Mr Trav

N-400 questions (Merged)

14 posts in this topic

Hello all

I've looked through the n400 instructions but am still unsure. 

So my wife arrived here in December 2020 from Philippines and automatically got her permanent residency based on marriage. She qualifies for the 3 years. 

So my questions...

We are filing now and am unsure how to answer her 5 years residency. So essentially she lived back in Philippines from say June 1 2018 to Dec 10 2020 then arrived here. Ok. So do I still put down for the 5 years "December 24th (5 years from today) 2018 to the date she left the Philippines? Or what? I'm confused. Or just do the last 3 years? Help is appreciated. 

Also...

I'm not counting a closed loop  cruise from Florida as our passports were not stamped. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-resources/handbook-for-employers-m-274/130-acceptable-documents-for-verifying-employment-authorization-and-identity/131-list-a-documents-that-establish-identity-and-employment-authorization

Date of the actual card u receive in the mail should have POS date and USCIS considers the I 551 stamp temporary green card 

Adil arrived September  5th 2015 and applied late  Late June 2018

Edited by JeanneAdil

Ok so I'm a tad confused, sorry. Ok the date on her card is dec 12, 2020.we are filing now based on marriage. 

So under 5 years of her address history do I list going back the full 5? Or just 3? Based on 5 it shows like 2 full years in Philippines. 

Also...if I base it on 5 years...do I actually put down "dec 24 2018" as the start of her 5 years.....even though she was in Manila for a while before that?

I cannot find clear information anywhere. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

5 years...the US + Philippines part

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Thanks to all the help. Another question...

So for the first day in the USA I put down was dec 12 2020. Same date on her card and passport as she was IR1. please correct me if I'm wrong. 

We took one trip out of the USA to visit her family in Manila. Departed USA on 6/4/23 and landed in California on 6/26. How do we count those days? 

Thank you 

• Crazy Cat changed the title to N-400 Questions (Merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Same case questions merged into a single thread****

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Mr Trav said:

We took one trip out of the USA to visit her family in Manila. Departed USA on 6/4/23 and landed in California on 6/26. How do we count those days? 

My calculations say 21 since they want 24 hour days.  That means the day of departure and the day of arrival back in the US are not counted as outside the US. I think the online N-400 application counts them for you.

Chapter 4 - Physical Presence | USCIS

"USCIS will count the day that an applicant departs from the United States and the day he or she returns as days of physical presence within the United States for naturalization purposes.[3]"

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

First day in US is the morning she actually woke up in US. Basically, if she landed here at 8am, 12pm, 9pm etc, that's not US.

The day before that is the Philippines part...

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Timona said:

First day in US is the morning she actually woke up in US. Basically, if she landed here at 8am, 12pm, 9pm etc, that's not US.

The day before that is the Philippines part...

Incorrect. As per the Instructions for this form and others which require declaration of “ time out of the country” , days when you spent even 1 minute inside the US are days spent in the US not outside 

eg arriving flight lands at 11 pm .. Dec 20.. That day is considered to have been spent in the US 

departing flight leaves at 1 am Dec 20.. That day is also considered spent in the US 

USCIS will count the day that an applicant departs from the United States and the day he or she returns as days of physical presence within the United States for naturalization purposes.

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline

USCIS only counts full 24 hours. The very reason for this is because people end up in in 2 places on the same 24 hour time frame. So, since a day is 24 hours, where will you put it? In both? No. If I arrive in US at 11pm, I'll put that under the foreign country. Doing that provides a fluid continuity. 

I went to Mexico for less than a day. I didn't put it, per N400 instructions. 

For other days, eg arrived here 4pm on 12/12/12, I put that under foreign country. 12/13/12 was my start in US, just because you can't divide the 24 hour period. 

So my wife is filling her n400 out. We are basing it on marriage. She moved to USA as permanent resident on 12/1/20. Filing now. 

But its asking under part 9 time outside the USA in last 5 years. 

Do we really include the time she lived in Manila before getting her spousal visa approved? We are basing 5 years from 1/1/2019.

Thanks 

Timeline

***Another new topic merged***  @Mr Trav, Please keep questions concerning this case to this thread***

Edited by Crazy Cat

• Crazy Cat changed the title to N-400 questions (Merged)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.