Lve

Question regarding GC renewal while temporarily living abroad

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Background: I have a 10 year GC that will expire in Spring 2024. Atm I am living abroad, waiting on my Re-Entry Permit approval for the last ~7 months.

I used a lawyer to help me apply for the Re-Entry Permit at the beginning of the year, and recently inquired about help with my GC renewal since I will be abroad until Summer 2024. The fee for the lawyer would be more than $3000; is this worth it? It seems like a crazy large amount to me.... But will I run into any problems applying for the renewal because of the situation I am in? Or is it the same straightforward application as it would be if I was in the currently in the US? 

Has anyone here dealt with GC renewal while abroad temporarily? Any advice would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You may consider coming back to the US to file the I90.

https://citizenpath.com/green-card-renewal-outside-us/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Pinkrlion said:

How are going to do your biometrics?

The biometrics might get waived. If they are not, I will have to do a quick trip.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

They do not waive them for I-90

My lawyer said they do. It is not a problem for me to do a last minute trip if I have to. 

Filed: Timeline
10 hours ago, Lve said:

Background: I have a 10 year GC that will expire in Spring 2024. Atm I am living abroad, waiting on my Re-Entry Permit approval for the last ~7 months.

I used a lawyer to help me apply for the Re-Entry Permit at the beginning of the year, and recently inquired about help with my GC renewal since I will be abroad until Summer 2024. The fee for the lawyer would be more than $3000; is this worth it? It seems like a crazy large amount to me.... But will I run into any problems applying for the renewal because of the situation I am in? Or is it the same straightforward application as it would be if I was in the currently in the US? 

Has anyone here dealt with GC renewal while abroad temporarily? Any advice would be appreciated.

Wait. Your apply applied for your re-entry permit while you were outside the US? Or you were in the US, but used the services of a lawyer to submit the application? If the application was submitted on your behalf while you were outside the US, I wouldn’t bank on it being approved. Unless there’s a recent change for the requirements to be in the US while filing for a reentry permit which I’m not aware of. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Sm1smom said:

Wait. Your apply applied for your re-entry permit while you were outside the US? Or you were in the US, but used the services of a lawyer to submit the application? If the application was submitted on your behalf while you were outside the US, I wouldn’t bank on it being approved. Unless there’s a recent change for the requirements to be in the US while filing for a reentry permit which I’m not aware of. 

I was in the US, and the lawyer submitted for me. You are correct, you have to be physically present in the US for the re-entry permit submission. The lawyer did tell me I do not have to physically be present in the US to submit GC renewal. I just want to know if anyone here has done this before while abroad, and if it is advisable to have the immigration lawyer help me with this as well since it is an unusual situation.

45 minutes ago, Lve said:

I just want to know if anyone here has done this before while abroad, and if it is advisable to have the immigration lawyer help me with this as well since it is an unusual situation.

Yes, the I-90 may be filed even when you are outside the US.  IMO, no need for a lawyer even with your situation, unless you have trouble understanding USCIS form instructions.  The VJ member below filed I-90 while outside the US for over 7 years, and still received their renewed GC just fine after returning stateside.  No lawyer involved --

Filed: Timeline
56 minutes ago, Lve said:

I was in the US, and the lawyer submitted for me. You are correct, you have to be physically present in the US for the re-entry permit submission. The lawyer did tell me I do not have to physically be present in the US to submit GC renewal. I just want to know if anyone here has done this before while abroad, and if it is advisable to have the immigration lawyer help me with this as well since it is an unusual situation.

Thanks for confirming the physical presence requirement for the re-entry permit.

So why are you contemplating paying some lawyer over $3K to fill out and submit the I-90 on your behalf when you can equally do so on your own? The processing is exactly the same whether you fill out the form on your own or some lawyer fills and submit on your behalf. 

36 minutes ago, Sm1smom said:

Thanks for confirming the physical presence requirement for the re-entry permit.

So why are you contemplating paying some lawyer over $3K to fill out and submit the I-90 on your behalf when you can equally do so on your own? The processing is exactly the same whether you fill out the form on your own or some lawyer fills and submit on your behalf. 

Potentially the US address problem?

OP, what's the plan, when are you coming back to live in the US?

I hope you know the reentry permit only covers 2 years max since the time you left the US (AFAIK)? Then you'd have to get a new one.

Timeline
10 hours ago, Sm1smom said:

Hahaha, that is what my husband said as well! I am considering it for a few reasons, firstly the law firm has all my info and they really helped me out with the re-entry permit process plus they would be mailing address. Also since it is a slightly unusual situation since I am abroad and I want to make this smooth. I was really surprised they quoted such a large sum for something I thought would be simple, so then I figured maybe it isn't that simple.... if that makes sense. I might juts be overthinking this. Visa journey has been a real help to me in the past and I was hoping someone here has dealt with a similar situation before.

Timeline
10 hours ago, OldUser said:

Potentially the US address problem?

OP, what's the plan, when are you coming back to live in the US?

I hope you know the reentry permit only covers 2 years max since the time you left the US (AFAIK)? Then you'd have to get a new one.

Thanks, yes I know all of that. We are here for my husband's job (he's American) and the plan is to go back next summer well before the two year mark. However at this point it seems unlikely I will get the re-entry permit before we move back. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Chancy said:

Yes, the I-90 may be filed even when you are outside the US.  IMO, no need for a lawyer even with your situation, unless you have trouble understanding USCIS form instructions.  The VJ member below filed I-90 while outside the US for over 7 years, and still received their renewed GC just fine after returning stateside.  No lawyer involved --

Thank you, that is really helpful. I will probably go ahead and just do it myself. We did all of the immigration paperwork without the help of a lawyer when I moved to the US in 2011, and this website really helped me then. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.