Dowoon

How soon can I get married once I enter the US?

30 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mrs. J said:

Correct there aren’t “RESTRICTIONS”.

When filing for the petition is when one may experience a denial. 
again please research the statistics to marry on a B1/B2. 
B1/B2 is a “Visitor Visa” 

not a permit to marry while on a visit to USA. 

Incorrect.  There is NOTHING in the terms of a B visa that prohibits a visitor from marrying.  They are prohibited from entering the US with intent to adjust status.  Very different.

As long as OP is truthful to CBP about the plan to return home and be properly petitioned for an immigrant visa, there is no problem with this plan.

My husband and I were originally planning nuptials here. He was truthful on the interview and he got his visitors visa, March 10th 2020. We didn’t want him to risk overstaying once everything hit down, so he never used it. I eventually went over and  we got married, and filed I-130 as was originally planned. No problems whatsoever, just simple truth. The best of luck. 

On 2/16/2024 at 8:56 PM, Redro said:

We got married 3 days after I entered the U.S. We applied for and I received my immigrant visa a few years later with no issue. 

Hi, thank you for your response.
I saw your immigration timeline, and it seems pretty smooth. 

If you don't mind, I would like to ask some questions regarding it.

1. Did you get married spontaneously? or did you plan to do it way before you came to the US?
  2. What was your answer when the CBP officer asked about the purpose of your travel?
  3. After you got married, how long did you stay in the US?
  4. Did you visit your spouse often while you were in the process of applying for CR1 visa?
    If yes, how long was the visit??

On 2/16/2024 at 11:54 PM, Loren Y said:

I marry people on Tourist visas all the time. I do at least 10 a year with no issues. Matter of fact, I am doing one tomorrow morning. As for waiting, no waiting if you come to Las Vegas,NV. I believe the fastest I married someone after an international entry into Las Vegas was about 1 hour, maybe 1.5 hours after they cleared customs( The ink wasn't even dry in their passport from the entry stamp when we got to the Marriage License Bureau... LOL!)

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience!

by your response, it's convincing enough that's my plan will be okay to do.

hopefully it went smoothly for you ^^

On 2/17/2024 at 12:36 AM, ShazShaz said:

From personal experience as an ESTA visitor who got married in Vegas:

My USC fiancée applied for marriage license online. Different states/counties have different wait times. Once applicable, I flew into US, we flew to Vegas, went to county clerk to pick up the paperwork, and got married next day. The officiant mailed back the paperwork, we flew back and started filing up i-130 online. A week later we got an email from county clerk on how to request/pay for a physical marriage cert. Once cert is in hand, we completed/submitted the I-130, enjoyed 2 mths together and then I flew home. 

Sooo the short story is there is no “wait time” to marry as long as the paperwork is ready and available. You can marry on a tourist visa, however be truthful when CBP asks you about your nature of visit. Impress on him that you are aware of how immigration works, your intention to marry and depart home to await the I-130 process, also have your return flight details ready (if CBP asks). 

If you intend to visit your USC often while waiting the I-130 process, keep the visits short and spaced out. CBP will deny you if they think you are misusing your b1/2 visa to live in US. 

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials and welcome to your CR1 journey! 

Hey, thank you so much for spending your time to write your journey.

Your response means a lot for us.

It's clearly that marrying someone in the US is acceptable and will go perfectly with our plan.

May I know what was your answer to CBP officer when they asked about the purpose of your visit?

Did you tell them that you were planning to get married in the US?

I was thinking to stay a few months and leave the US for vacation with my partner's family to Jamaica then comeback to the US.
Would it be an issue for the second visiting after I stay for months in the US?

I am planning to come home after my second visit.

Would it be considered as overstaying and misusing my tourist visa?

Edited by Dowoon
add some statements

On 2/17/2024 at 12:10 PM, Amunah said:

My husband and I were originally planning nuptials here. He was truthful on the interview and he got his visitors visa, March 10th 2020. We didn’t want him to risk overstaying once everything hit down, so he never used it. I eventually went over and  we got married, and filed I-130 as was originally planned. No problems whatsoever, just simple truth. The best of luck. 

Hi thank you for your response!
We were thinking about getting married in my country. But, I don't think we have enough time since he only visit for a week.

Just in case our plan will give a bad intention to the immigration, right now we are thinking about the online marriage.

Hopefully soon we can decide the best thing for our plan.

Congrats for your approval!

On 2/16/2024 at 7:16 PM, Crazy Cat said:

There are no time restrictions or nationality considerations.   

On 2/16/2024 at 8:15 PM, powerpuff said:

This is misinformation for any readers coming across this post. Show me one denial of I-130 for marrying in the US, especially when the person has left the US after.

@Daphne . is one of many who has married in the US as a tourist and then applied for CR1 abroad

And you do not need a permit to marry in the US. This is not the UK where you need a special visa to get married in the UK. Please stop spreading misinformation.

