NaNaNaNaBooBoo

Help! I called off K-1 Visa Wedding!!

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance and I have been together for over two years and have a daughter together. The relationship has had its ups and downs, but I really did love this man. Our wedding was set for this weekend, until today when the icing on the cake was delivered, I recieved a text message from his girlfriend in africa wanting to know why he left her for an american. Long story short, he has decided to go back to South Africa, he hasnt even tried to get me back. He is calling all his friends and laughing, while I am holding my daughter and rocking back and forth in tears.

Before he goes back to South Africa, he wants to visit his Congolese friends in North Carolina. I am devestated, heartbroken, and was set to move to Nepal with him in two weeks. Everything is crashing down, and now on top of it I must find out what types of legal obilgations I have regarding this man and immigration. Do I need to watch him get on the airplane to South Africa? Must I keep him in my sight at all times? I really do love him and don't want to see him in jail.

Just a mess,

Monica

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline
My fiance and I have been together for over two years and have a daughter together. The relationship has had its ups and downs, but I really did love this man. Our wedding was set for this weekend, until today when the icing on the cake was delivered, I recieved a text message from his girlfriend in africa wanting to know why he left her for an american. Long story short, he has decided to go back to South Africa, he hasnt even tried to get me back. He is calling all his friends and laughing, while I am holding my daughter and rocking back and forth in tears.

Before he goes back to South Africa, he wants to visit his Congolese friends in North Carolina. I am devestated, heartbroken, and was set to move to Nepal with him in two weeks. Everything is crashing down, and now on top of it I must find out what types of legal obilgations I have regarding this man and immigration. Do I need to watch him get on the airplane to South Africa? Must I keep him in my sight at all times? I really do love him and don't want to see him in jail.

Just a mess,

Monica

Better now than later! I am so sorry to hear this. Sounds like he just wanted the VISA!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I understand it that, if there is no marriage on a K1 visa by the time the 90 days since the applicant has entered US soil, then there is no obligation on the part of the US partner (other than to, perhaps let USCIS know). The non-US citizen then has to leave the US, get married and file supplement papers (AOS and applying under a "spouse" rather than fiance) or be in violation of immigration law due to being in the country illegally. Their intent was to get married within the 90 days and then apply for AOS (their green card as a spouse of a US citizen), and they failed to do that.

If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fiancé(e). After the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad. The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days or your fiancé(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing USCIS Form I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiancé), your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States. Until the marriage takes place, your fiancé(e) is considered a nonimmigrant. A nonimmigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.[source]

2005 August 27th Happily Married

Before he goes back to South Africa, he wants to visit his Congolese friends in North Carolina. I am devestated, heartbroken, and was set to move to Nepal with him in two weeks.

First, I'm real sorry to hear about your story. Be strong (F)

Second, I think his wanting to "see" his friends in NC may mean that was his real destination. He may just stay there illegally. As soon as he leaves your house, report to USCIS that you are not pursuing this and that he's in NC, not sure if he'll return to South Africa.

Second, how did you guys want to go to Nepal in 2 weeks? Did you not anticipate to do AOS? Because that would mean you'd have to one day start all over again with a k3.

12140.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just a mess,

Monica

I don't know how he could have gone with you to Nepal two weeks after your wedding, after arriving on a K-1, unless he didn't intend to return to the U.S. If you don't marry within 90 days of his arrival, he must leave the country and he cannot adjust status. He cannot marry another American and adjust status. He cannot bring his girlfriend here. You're not responsible for making sure he gets on that plane. Just let USCIS know if you do not marry. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: Albania
Timeline

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Looking back did you miss any signs that this might happen? Does not realize he has a child he is leaving behind?

I believe this is my biggest fear in this whole process. How to know someone is in the relationship for a happy life together or a free trip to america?

Well at least you did not marry him!!!

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Looking back did you miss any signs that this might happen? Does not realize he has a child he is leaving behind?

I believe this is my biggest fear in this whole process. How to know someone is in the relationship for a happy life together or a free trip to america?

