giulianoseguro

Wife and I filed N-400 together on the same day. Hers has been fully approved, mine is still under review - what gives?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My wife and I filled ours N-400 on the same day (June 16th, 2023) - she was called for an interview in about 2 months after, was approved and is going in for the oath ceremony this Friday. All in her process took a little under 3 months. 

We were hoping we would be doing this together but mine hasn't even moved to field office for interview, it still says under review. She even asked the USCIS officer during her interview and he said it's still under review and didn't have more info.

I'm wondering if this is common and what I should expect. We have an international trip coming in December so I'm trying to anticipate what I might need to do.

Thanks!

Giuliano

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Can't say for sure exactly what occurred, but this is what I would assume:

1.  Your wife's case was given to Officer A to adjudicate. 
  2. Your case was given to Officer B to adjudicate.
  3. Officer A had a smaller caseload and/or is faster at processing cases.
  4. Office B hasn't gotten to your case yet. 

Your wife's case was processed very quickly. There is still a good chance that you will get an interview soon. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, giulianoseguro said:

I'm wondering if this is common and what I should expect. 

Not unheard of.

What were your respective total days of physical presence in the past 5 years?

Timeline

Based on the topic history, I am not surprised. What happened with your step father’s petition of you? Seems you ultimately immigrated on an EB-3 from L-1B.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Not unheard of.

What were your respective total days of physical presence in the past 5 years?

Well above the threshold, out of the 5 years we've been physically present for at least 4.5 years counting time off for vacation etc

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Based on the topic history, I am not surprised. What happened with your step father’s petition of you? Seems you ultimately immigrated on an EB-3 from L-1B.

Correct - I withdrew the application for family based and immigrated on LB-1 and then EB-2. All through work, no family ties. Why would that have an impact here?

Timeline
23 minutes ago, giulianoseguro said:

Why would that have an impact here?

Since you withdrew from the family based visa process versus being denied, it should not have an impact unless USCIS has been trying to get your records of that from DoS, and DoS has not delivered. 

This isn't uncommon at all and is nothing to be concerned about.

My husband and I both applied for naturalization on the same day in October 2022. I had my interview and oath ceremony in January 2023. He waited until April 2023 for his interview and oath ceremony. 

I ended up chatting to the person in front of me in the line for my appointment and they also had the same experience, filed at the same time as their spouse but only he was called for interview and his wife was still waiting. 

Edited by Olly_

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.