drury University in Missouri. She also obtains employment where I work at . . . . We have never been in trouble for anything.

Hmmm . . . how did your wife obtain employment with a student visa? What did she state regarding her immigration status on the I-9? Maybe here is the answer to your question.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Student visa holders are allowed authorized employment.

Nope Students are only allowed to work on campus 20hrs per week - unless they have special authorization.

If your wife did not have authorization and she was working out of campus, she became illiegal since then.

Your Bio and EAD went thru as the dept had not synced up on her removal procceding, until that point they were treating her as normal application.

She only got denied when they found out she has removal procceding going on.

They can deny you based on that itself, they do not have to wait until the end of hearing.

So you will have see how it goes with the judge in May.

I am a concerned husband for my out of status wife. We just received notice today that my wife's Adjustment of status based on marriage has been denied. Tomorrow was suppose to be her interview. My wife is from Kenya and I am a US citizen. We currently live together in Missouri. Why did this happen and what does this mean? Here is an outline of our situation:

1. In August 2008, my wife comes from Kenya on a student visa to attend college at Drury University in Missouri. She also obtains employment where I work at. This is the first time we meet.

2. In January 2010, my wife (girlfriend at the time) became out of status due to dropping out of school. We both still are working together at the same place.

3. In July 2010, my wife and I got married. We move in a house together where we have lived since then.

4. In September 2010, my wife gets contacted by an immigration officer due to her being out of status. This is when removal proceedings begin. We are informed that she is to see an immigration judge in Kansas City during May 2011 for removal proceedings.

5. In November 2010, we send out I-485 (Adjustment of Status based on marriage), I-130 (Immigrant Petition for Relative), and I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization).

6. In January 2011, we receive notice that our interview for adjustment of status is on March 10, 2011.

7. In December 2010, we go to Saint Louis for my wife's biometrics. There was no problem there.

8. In February 2011, my wife receives her employment authorization. We start to breathe a sigh of relief because she had been working this whole time illegally due to her being out of status(her paycheck takes out taxes though).

9. This is when things started looking bad. On March 1, 2011, we received notice that my wife's adjustment of status interview had been canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. The letter said we would be informed later of a new date for an interview.

10. Today, March 9, 2011, we received notice on the USCIS website that my wife's adjustment of status case had been denied. It said we would receive a letter explaining why and how to appeal if we wanted to.

We are very concerned right now. We were confused when the interview had been canceled due to unforeseen circumstances, now we are even more confused as to why her case has been denied without an interview ever taking place. We also do not understand how she was able to obtain employment authorization if she isn't able to obtain adjustment of status. We called customer service today and explained our situation, but all they could tell us was to wait for the letter explaining the reason for the denial. Once we receive that letter, I will post it on this discussion board. As of right now, what is the meaning to all this? Did we do something wrong? Or is this an error on the part of USCIS? We have done everything right. I am a college graduate that works and pay taxes. My wife will be a graduate once she can get back into school. She also pays taxes. We have never been in trouble for anything. We just want for her to get her green card so she can get back into school and we can move on in our lives. If anyone can share similar experiences or their knowledge on the matter, we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

-Concerned Husband

Call a live person to make sure,,,that web (uscis) is not always correct. My wife is already here,,,yet the web site still says awaiting RFE response.

Noa1-2010-01-06 Noa2-2010-27-10

Nvc recieve 2010-02-11

Ds-3032 e-mailed 2010-03-11

Recieved Aos bill 2010-05-11

Paid Aos bill 2010-05-11

Sent Aos -n- IV 2010-07-11

Aos accepted 2010-17-11

Paid IV bill 2010-11-11

RFD 2010-??-12 They want the green NBI police clearance

not the one from the local municipal

Nvc received RFD response and avr back to review 2010-16-12 (Some reason it now says received RFD 2010-30-12)

Sif 2010-N/a

Sif 2011-04-01

Case complete 2011-05-01 Wow a real Journey

Interview date notification Feb 20th,,2011

Interview Feb 4th,,,2011 8:30 a.m. Only two weeks from Notification Date

Medical Jan 31st

Approved Feb 4th Only three questions!!!

Visa recieved Feb 10th

Landed on American soil Feb 12th

Timeline

Thank you all for the replies. My wife and I greatly appreciate it. We haven't received the letter yet, but hopefully it will come in tomorrow and I can share what it says. It has been said that the possibility of my wife being denied adjustment of status is because she is in removal proceedings. If that is the case, then I find that very discouraging. When my wife was contacted by an immigrating officer back in September 2010, she came to him voluntarily. We hadn't sent the application yet because we did not have the money for it. We asked this immigration officer if these removal proceedings would affect my wife getting an adjustment of status once we sent in our application. The immigration officer told us that it shouldn't and that he has seen lots of people get adjustment of status that shouldn't have. He also told us that our court date in May would be dropped once my wife got her adjustment of status. If my wife didn't get adjustment of status because she is in the middle of removal proceedings, I feel like she has been lied to. It isn't fair. She never tried to hide. She turned herself in voluntarily. We sent the application out once we saved up enough money. Now we find out we might have to hire a lawyer and fight this battle in court. This is crazy. I am just a recent college graduate getting ready to go to grad school. I have no idea how I am going to pay for all this. Is it possible that when we see the judge in May that he will give my wife adjustment of status once he sees all the details to our case? We just want to be past this. We are very worried. Again, thank you all for your responses.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.