Well at least you did not marry him!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Second, I think his wanting to "see" his friends in NC may mean that was his real destination. He may just stay there illegally. As soon as he leaves your house, report to USCIS that you are not pursuing this and that he's in NC, not sure if he'll return to South Africa.

Maybe we shouldn't make any assumptions about a person we don't know?

Monica, you don't have nay legal obligations at this point, and there is no need for you to watch your boyfriend get on a plane unless you really want to do it. Even if he decides to stay here illegally, you won't be prosecuted for this.

However, I'd recommend sending a letter to USCIS with his bio data and visa number, letting them know that the wedding is off and there is no intent to pursue AOS.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

I'm sorry about your story....All things will work for good with GOd.. I pray for healing for u and your beautiful daughter.. God bless your heart.

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

OMG !!! I am so sorry :(:(:( best of luck !

09/13/05 : AOS papers sent to Chicago

10/05/05 : checks cashed

10/05/05 : NOA 1 in the mail yehawwww !!!!!

11/29/05 : AP approoooooved !!!!!

03/06/06 : biometrics appointment

03/07/06 : touched

01/03/07 : interview letter in the mail

02/26/07 : interview finalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

AAAPPPRRROOOVVVEEEDDD !!!!!!!!!!! STAMP IN THE PASSPORT !!!!

03/06/2007: RECEIVED GREENCARD !!! NO MISTAKES !!!!!

01/27/09 : I-751 package mailed to Vermont

02/05/09 : check cashed

02/09/09 : NOA received

02/21/09 : biometrics letter received

03/07/09 : biometrics appointment

03/09/09 : touched

03/10/09 : touched

06/16/09 : APROVVVVVEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!! letter from USCIS received

06/30/09 : Greencard received!!! NO MISTAKES!!!

04/12/2010 : N-400 package sent...fingers crossed for a fast approval.....

06/07/2010 : Biometrics in Orlando

08/09/2010: Citizenship interview - PASSED!!!!

08/13/2010 : OATH Ceremony - Finally a US citizen and DONE with USCIS!!!!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

He has only been here since Aug 6 ?

Please surround yourself with a strong support system. You have a lot to deal with emotionally right now.

If you need to talk you can pm me.

I am praying for you and your daughter. I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Dear Monica,

While your situation sounds awful and terrible, learning all this before you married him is a God send. That doesn't ease your shock or pain, I know, but down the line you will be grateful. Because you didn't marry him, you won't have the legal obligations that you would have had.

Contact the Department of State and advise accordingly. The sooner you send a letter, the more credible your position is. You don't want to be accused of immigration fraud or collusion. If you can, stop protecting him from his own actions. Send that man packing! Over time, you will be reconciled to this sudden turn of events. You have a child to protect and care for.

MM and MS

Just a mess,

Monica

MM and MS

San Francisco and Istanbul

I-129F Received (CSC): February 21, 2007

Filing Fee Check Cashed: February 26, 2007

NOA1 Issued: February 28, 2007

Touched: March 1, 2007

Touched: May 7, 2007

RFE Issued: May 8, 2007

RFE Reply Sent: June 25, 2007 (wrong PO Box)

RFE Reply Sent: July 12, 2007 (correct address)

RFE Reply Received (CSC): July 19, 2007

Touched: July 20, 2007

NOA2 Issued: July 27, 2007

Petition Received (NVC): August 20,2007

Petition Sent to Embassy (Ankara, Turkey): August 22, 2007

Packet 3 Arrived: September 11, 2007

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm so sorry this happened to you :( . Like others have said, it's better that this happened before you were married than after. Don't let it bring you down, try to stay strong for your daughter (F).

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

Filed: Timeline

Just a mess,

Monica

Im so sorry to hear this.

I wouldnt wait till he leaves to call USCIS, I would do it now. Tell them he lied on his application, intent to marry, and interview. He arrived here under false information. I think they will react quite reactive.

God bless you, and your beautiful daughter..we are praying for you..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.