FONA

DS-260 crime sections - Verdict Appeal

45 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

If you are acquitted are then all you need to do is truthfully declare the arrests. 

But don’t trivialise it or assume any one of those things won’t be any issue if you’re convicted. People with one crime from decades previously that didn’t receive a custodial sentence can be inadmissible to the US for life. Given how tough the US is on those with a criminal record then if you are convicted then you’re not likely to even be able to visit the US for quite some time (if ever). 

But you’d need a lawyer, it would absolutely not be a DIY case. They’ll tell you for sure if you’ve any chance of going to the US. Take it one step at a time - wait and see what sentence you get, then you can consult with a good lawyer if you do get selected in the DV. Or even if you don’t and just want to find out if you can go to the US in the future. 

I've just heard that they are tough on Felonies, rape, murder, drugs and those kind of stuff. In the end, many people do errors in their lives you know. My crimes are very small, and if one is honest I don't think it should be a problem. But yes, I will hire a lawyer, the thing is, I've heard that DS-260 form needs to be filled in pretty soon after being selected, I don't know why, but it seems like everyone is saying it is important to fill that one out fast. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Comment with objectionable language removed**** Please keep VJ family friendly***Comment also violated the VJ Terms of Service by attempting to bypass profanity filters***

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, FONA said:

I've just heard that they are tough on Felonies, rape, murder, drugs and those kind of stuff. In the end, many people do errors in their lives you know. My crimes are very small, and if one is honest I don't think it should be a problem. But yes, I will hire a lawyer, the thing is, I've heard that DS-260 form needs to be filled in pretty soon after being selected, I don't know why, but it seems like everyone is saying it is important to fill that one out fast. 

It’s important because the longer you leave it the less chance there is of getting a visa due to the numerical limits on the DV. But your chances of getting selected are so small anyway so I doubt it will be an issue. 

And you’re again trivialising your crimes. They’re hate crimes, they’re not ‘very small’. If you do ever get a visa interview you’ll need to be contrite and not try to minimalise what you did. 

25 minutes ago, FONA said:

Might be worth reading this to see that it’s not just ‘rape, murder, drugs’ that they’re tough on. If you’d been convicted of those crimes after getting a visa you’d be deportable, so no idea why you think it won’t be an issue when just applying for a visa. 

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1227&num=0&edition=prelim

Edited by appleblossom

19 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Might be worth reading this to see that it’s not just ‘rape, murder, drugs’ that they’re tough on. If you’d been convicted of those crimes after getting a visa you’d be deportable, so no idea why you think it won’t be an issue when just applying for a visa. 

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1227&num=0&edition=prelim

None of my crimes are really mentioned there. Those are hard crimes. Also, do you know where in Sweden I can hire an American lawyer for this types of stuff? What kind of lawyer do I need? Some just work with student visa's and work visa's. 

I do appreciate your time to respond to my questions ! 

But, again, I get selected, should I just write on the DS-260 that the case is currently pending, because of an appeal? So they know it when I will have my interview? I will probably go for an B2 Visa anyway. But since the 260 needs to be filled out I would like to know what to put in the crime section, because the results comes out in soon 1 week and my appeal is 1 month after. So what can I write there since I yet don't know the full outcome of the sentence? 

56 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

***Comment with objectionable language removed**** Please keep VJ family friendly***

Funny you delete a completely valid comment, where I explain my crimes and even erase the words. I use those words to describe the seriousness of the crimes, not to use them against anyone. How has that even something to do with someone not wanting to keep something "family friendly"?

The political correctness  of some forums are really weird when it comes to moderation. 

15 minutes ago, FONA said:

None of my crimes are really mentioned there. Those are hard crimes. Also, do you know where in Sweden I can hire an American lawyer for this types of stuff? What kind of lawyer do I need? Some just work with student visa's and work visa's. 

I do appreciate your time to respond to my questions ! 

But, again, I get selected, should I just write on the DS-260 that the case is currently pending, because of an appeal? So they know it when I will have my interview? I will probably go for an B2 Visa anyway. But since the 260 needs to be filled out I would like to know what to put in the crime section, because the results comes out in soon 1 week and my appeal is 1 month after. So what can I write there since I yet don't know the full outcome of the sentence? 

