tnkim

Not putting fiance's father name on application?

17 posts in this topic

So my fiance's father abandoned the family before she was born. She was raised by her mom, brother, and extended family on mom's side. Fiance's birth certificate does not have her father's name (only mother). No one in the family really mentioned the father, and when they did, it was not in any favorable light.

I don't even know the guy's name or where he is.

So my question is: on the I-129F, page 6, the section about the beneficiary's parents, can I just put down the father's name as N/A? And explain the situation in the Supplementary explanation section?

Edited by tnkim

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
23 minutes ago, tnkim said:

Does your fiancée know her father’s name and/or his location?

If so, if you enter unknown because you truly do not know, this can be interpreted as evidence you are not in a bonafide relationship with your fiancée.

Edited by Mike E

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Does your fiancée know her father’s name and/or his location?

If so, if you enter unknown because you truly do not know, this can be interpreted as evidence you are not in a bonafide relationship with your fiancée.

It's a sore, emotional subject. But I definitely will ask my mother-in-law. Yeah, I can see how that can be misinterpreted as something not bonafide.

Timeline
1 minute ago, tnkim said:

But I definitely will ask my mother-in-law

Lots to unpack there, starting with, your fiancee’s mother is not your mother-in-law.

For the K-1 process to be successful, the prime directive is the couple must not say or do anything that leads to suspicion the couple has married.

31 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Lots to unpack there, starting with, your fiancee’s mother is not your mother-in-law.

For the K-1 process to be successful, the prime directive is the couple must not say or do anything that leads to suspicion the couple has married.

Holy (removed). Thanks for the heads up. I have some pictures of the engagement but now it might be a good idea not to include them after reading some more about that.

Edited by Ontarkie
by-passing language filter

Timeline
22 minutes ago, tnkim said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have some pictures of the engagement

Say more about this engagement event.

48 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Say more about this engagement event.

Pictures were of us a dressed up, but not overly, exchanging jewelry. I don't want it to be misconstrued as a wedding. There were other dressed up relatives in the picture, fiance's elder relatives and my mother. I have other pictures that were more informal that had nothing to do with any type of ceremony so those I'll use.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, tnkim said:

Pictures were of us a dressed up, but not overly, exchanging jewelry

Is this an aspect of your fiancee’s culture?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
3 hours ago, tnkim said:

So my fiance's father abandoned the family before she was born. She was raised by her mom, brother, and extended family on mom's side. Fiance's birth certificate does not have her father's name (only mother). No one in the family really mentioned the father, and when they did, it was not in any favorable light.

So my question is: on the I-129F, page 6, the section about the beneficiary's parents, can I just put down the father's name as N/A? And explain the situation in the Supplementary explanation section?

Sounds exactly like my fiancee and her daughter (8 years old). Her daughter effectively/legally has no father.

Good luck to the both of us that it doesn't harm us getting accepted in some way.

9 minutes ago, PokuPoku said:

Sounds exactly like my fiancee and her daughter (8 years old). Her daughter effectively/legally has no father.

Good luck to the both of us that it doesn't harm us getting accepted in some way.

Good luck to us!

I think I'll just try to get the name and DOB of my fiance's deadbeat dad and provide an explanation why his name isn't on the birth certificate.

Timeline
1 hour ago, tnkim said:

Yes, it is. It's part of Vietnamese culture. However, I'm having second thoughts about including pictures of it since I'm not sure how culturally sensitive / understanding the person who'll look at my file will be.

I think you are too married for I-129F. Get legally married, and file I-130 so that there are no problems.

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
18 hours ago, tnkim said:

Pictures were of us a dressed up, but not overly, exchanging jewelry. I don't want it to be misconstrued as a wedding. There were other dressed up relatives in the picture, fiance's elder relatives and my mother. I have other pictures that were more informal that had nothing to do with any type of ceremony so those I'll use.

In your fiancées culture, what is the engagement rite regarded as? Did you exchange vows ? Rings ? Or gifts? In her culture can she be regarded as your wife now?

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.