Captain Ewok

Ask the Embassy. Your Top Questions will be answered by an actual Consulate Officer

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
I could be mistaken, but it seems like on VJ we see many beneficiaries emerge from their Consular interviews unsuccessful, but without a clear understanding of exactly why the visa may not be granted, and no piece of paper giving a reason.

I would like to know what is the best way in these cases to respectfully insist that a reason be given in writing, to either the petitioner or the beneficiary or both, as to why the visa will/may not be granted.

Also, it might be helpful to learn what, if any, recourse is available to those who would like to challenge the finding(s) of the CO at the interview. What is the recommended process? How can one handle such a situation in such a way as to keep the petition/application package at the Consulate until things are resolved?

And are the answers to either or both of these questions specific to the Colombian Consulate, or might they apply anywhere?

Just a few ideas from my reading here. We're through all that, but I bet others would find the information useful.

Thanks... and thanks VERY MUCH to the Colombian Consulate in advance for providing this rare opportunity!

Maya

good one !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I would be interested in knowing what the Consulate feels are the most common mistakes/deficiencies in applications, and what advice they would give applicants to ensure that our interview runs smoothly and to improve our chances of a positive outcome. Basically, I would like to give the Consular Officer a chance to tell us what we can do to make his/her job easier.

Amen to that!!! I agree, and would like to know the answer to the same question. What can we do to make their job easier and improve our chances?

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi All-

We have gotten permission from the Columbian Embassy to submit up to ten member generated questions on any related immigration issue at the Consulate Stage of processing. These questions can be general in nature and may apply to all consulates and petitioners across the world -- or you may ask questions that may be specific to the Columbian consulate itself. This is a rare occation and hopefully we can come up with a list of roughly ten questions that they will answer for us :).

Post your questions below and we will take the top 10 most moderated questions and submit them. They will be reviewed by the consulate and their answers will be posted back for everyone to read. :)

In regards to DNA testing.....Does the Consulate Officer have a legal right to demand DNA tests to be performed on an applicant after all USCIS and NVC processing has been approved? If an applicant refuses to submit to DNA testing, can their application be denied?

DNA tests on applicants? I have never heard of this and why would it be necessary? I have only heard of it being required for claim a US birth abroad.

04-21-2006 | Marriage in Santa Ana, CA
I-130 Process
06-29-2006 | Mailed to CSC
08-23-2006 | Was told application was rejected & sent back
08-30-2006 | Recieved rejected package
09-01-2006 | Resubmitted I-130
09-08-2006 | NOA1 (now that's more like it)
09-13-2006 | Recieved NOA1 in the mail
12-19-2006 | Recieved email RFE
12-20-2006 | Recieved RFE in mail
12-22-2006 | Sent out RFE info
01-09-2007 | NOA2 Email received!
I-130 at NVC
01-24-2007 | Case Number Assigned
02-06-2007 | Emailed DS-3032 COA
02-09-2007 | NVC confirms COA in email
02-20-2007 | DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed
02-26-2007 | Received DS3032 and AOS Fee Bill
02-28-2007 | Mailed AOS Fee Bill and check
03-13-2007 | I-864 received
03-21-2007 | I-864 sent
05-16-2007 | IV Bill resent from NVC (never got the first)
06-02-2007 | IV Bill received
06-05-2007 | IV Bill payment sent
06-26-2007 | Received DS230
06-29-2007 | Mailed DS230 to NVC
08-15-2007 | NVC process complete but was sent back to US CIS (#@$%#$% this sucks)
11-08-2007 | I-130 returned to NVC
11-08-2007 | Requested expedited interview due to daughters illness
11-21-2007 | NVC approved expedited interview. Mailed to Montreal Embassy Nov 20th
12-11-2007 | Told by contact at US Consulate in Toronto that our interview date will be on Jan 4th.
01-04-2008 | Interview In Montreal. VISA GRANTED
01-11-2008 | Arrival in the US
11-09-2009 | Biometrics taken for 10 year green card
01-20-2010 | Approved- 10 GC ordered for production

06-22-2013 | N-400 package sent

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Hi All-

We have gotten permission from the Columbian Embassy to submit up to ten member generated questions on any related immigration issue at the Consulate Stage of processing. These questions can be general in nature and may apply to all consulates and petitioners across the world -- or you may ask questions that may be specific to the Columbian consulate itself. This is a rare occation and hopefully we can come up with a list of roughly ten questions that they will answer for us :).

Post your questions below and we will take the top 10 most moderated questions and submit them. They will be reviewed by the consulate and their answers will be posted back for everyone to read. :)

In regards to DNA testing.....Does the Consulate Officer have a legal right to demand DNA tests to be performed on an applicant after all USCIS and NVC processing has been approved? If an applicant refuses to submit to DNA testing, can their application be denied?