They are mentioned in there - stalking and multiple CIMT's are the bits that seem to apply to you. For a lawyer - https://www.aila.org You need one that is experienced with criminal inadmissibility if you are convicted, but they can be anywhere in the world, they don't need to be in Sweden. 

You're asked about arrests on the DS-260 anyway, so just complete that bit honestly and then you'll be asked for more details later on in the process.

1 minute ago, FONA said:

Funny you delete a completely valid comment, where I explain my crimes and even erase the words. I use those words to describe the seriousness of the crimes, not to use them against anyone. How has that even something to do with someone not wanting to keep something "family friendly"?

The political correctness  of some forums are really weird when it comes to moderation. 

I found them highly offensive personally, they were racist and misogynistic, hardly 'family friendly'. You didn't erase the words, you just replaced a letter or two with a star, but it was still obvious what words they were. 

And they also contained a lot of personal info, so I think @Crazy Cat did you a big favour in deleting that post. 

9 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

They are mentioned in there - stalking and multiple CIMT's are the bits that seem to apply to you. For a lawyer - https://www.aila.org You need one that is experienced with criminal inadmissibility if you are convicted, but they can be anywhere in the world, they don't need to be in Sweden. 

You're asked about arrests on the DS-260 anyway, so just complete that bit honestly and then you'll be asked for more details later on in the process.

What is later in the process? What is the process after DS-260?

Just now, FONA said:

What is later in the process? What is the process after DS-260?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry/diversity-visa-if-you-are-selected.html

To the OP, Just because your conviction gets overturned on appeal does not give you a clean slate. You will have to produce police reports and after reading them the officers will have a picture of your personality. Just because you beat charges in court does not mean you didnt do it. Most of the time its because of a lenient Judge or sloppy police work. The officers will see through all that legal mumbo jumbo and deny you. Assaulting officers who pull you over is not taken lightly. Threats to do harm shows your violent way of thinking. Conviction is not needed to deny you as there are probably 100 other candidates to take your place. This is the consequences of your actions that day.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
40 minutes ago, FONA said:

******You posted in violation of the Terms of Service*****.  

Attempt to bypass the Forums language filter through the use of alternative characters to spell profanities or through the posting of images containing profanity.

I suggest you read them.

TERMS OF SERVICE - VisaJourney

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

12 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

To the OP, Just because your conviction gets overturned on appeal does not give you a clean slate. You will have to produce police reports and after reading them the officers will have a picture of your personality. Just because you beat charges in court does not mean you didnt do it. Most of the time its because of a lenient Judge or sloppy police work. The officers will see through all that legal mumbo jumbo and deny you. Assaulting officers who pull you over is not taken lightly. Threats to do harm shows your violent way of thinking. Conviction is not needed to deny you as there are probably 100 other candidates to take your place. This is the consequences of your actions that day.

Hahaha, funny guy

calm down man, If I get acquitted, then there is nothing they can do really. Acquitted means NOT guilty ! So in terms of LAW, it surely means I did NOT do it. Law is law, and opinions are OPINION. 

It is not impossible to not get denied, but they also understand people make mistakes. And my sentence isn't really that much, 

7 minutes ago, FONA said:

Hahaha, funny guy

calm down man, If I get acquitted, then there is nothing they can do really. Acquitted means NOT guilty ! So in terms of LAW, it surely means I did NOT do it. Law is law, and opinions are OPINION. 

It is not impossible to not get denied, but they also understand people make mistakes. And my sentence isn't really that much, 

You will still have to disclose the arrests, and provide court records. 

Yes, "they" understand that people make mistakes, but they are also free to decide to not give you a visa because we don't need someone who makes these kind of mistakes in the US. 

And I'm glad that you feel like your sentence isn't that much, but the crimes really are a big deal. When you are asked about the crimes during a visa interview, your attitude won't help. It's a serious matter, and you'll have to take it seriously. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.