itsvisatime

221G Strange and Unfair Request for a 6 months Wait to get a New Medical Exam

37 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!  I’m sure many of you are just as frustrated as me and my Fiancé with this K1 visa process.  We’ve been recently hit with the 221G twice, and in our case; it is truly a strange predicament given the evermore strange circumstances.  It all started with my Fiancé’s medical exam on March 6th, 2024 in Mexico City.  The exam went smooth; she opted to receive every required vaccination, and went through all the medical screenings.  Except when it was done, the clinic told my Fiancé that they will send her medical results to the Embassy in Ciudad Juárez themself instead of her bringing to the interview with medical packet in hand.

On interview day, March 14th, 2024, the interview was really strange in of itself.  We’re trying to get a K1 visa for my Fiancé; however, the interview officer only asked her 3 Questions and all only pertained to my Fiancé.  Have you been to the United States before?  Yes, on a B2 tourist visa.  Have you violated the term of your visa?  No, Sir.  Have you committed any crime?  No, Sir.  And that was the questions.  A brief moment after looking through his computer, he issued us a 221G.  He repeated the same statement that was on the 221G blue paper, the visa cannot be issued at this time due to “technical problem” medical exam was not present at the time of the interview.  He told my fiancé that the Embassy will hang on to her passport until they received her medical exam to make their final approval decision.

On March 26th, 2024, the embassy sent us a notice that they DHL overnight us something.  Sadly, it wasn’t the visa approval package, it was just her passport and another blue paper 221G.  Here is where it gets really strange.  The 221G stated that a final decision cannot be made because the medical exam was Incomplete.  They require us to take a new medical exam at the same clinic; however, a new medical appointment cannot be made no earlier than September 3rd, 2024.  From my understanding, the 221G request encourage the applicant to act immediately upon taking actions.  So why are they making us wait 6 months to get a new medical appointment?  And this time upon getting the result, they require us to DHL it to them.

We are truly frustrated because even if we try to get the new medical appointment, we are required to show the 221G form to the clinic in order for them to accept my fiancé.  I mean the 221G didn’t stated that she did not pass her medical.  It just that it was incomplete.  Why would we have to wait because they made a mistake on their end?  Please, has anyone had to go through this?  An extra 6 months wait just for a new medical exam for no fault of are own is truly unfair punishment.  Please let us know.  Thank you, Everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

did she have the chest xray?

Only the clinic can answer your query about why the exam was not completed

I would contact the clinic as you paid for a complete exam/  make them finish the work that was started 

it shouldn't a new exam but a continued process for one started

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

As @JeanneAdil said, contact the clinic to see if they will finish the exam soon.  If they insist on a new medical exam, I would have it done somewhere else, if at all possible. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Well if you're certain all is in order - involve your congressional representative (senator or congressman's) - congressional inquiries need to be responded to within certain amount of time. 

By the way, they should be giving everyone a copy of their medical exam so applicants have their own personal copy as it's a good starting point when establishing care with a US physician.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
11 minutes ago, itsvisatime said:

@Crazy Cat. We're afraid the clinic will turn us away because it says on the 221g that we can't make a new medical exam no earlier than September 3rd, 2024

Are you sure that is what it says?  The current medical exam expires in early September.  If it says "no earlier than September", it makes no sense to me either.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, itsvisatime said:

@Crazy Cat  yes, it says on the 221g that new med appointment cannot be made no earlier than September 3rd.

OK.  Thanks.  I am at a loss as to why they would say that. Weird.  Time to contact your Senator, imo.  Find your representative's web site.  Many, if not all, have an immigration Laison within their office. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

OK.  Thanks.  I am at a loss as to why they would say that. Weird.  Time to contact your Senator, imo.  Find your representative's web site.  Many, if not all, have an immigration Laison within their office. 

@Crazy Cat How do I go about doing that?  can you point me in the right direction?  I live in southern California.  thanks

congress.gov find your representative - type in your zip code and you'll get a list of congress members from your district and your two senators.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

@jan22 might be able to shed some light on this. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

Find yours per your zip code

A hint :  this is an election year 

find one trying to get reelected as he/she wants your vote

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.