DNA tests on applicants? I have never heard of this and why would it be necessary? I have only heard of it being required for claim a US birth abroad.

Yes, I have heard that some applicants (family based sponsorships) are requested at times to have DNA testing to prove the relationship is real. And that at times this is a demand by the Consular officer with the threat that the application will be denied without this additional evidence provided.

There was one guy sponsoring his wife on this board (from Vietnam) and the Consular Officer asked for her to undergo DNA testing. The petitioner was surprised and asked, "Do they think my wife is my sister?"

I read in a news article that the Department of State said DNA testing is "voluntary" by the applicant. But on the flip side I have read stories from applicants saying they were FORCED to do DNA testing or else have their application denied.

I think there needs to be clarification over whether it is REQUIRED or VOLUNTARY.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Why is JFK the only POE granting K1s a temporary EAD stamp? and is there a plan to change this in the future so that all POEs grant this benefit?

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

I would be interested in knowing what the Consulate feels are the most common mistakes/deficiencies in applications, and what advice they would give applicants to ensure that our interview runs smoothly and to improve our chances of a positive outcome. Basically, I would like to give the Consular Officer a chance to tell us what we can do to make his/her job easier.

:thumbs:

Fantastic question

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
This is great! I have two very important questions. My wife's IR1 case just went from NVC to Islamabad consulate in Pakistan.

Question 1) We need to change my wife's Physical address and Phone Numbers in Pskitan, so she can recieve the Packet at the right address. What is the best way of doing it?? Email or by contacting the emabassy through mail??

Question 2) We have gone through the Standard NVC processing and will need to submit all the docs to the embassy. If we do not recieve the Packet from the Embassy, can we submit all the docs if we find out that the emabassy has mailed the Packet??

I am asking this because the mailing system in Pakistan is not that good and I am afraid that they may mail the Packet to the Old address.

Thank you so much for all your help!!! Regards, kim

I have the same exact question number one, I didn't list a mailing address for my wife, I only listed her home location, but I did put in her cellphone number.

please pass question number one to the embassy, it's a good one

thanks

ditto, fiancee moved and there is no form for it apparently.

also, my question - is it possible to submit forms especially I134 and supporting evidence by email or fax directly to embassy? Delivery is slow, expensive and unreliable in some countries.

Petition sent priority mail 6/4/07

Received by VSC 6/6/07

Touched 6/13/07

um ... hello?

Touched 12/20/07, after change of address

approx. 1/3/08 - starting to wish VSC staff acquire untreatable stinkfoot

1/17/08 Ombudsman filed formal inquiry.

Touched 2/3 ... wow that was fast, only 8 months to get around to us

Approved 2/20 NOA2

Case arrived Manila USE 3/4

Interview scheduled April 22!

Medical 4/14

Approved!! Interview on 4/22 - just one question!

Visa in hand May 10, whew!

Tickets for poe may 24

Married july 2008

2 year resident w/o interview 2/09 (no more hiding in the basement jokes)

kid 1,Bradley, 10/2009

10 year resident 2/2011 w/o interview

kid 2, Jeffrey, 8/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My question is about Police Records.

My wife who is Chinese and will interview at the Guanghzou Consulate worked in Dubai U.A.E and got her police certificate before she left for good in 9/2006. I heard that this may be expired (1 year) by the time she gets interview sometime in 2008.

I saw this at this website:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3698.html

Police Records

Available, only if applicant is physically present in the UAE.

Police certificates may be obtained by any person, regardless of nationality, by personally appearing at the Central Police Headquarters located in the emirate of residence or former residence. When appearing to request a police certificate, the applicant should provide recent photographs, a letter from the requesting authority, the date of residence in the emirate, and their passport.

Not available by mail. Post recommends that consular officers waive the general requirement to obtain police certificates unless the applicant lives in the UAE.

So, my question what should she do if the V.O. wants a new police record or if they are aware of this statement from http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3698.html ?

Question about AP/AR: What is the general timeline for AP/AR to be complete? Embassy also tells applicant that it would take 2-10 weeks or 2 weeks to 6 months, etc. These time ranges are very broad. Why can't the Embassy give a more specific deadline, like within 4 weeks, within 5 weeks, etc? Why does the AP/AR specifically target the male applicant?

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
Hi All-

Yes, I have heard that some applicants (family based sponsorships) are requested at times to have DNA testing to prove the relationship is real. And that at times this is a demand by the Consular officer with the threat that the application will be denied without this additional evidence provided.

There was one guy sponsoring his wife on this board (from Vietnam) and the Consular Officer asked for her to undergo DNA testing. The petitioner was surprised and asked, "Do they think my wife is my sister?"

