Sunnyland

Health Insurance for GC Holder Senior Immigrant Patent

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi! We are in the middle of getting health insurance thru the health marketplace /obamacare (we may get some tax credit).  I am a US citizen (naturalization) and was wondering if we can add, as a dependent, my senior mother (over 70s) to whatever health plan we decide to get. My mother has her green card already and doesnt work. We just dont want to do anything that is considered public charge. We live in Florida. Thank you!  

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

In my case (mother in law) the healthcare.gov web site sent her information directly to my state's Medicaid program.  They've contacted me and asked me for information as if she is applying for Medicaid and a "credit" for her health care premiums.  We told them we didn't think she qualified in our state for Medicaid (71 years old, never contributed to Medicare or Social Security, just got here and doesn't have five years' residency), but I think the healthcare.gov system just sends it off to the state agency regardless.

It is not a public charge issue.

I doubt my state (Nebraska) is going to provide any credit, and I suspect we will be paying full price for her insurance as we make enough money not to worry about credits, but since the state's process was already started we decided to wait and see what happens.  At present, the best quote from healthcare.gov I have for her is around $950 per month.  That's a very basic policy...pretty much catastrophic insurance only, high deductible, etc.

OP, check Florida rules about Medicaid.  Some states allow legal permanent residents to apply for Medicaid on arrival.  Others have waits.  Even if she doesn't qualify for Medicaid you can certainly add her to your healthcare.gov policy.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Vickys_Mom said:

Even if she doesn't qualify for Medicaid you can certainly add her to your healthcare.gov policy.

Thank you for your input. We were thinking on adding her to our plan that we may get some tax credit / discount for next year plan but were not sure if that is allowed OR if we need to buy a separate plan for her.  We dont want to have any problem in the future because of that.

40 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

Thank you for your input. We were thinking on adding her to our plan that we may get some tax credit / discount for next year plan but were not sure if that is allowed OR if we need to buy a separate plan for her.  We dont want to have any problem in the future because of that.

I don't think a 71 year old would be eligible to be added onto your plan.  I think the dependant age limit is 25.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, IWander said:

I don't think a 71 year old would be eligible to be added onto your plan.  I think the dependant age limit is 25.

do you know where I can find more official info about age limit? I was under impression that you can add your GC holder senior parent but was not sure. The healthcare advisor we talked to didn't seem to know much about this topic and they just were ok with my mother being added to whatever plan we get for the next year. 
She has zero income in the US, she doesnt work. She gets her retirement from Argentina but that converted to dollars is almost equal to nothing. if she has to purchase her own plan,  can it be with a reduced premium based on non-income?  Thanks.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My wife and I have insurance through our respective employers.  Neither of our employers' policies would allow us to add my mother-in-law as a dependent.  They said a dependent had to be 26 or younger.  So I only asked healthcare.gov for an individual policy for her.

Healthcare.gov will insure all of you.  Whether it's a family policy with all of you or a separate policy for each...I don't know.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

1 hour ago, Sunnyland said:

do you know where I can find more official info about age limit? I was under impression that you can add your GC holder senior parent but was not sure. The healthcare advisor we talked to didn't seem to know much about this topic and they just were ok with my mother being added to whatever plan we get for the next year. 
She has zero income in the US, she doesnt work. She gets her retirement from Argentina but that converted to dollars is almost equal to nothing. if she has to purchase her own plan,  can it be with a reduced premium based on non-income?  Thanks.

You need to apply at the healthcare markplace for your state.

4 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

Hi! We are in the middle of getting health insurance thru the health marketplace /obamacare (we may get some tax credit).  I am a US citizen (naturalization) and was wondering if we can add, as a dependent, my senior mother (over 70s) to whatever health plan we decide to get. My mother has her green card already and doesnt work. We just dont want to do anything that is considered public charge. We live in Florida. Thank you!  

If you are not intending on purchasing her a plan directly, my suggestion would be to read through this thread carefully.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to Moving Here and YOur New Life, from Bringing Family of USC - the Topic is health care.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

Is your mother listed as a dependent on your tax return??

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

6 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

4 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

While your mother does not receive income from a U.S. source she does receive income from Argentina. She should research the tax obligations of reporting foreign pension in the US. Her income might not actually be 0. 

This link states children up to the age of 26 can be a dependent on parents insurance but nothing about parents being dependents for children

https://www.ncsl.org/health/dependent-health-coverage-and-age-for-health-care-benefits

Timeline
21 hours ago, Neonred said:

Is your mother listed as a dependent on your tax return??

Yes, my husband was planning to add her as dependent in the 2023 taxes.  

On 12/14/2023 at 9:53 AM, Sunnyland said:

Yes, my husband was planning to add her as dependent in the 2023 taxes.  

You might want to research the cost difference between getting her on a health care plan where she files her own taxes vs claiming her as a dependent and the cost of healthcare.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.