OP, your plan is perfectly fine. You can marry as soon as you enter as long as you depart back to your home country and pursue the CR1 visa.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:06 PM, Bob in Boston said:

And when you visit You are allowed to get married. OP never refered her Visit Visa as a permit to get married. 

On 2/16/2024 at 11:06 PM, Lemonslice said:

Exactly. 

Some states/counties might have a waiting period between the marriage licence and the marriage itself, but it's usually only a few days.

Someone with good organization skills, and faith/luck in escaping delayed flights, could plan something on the day of arrival. 

Hi guys!

I really appreciate for all your responses.

It helps a lot and convincing that our plan will be alright.

Once again, thank you so much ^^

57 minutes ago, Dowoon said:

Hi, thank you for your response.
I saw your immigration timeline, and it seems pretty smooth. 

If you don't mind, I would like to ask some questions regarding it.

Did you get married spontaneously? or did you plan to do it way before you came to the US?

We decided to get married a few months before.I even posted about our plans on Facebook. 

What was your answer when the CBP officer asked about the purpose of your travel?

Visiting friends and family. 

After you got married, how long did you stay in the US?

3-4 weeks I can’t remember 

Did you visit your spouse often while you were in the process of applying for CR1 visa?
If yes, how long was the visit??

Spouse and I lived overseas together. My B2 expired and we decided to apply for the immigrant visa instead of another visitor visa. 

1 hour ago, Dowoon said:

I was thinking to stay a few months and leave the US for vacation with my partner's family to Jamaica then comeback to the US.

Every admission to the US is subject to CBP inspection.  In general, as long as you are using the B2 for trips of modest lengths of time, and spending more time outside of the US than inside, it won't be a problem.  

"Overstaying" would be if you stay beyond the allowed time given by CBP at entry.   The date that you are allowed to stay until for any given visit is found on your I-94, an electronic record of admission to the US.

2 hours ago, Dowoon said:

Hey, thank you so much for spending your time to write your journey.

Your response means a lot for us.

It's clearly that marrying someone in the US is acceptable and will go perfectly with our plan.

May I know what was your answer to CBP officer when they asked about the purpose of your visit?

US might consider the second entry as the same trip. So you might not be allowed to re-enter the US (how long is this going to take more than 6 months?) 
I personally would not go to Jamaica with the family after spending a few months in the US after getting married. I would get married then go back home. 

7 hours ago, Dowoon said:

I was truthful. I basically bitched (complained) to the CBP officer that k1 will take too long, so I’m flying in to get married, apply for CR1, travel a bit and return home. He asked me about my length of stay and return flight info, which I could reply instantly. He then laughed and wished me luck with USCIS… Not all CBP officers are friendly and attitudes can be subjected by the passport you hold. 

Will your second trip be a connection to head home, or are you planning a second months-long vacation in US? Each entry to US will be at the mercy of the CBP officer. If you don’t find your own reasons compelling, neither will the officer. Tourist visas are meant for tourism. 

On 2/20/2024 at 9:02 AM, SalishSea said:

Every admission to the US is subject to CBP inspection.  In general, as long as you are using the B2 for trips of modest lengths of time, and spending more time outside of the US than inside, it won't be a problem.  

"Overstaying" would be if you stay beyond the allowed time given by CBP at entry.   The date that you are allowed to stay until for any given visit is found on your I-94, an electronic record of admission to the US.

Understood. I never plan to stay beyond the allowed time given by CBP officer because I don't want to risk my tourist visa and create issues for the spousal visa application. 

Thank you for your response!

On 2/20/2024 at 9:59 AM, Redro said:

US might consider the second entry as the same trip. So you might not be allowed to re-enter the US (how long is this going to take more than 6 months?) 
I personally would not go to Jamaica with the family after spending a few months in the US after getting married. I would get married then go back home. 

That's totally fine for me if they consider the second entry to be the same trip.
I will not stay in the US beyond the allowed time. It will take less than six months.

Personally, I can't cancel it because the trip has already been booked. Also, I am trying to show gratitude after his family invited me to go on a trip with them.

Edited by Dowoon

On 2/20/2024 at 3:00 PM, ShazShaz said:

I was truthful. I basically bitched (complained) to the CBP officer that k1 will take too long, so I’m flying in to get married, apply for CR1, travel a bit and return home. He asked me about my length of stay and return flight info, which I could reply instantly. He then laughed and wished me luck with USCIS… Not all CBP officers are friendly and attitudes can be subjected by the passport you hold. 

Will your second trip be a connection to head home, or are you planning a second months-long vacation in US? Each entry to US will be at the mercy of the CBP officer. If you don’t find your own reasons compelling, neither will the officer. Tourist visas are meant for tourism. 

You were so brave to tell them the truth, and you even complained about it.😅
I will just answer their questions as per my itinerary, which I did on my previous visit.

Basically, yes, it's connection to head home. Because there's no direct flight from Jamaica to Indonesia.
Of course, my partner and I expect to stay a little bit longer. But everything would depend on the CBP officer's decision.
Finger crossed 🤞 

Edited by Dowoon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.