nat and dongyoung

Address Change 3 Days After I-485 Submission

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi there! 

My husband arrived in the US on July 2, 2023 with his K-1 visa. We married on September 6, 2023. We were approved for an apartment just recently and our move in date is in 3 days (September 23).

We have finally finished preparing our AOS packet including my husband's I-485 form, I-864 form, I-765 form, & I-131 form + supporting documents today. To avoid having to mail in a change of address form to USCIS after we move into our new apartment in just a few days, we wanted to see if changing all the form sections asking for our "Current Address" to our new apartment address would be acceptable or would that just cause further confusion? Each cover letter of the packet also lists our new address in the letterhead as well.

We don't want to cause any issues and just thought we'd see what the best option would be. We could also attach our lease with both of our names and move in date to the packet as well if this would help USCIS understand our situation.

have you send the package yet? not clear reading ur title

if you havent send the package yet, change all the forms to the new address and send it the day you move ( if you havent move yet)

i prefer to use the most updated address possible to avoid mailing issue. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Verrou said:

have you send the package yet? not clear reading ur title

if you havent send the package yet, change all the forms to the new address and send it the day you move ( if you havent move yet)

i prefer to use the most updated address possible to avoid mailing issue. 

Thank you for your fast response! Sorry for not being clear in the original post. We have not sent the package yet because we just wanted to make sure changing the address wouldn't cause any issues.

We will send it out once we move into the new address on the 23rd. Thanks again ☺️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Nat & Dongyoung said:

Thank you for your fast response! Sorry for not being clear in the original post. We have not sent the package yet because we just wanted to make sure changing the address wouldn't cause any issues.

We will send it out once we move into the new address on the 23rd. Thanks again ☺️

Change the address, and also submit the AR-11.  I should note, USCIS is not the best at handling address changes, but it is what it is.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You don't need to wait. Put the new address in your forms and send. 

Since you're 3 days away from moving, you're good. Those receipts come back after 2 weeks. So, it'll find you at new address...

Save three days

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Trying to wrap my head around why you are presuming it would be confusing...

K1s come to the US and input their address as one thing on the DS160 and then move before submitting I485. There is no crime in that.

The policy is to file an AR11 (online or mail) whenever an immigrant changes places of residence WITHIN 10 days of moving. WITHIN meaning 10 days before or at max, after.

File an AR11 and submit your case. 

You'll need your Noa1 receipt notice to get to you, right?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

If you are not living there, that isn’t your address.

Either wait to file the forms or use a stable mailing address of a friend or relative.

15 hours ago, Mike E said:

If you are not living there, that isn’t your address.

Either wait to file the forms or use a stable mailing address of a friend or relative.

100% agree with this statement.

20 hours ago, Timona said:

You don't need to wait. Put the new address in your forms and send. 

Since you're 3 days away from moving, you're good. Those receipts come back after 2 weeks. So, it'll find you at new address...

Save three days

I do not agree with this approach. Later in immigration, OP may be asked about addresses and dates at those addresses. So will they have to tell untruth to match submitted forms?

3 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd move first and then file with the new address on forms.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.