greenstars

Spousal Visa Questions (Merged similar topics)

38 posts in this topic

This question is regarding the I-130 application form.  I'm sponsoring my spouse. She lives abroad.  I also am temporarily living outside the US for work, but not in her country. We plan to do consular filing for this reason.  Neither of us currently live in the USA, though I pay nonresident taxes in one state and vote, so I have what I understand is called "domicile" status in the USA (not 100% sure of the terminology)

Give all of the above, I'm not faced with completing a form where I've already provided my current address in a foreign country, which is of course essential for consular processing, bu now the form asks for "the address in the United States where the beneficiary intends to live".

Is it to provide a parent's address in the USA for this purpose?  I'm guessing that's what most people do.

I'm assuming the best course of ac

Edited by Crazy Cat

Hello,

I'm a naturalized US citizen sponsoring my spouse.  One of the questions asks "if you are a lawful permanent resident, complete item..." and it asks for class of admission, date of admission, and place of admission.

I don't believe that as a US citizen I am considered to be a lawful permanent resident, however as I previously was one (as a green card holder) then it might be the case that I'm supposed to fill out this data, as it did pertain to me at one point.  Can anyone clarify this please?

Timeline
18 minutes ago, greenstars said:

This question is regarding the I-130 application form.  I'm sponsoring my spouse. She lives abroad.  I also am temporarily living outside the US for work, but not in her country. We plan to do consular filing for this reason.  Neither of us currently live in the USA, though I pay nonresident taxes in one state and vote, so I have what I understand is called "domicile" status in the USA (not 100% sure of the terminology)

Give all of the above, I'm not faced with completing a form where I've already provided my current address in a foreign country, which is of course essential for consular processing, bu now the form asks for "the address in the United States where the beneficiary intends to live".

Is it to provide a parent's address in the USA for this purpose?  I'm guessing that's what most people do.

We provided my parents’ address, but that is also where we actually intended to live (at least for a bit).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
56 minutes ago, greenstars said:

One of the questions asks "if you are a lawful permanent resident, complete item..." and it asks for class of admission, date of admission, and place of admission.

You are not.  Interpret literally, and answer honestly.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• Crazy Cat changed the title to Spousal Visa Questions (Merged similar topics)
Timeline

****Similar topics for same case merged***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Use your US Address

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, greenstars said:

Use parents' address as where she will live, but also as your mailing address.  You living abroad has not bearing on Consular Processing.  Your spouse lives abroad, so Consular Processing.

10 hours ago, greenstars said:

Hello,

I'm a naturalized US citizen sponsoring my spouse.  One of the questions asks "if you are a lawful permanent resident, complete item..." and it asks for class of admission, date of admission, and place of admission.

I don't believe that as a US citizen I am considered to be a lawful permanent resident, however as I previously was one (as a green card holder) then it might be the case that I'm supposed to fill out this data, as it did pertain to me at one point.  Can anyone clarify this please?

You are no longer an LPR.  Not applicable.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on filing out the Online  I-130 form.  For the address section, I have a short gap of about 2 weeks where I moved out of one address, went traveling abround in 3 countires.  In order to not have any gap, I assume I should list these hotels as where I lived.  Is that correct?

Also I have a few years where I was living in shipping containers in Afghanistan, which only had a group mailing address, no physical address.  Should I put the military APO address for those years?  Or should I put my address back in the states which I left from and returned to?

I'm really afraid to leave any gaps in my 5 year address history, lest they revoke my application on the basis that it's not complete.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I wouldn't have listed the hotel, had you been touring your country. But since you went to different countries, list all addresses 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

On the online I-130, I have a few periods of unemployment.  Each is a completely different case and I'm not sure how to fill out the form for each situation.  If you can advise me, please mention which case you are referring to.

Situation #1:

There was a period of about 5 days of unemployment between my last day at one job and my first day at another job.  Technically this is a period of unemployment even though obviously I had another job secured.  I'm concerned about the system rejecting my application if I leave any gap whatsoever in my 5 year timeline.  So for this, my plan is to add a 5 day period where my employer is "unemployed", leave the details blank, and then put in the 5 day date range.  Does this sound good.

Situation #2:

I had a period of 1 year of unemployment, but during that year I did about 2 hours of work self-employment.  It was just self-employment as a consultant to an actual LLC.  I did use a business name for my activity, and filed self-employment on my taxes, but this was not a legally registered business, just me doing business under a name.  Also the business had no real address, as I was doing it remotely while traveling interationally.  A mere 2 hours of work.  Should I just add this whole period as unemployment?  One reason is this won't show up on background checks as an employer, so it will mess up the whole application I predict, if I include it.  I had that problem before having my background check get stuck because I couldn't prove a non-existent employer name that I used, even though it was legitimate self-employment work. 

Posted (edited)

I'm filing an online I-130 for my spouse.  When I get to the page with the question "For whom are you filing this petition?"  there is no way to proceed further.  The options do not appear. Additionally there is an error message saying unable to fetch.

fail to fetch error Screenshot 2024-01-07 140719.png

Edited by greenstars
deleted unnecessary comment

Timeline

***Same case topics merged.  Please keep your I-130 questions organized here under this thread***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 12/24/2023 at 3:37 AM, greenstars said:

Are you intending to do dcf

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Kyle6811 said:

Are you intending to do dcf

I don't think OP qualifies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.