I read in a news article that the Department of State said DNA testing is "voluntary" by the applicant. But on the flip side I have read stories from applicants saying they were FORCED to do DNA testing or else have their application denied.

I think there needs to be clarification over whether it is REQUIRED or VOLUNTARY.

The guidelines for the CO's are to request and never require DNA tests. If they force it they are going against regulations.

Due to lack of staff and resources DNA tests have been implemented in 3. world countries, mainly sub-saharan Africa.

Fiances of the same ethnicity / race have to proof they are not related.

Parents have to proof paternity.

It all saves legwork for the embassies in the verification process and costs the petitioner/applicant an arm and a leg.

Other countries such as Germnay will screen their applicants for eligibility soon where needed.

I was told that if we don't do the DNA they won't proceed with the visa. Then they switched to yes you can submit documents instead of

DNA if you so chose but the verification process can take a year or longer.

So of course we complied. It was a three ring circus to say the least.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
I would ask: what is the best way to go about correcting (important) filing errors...(Mirla's case comes to mind - RFE for crimes never commited)

Saludos,

Caro

To echo what Caro asked, but a bit more specific. Errors prior to filing.

Our marriage certificate had a minor error. We looked into fixing it but called the state dept first. They said it MUST be fixed. I called the embassy and they said it was fine. The error was a confusion in the City and State on the U.S. license for a city that does not have a state in a foreign country. The people in the Embassy were familiar with this type of error or better stated the essense common usage. So we have driven on with our original certificate. Our lawyer (not an immigration lawyer) said that the error was minor and the immigration would accept it. So my question would be:

What constitutes a material (major) error that must be corrected on a marriage, birth, or other key certificate? and what is a minor or overlooked error?

CSC 2009-02-20 Aplication for Action I-824 Request Processing of I-130

CSC 2009-02-23 I-824 Received at CSC

CSC 2009-02-24 Touch

CSC 2009-06-11 Link to I-130

CSC 2009-06-11 Approval Notice

NVC: Arrived 2009-??-??- Departed NVC

ARG: 2009-??-?? At the Embassy,

2009-??-?? Packet 3 sent (emailed),

2009-??-?? Medical,

2009-??-?? Packet 3 at Embassy

2009-??-?? Interview

2009-??-?? (Visa) picked up at the Embassy

POE: 2009-??-?? Atlanta

I-129F 2007-04-26 Sent to NBC

NBC: 2007-05-02 NOA1

CSC: 2007-05-16 Case Transfered to CSC

CSC: 2007-08-06, 2007-09-28 Touches

CSC: 2007-10-29 Touch: NOA2: Approval - (186 days)

CSC: 2007-11-02, 2007-11-06 Touches

NVC: 2007-11-13 Arrived, 2007-11-16 Departed NVC

ARG: 2007-11-21 At the Embassy, 07-11-21 Packet 3 sent (emailed), 07-11-22 Medical, 07-11-27 Packet 3 at Embassy

ARG: 2007-12-20!! Interview Approved!, 2007-12-21 (Visa) picked up at the Embassy

POE: 2007-12-26 Atlanta

I-130 2007-04-04 Sent to TSC

TSC: 2007-04-13 NOA1

CSC: 2007-06-16 Case Transfer

CSC: 2007-08-06, 2007-09-28 Touches

CSC: 2007-10-29 Touch: NOA2:Approval - (208 days)

CSC: 2007-11-01, 2007-11-06 Touches

NVR: 2007-11-16, NVC: 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Why is JFK the only POE granting K1s a temporary EAD stamp? and is there a plan to change this in the future so that all POEs grant this benefit?

Saludos,

Caro

It's a good question, but....

I believe the temporary EAD (and POE stuff in general) falls under the jurisdiction of the Dept. of Homeland Security, and not under the Dept. of State (which is the agency in charge of the Consulates)... so we'll have to wait for a brave DHS official who wants to make the same generous offer the Colombian Consulate official has...

:blush:

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Timeline

here is my problem:

We are going under security check extension and nobody knows about a timeframe for this it could take a year two even more so.

Here are my questions :

If after going through all this they don't aprrove the k3 what should we do ?

what should we aply for then ?

Should We cancel the k3 and go through another path ?which one? color="#FF00FF"][/color]

Edited by jrmach1

The journey is over we are divorced now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi,

We are at the consulate stage in Paris. We have received the first packet and we have everything on the checklist but the carte de sejour or residence permit as it is called in Paris, France. Should we submit everything or should I call or email them first and tell them we do not have a residence card. My fiance is a citizen of Algeria but is living in Paris without official papers. He applied for them but was denied by the French govrnment (no specific reason).

We would like to interview there. We have been truthful about everything and want to do what is right. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Sue

Sue

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.