Kryssie1067

Transit Visas in UK After K1?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey there!

Question: If my fiancé will be traveling to NY with me but we have a layover in London for 1 hour 50 minutes, does he need to obtain a transit visa? Or does the K1 Visa in his book count as having a US Visa (as I have heard that US is exempt from the requirement of transit visas in the UK — please correct me if I am wrong on this one).

Any idea?

4 minutes ago, Kryssie1067 said:

Hey there!

Question: If my fiancé will be traveling to NY with me but we have a layover in London for 1 hour 50 minutes, does he need to obtain a transit visa? Or does the K1 Visa in his book count as having a US Visa (as I have heard that US is exempt from the requirement of transit visas in the UK — please correct me if I am wrong on this one).

Any idea?

Country of nationality would certainly be helpful 

22 minutes ago, Kryssie1067 said:

Hey there!

Any idea?

https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa

22 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Hi there, thanks for responding. I’m not really sure why the commenters on Visa Journey tend to do this, by merely responding with a link or with some other form of curt response as though the querent is a moron. I’m not sure if it’s sarcasm or what else.

Of course I did thorough research before posting my question here because I wouldn’t wish to waste anyone’s time with something I could easily Google.

The website you provided was my first place of research. As you can see, it refers generally to anyone passing through. However, what I was unclear on was if K1 visas counted as a form of US visas.

Because here is another piece of information I discovered during research:

”London (Heathrow) has the Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV). While most flyers transiting through London require a DATV, exemptions exist for travelers bound for the US, Canada, Australia, or Japan with valid visas. If you are traveling to Brazil via London, a DATV is unnecessary.”

Therefore, I wondered if anyone here might have had any prior experience or information that might be helpful or offer some clarity.

59 minutes ago, Kryssie1067 said:

Hey there!

Any idea?

What is a K1 visa, if not a US visa?

3 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

What is a K1 visa, if not a US visa?

And here again the sarcasm…

I guess I will figure it out myself, or perhaps a kind person may come along.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by Kryssie1067

13 minutes ago, Kryssie1067 said:

However, what I was unclear on was if K1 visas counted as a form of US visas.

You're quick to point out that you don't like VJ member responses and that we treat people like morons, but honestly......the fact that this was unclear is astonishing.

8 minutes ago, Kryssie1067 said:

And here again the sarcasm…

I guess I will figure it out myself, or perhaps a kind person may come along.

Thanks anyway.

I don't think Lemonslice was being sarcastic.  It is a legitimate question.

10 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

You're quick to point out that you don't like VJ member responses and that we treat people like morons, but honestly......the fact that this was unclear is astonishing.

I don't think Lemonslice was being sarcastic.  It is a legitimate question.

Okay. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Kryssie1067 said:

Okay. Thank you.

It was a legitimate question. 

Here is the same information, in another format/as seen by airlines:

https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/before-you-fly/visa-passport-information/visa-passport-information-results/?widgetheader=visa&nationality=ng&destination=us&transit=gb

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Some depends on how u bought the ticket

I had a ticket to Africa but it  was boarding passes in 2 parts 

1 from US to London

go thru customs and border patrol and 

then 

go to registration to pick up ticket to Morocco

others flying from Moroc to US with ticket to Paris and CBP inspection and pick up ticket to US were not allowed to board plane as essentially they could have just got off in Paris and stayed 

so,  if u can pick up both boarding passes in Nigeria that bypasses the above problem 

BTW   1 hour and 50 minutes may not be enough time 3 hours is a better plan

Is it a layover or a change to a new flight? Typically, in any international airport transfer, as long as the two flights are on the same itinerary, the passenger will remain in the international terminal and not be required to go through immigration. In such a case, a transfer visa is not required.

If it's a change to a new flight, a visa (or visa exemption) is required to go through immigration to the main terminal for a new check-in. However, 1 hour and 50 minutes is not enough time to do this in most circumstances.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, rks_emelander said:

Is it a layover or a change to a new flight? Typically, in any international airport transfer, as long as the two flights are on the same itinerary, the passenger will remain in the international terminal and not be required to go through immigration. In such a case, a transfer visa is not required.

If it's a change to a new flight, a visa (or visa exemption) is required to go through immigration to the main terminal for a new check-in. However, 1 hour and 50 minutes is not enough time to do this in most circumstances.

both times the full itinerary was listed as layover but new boarding passes required at the stop and that is not the same as a transit 

Mine was purchased with debit card and i asked for atlanta to morocco

the other was parents of a friend and they were not allowed to board in Maracheck even though full itinerary said layover in paris /the ticket was a 2 parter with new ticket from Paris to US

especially when coming from Africa,  Europe countries want to make sure the person really boards the place for the US and just not get off to stay permanently in Europe

even the luggage has to be picked up and rechecked 

its so much easier to check luggage all the way to the final destination

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.