Cisse913

Use Of Advance Parole Whilst AOS

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Next month I will finally get to marry my fiancée in the US. 

Following the marriage, we will apply to adjust my status so that I can apply for my EAD, Advance parole and eventually obtain my Green Card.

Our attorney has advised utlising the advanced parole to travel if/when issued due to risk of not being re-admitted to US on arrivial. At most, I would need to travel back to UK or South Africa for approx. 2-3 weeks max possibly once or twice whilst awaiting Green Card. Elderly and sick family members would find it hard to travel to visit me in USA during the period of me waiting to AOS.

I understand that re-entry to USA is not guaranteed, however I would be conscious of sticking to all appointments arranged by USCIS and all paperwork in order etc

Has anybody had/heard of any adverse experiences when using advance parole, and been denied re-entry at US port?

From what I have read so dar, majority of people who have travelled for a short stint have returned to US with no problems.

Any advice given would be much welcomed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Overall, with a valid AP you should not have any issue with CBP.  The biggest issues I have heard of is with airlines not recognizing AP as a valid form for entering the U.S.  here are a couple of links that may be helpful.  The CBP Carrier Guide clearly lists the AP Card (form I-512) as acceptable to board someone to the U.S., so it is a good idea to have a copy of the guide with you when traveling.

Good Luck!

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2023-Nov/Carrier Information Guide ENGLISH.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cisse913 said:

Our attorney has advised utlising the advanced parole to travel if/when issued due to risk of not being re-admitted to US on arrivial.

That is the ONLY way to leave, then re-enter the US without abandoning your adjustment of status. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is the ONLY way to leave, then re-enter the US without abandoning your adjustment of status. 

Certainly! However she advised against using advanced parole at all when issued, whilst awaiting completion of Adjustment Of Status which I am now finding to be odd. Possibly she was being overly cautious. 

I wouldn’t worry. AP is a valid document to travel with. The risk of anything going wrong is low, and anything weird that did happen would be fixable.

FYI: AP can take a long time to arrive after filing. Hopefully yours will be quick. 

59 minutes ago, Cisse913 said:

Certainly! However she advised against using advanced parole at all when issued, whilst awaiting completion of Adjustment Of Status which I am now finding to be odd. Possibly she was being overly cautious. 

She is being overly cautious.

Immigration lawyers are focussed on keeping you inside the US and obtaining your immigration benefit. 

Leaving the US before you receive your green card opens you up to the chance you might not be able to re-enter the US. 

If you are planning to pay for advanced parole (there will be a fee increase at the start of April and AP has a fee that is separate to the Internet 485) and you receive it before you receive your green card and you have to travel for serious reasons, I would travel. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Cisse913 said:

Ask her how many people, who had a valid Advance Parole document, have been denied entry into the US.  I have watched this board pretty closely for the last 8 years.  I know of none that I can remember.  Other members, who have been here longer, might know of cases.  The whole purpose of AP is to allow re-entry.  I would consider it to be extremely low risk. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Ask her how many people, who had a valid Advance Parole document, have been denied entry into the US.  I have watched this board pretty closely for the last 8 years.  I know of none that I can remember.  Other members, who have been here longer, might know of cases.  The whole purpose of AP is to allow re-entry.  I would consider it to be extremely low risk. 

Thanks for advising here, I will certainly ask her. Does anybody know the current approximate wait time for EAD and AP after filing? Accept approximate wait varies on case by case basis.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Cisse913 said:

Thanks for advising here, I will certainly ask her. Does anybody know the current approximate wait time for EAD and AP after filing? Accept approximate wait varies on case by case basis.

Per Visa Journey User data:  Note the sample size is small.

image.png.9517d64f0f34468643e92ad4f1fc4a61.png

image.png.49e2302eefef3a894d053783301ec82c.png

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Cisse913 said:

My spouse received her EAD 5 months post biometrics last year and her AP 9 months post biometrics. 

Never heard of any issues in all of my years.

Your lawyer is exaggerating, as do many.

Current timelines for every USCIS application is available on the USCIS processing times website. Comparing your case to others is inefficient as the timelines update monthly. Monitor the website as your source of (as) accurate (as it gets) info.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You will have no issues. My wife used her AP so many times I thought the card would wear out. 3 times in a 4 month period right after it was received. We used it via Land crossing, Sea Crossing ( On a cruise), and of course by air. Here I am rolling with global entry, and Mobile passport, and she is flying thru immigration faster than me. The AP card worked better than a passport I think. That's what it is there for. Use it once you get it. As a side note, keep track of all your international travel on a excel spreadsheet or something. Will make things easier come citizenship time.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Loren Y said:

As a side note, keep track of all your international travel on a excel spreadsheet or something. Will make things easier come citizenship time.

Excellent point.  We had to use several sources to dig up wife's travel dates. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 hours ago, Cisse913 said:

I reentered the US over 20 times while on AP, no issues. The only realistic risk of not being admitted is if the I-485 was found to be abandoned while outside the country, for example by missing biometrics/interview appointment or not responding to an RFE in a timely manner. Being out for max 2-3 weeks should be no issue at all.

You just need to be aware of the likelihood of ending up in secondary inspection every time you reenter on AP - if you're flying with domestic connections ensure you book flights with sufficient stopover. Personally I would not do anything less than 3 hours if traveling on AP with checked-in luggage.

17 hours ago, Cisse913 said:

Next month I will finally get to marry my fiancée in the US. 

Following the marriage, we will apply to adjust my status so that I can apply for my EAD, Advance parole and eventually obtain my Green Card.

Our attorney has advised utlising the advanced parole to travel if/when issued due to risk of not being re-admitted to US on arrivial. At most, I would need to travel back to UK or South Africa for approx. 2-3 weeks max possibly once or twice whilst awaiting Green Card. Elderly and sick family members would find it hard to travel to visit me in USA during the period of me waiting to AOS.

I understand that re-entry to USA is not guaranteed, however I would be conscious of sticking to all appointments arranged by USCIS and all paperwork in order etc

Has anybody had/heard of any adverse experiences when using advance parole, and been denied re-entry at US port?

From what I have read so dar, majority of people who have travelled for a short stint have returned to US with no problems.

Any advice given would be much welcomed.

In this case, CR-1 would have been a much smarter choice.

If you need to travel, I wouldn't rely on advanced parole.  There is no guaranteed timeline, and it is not a substitute for a green card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.