SnowColdIce

Do you need to propose to your girlfriend before you can file for a K1 Visa?

34 posts in this topic

You do not need an engagement ring, formal proposal, or wedding plans (other than the obvious plan to marry somewhere in the US within 90 days of entry). 

We had none of those. 

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Do you need to propose to your girlfriend before you can file for a K1 Visa?
On 5/14/2023 at 8:39 PM, SnowColdIce said:

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I met while on a trip. We exchanged numbers we were purely friends then. She went back to her country, and I came back to US. We kept talking as friends and as usually things goes, we planned a trip to see each other for 2 weeks, we did and it was amazing and all great. Because we have been talking for so long and also because we are already planning another trip to see each other and be together, we also discussed the K1 possibility since we do want to be together. I have not proposed yet, and I completely understand the whole K1 process and it's requirements. However one thing stood up to me, do I need to be engaged to her before starting the process? Can I start the process, get engaged, then marry as soon as she come? I have evidence of our intentions, due to chats, and also photos of us together since we were a relationship pretty much from day 1 since we just clicked. Will have even more photos on the second trip but that is like 2 months from now. 

In essence, any issues I submit now and don't have specific wedding plans or are not engaged yet? Even though I do plan on getting engaged with her.

You have received so much good advice, however, I think far better is to marry her in her country and then apply for a spousal visa, it far cheaper and when she arrives she will have her green card.  If you go the K1 route, you have to pay all the expense for the K1 then once in the US have to pay for AOS.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:25 PM, Mr. Ross said:

A K1 visa is a request to the US government to allow you to bring your fiancée to the USA so you can get married. This starts with an engagement and an engagement ring and then wedding plans which 

A visa package without significant wedding plans, photos of an engagement event etc will probably result in an RFE asking for this evidence. 

Nonsense 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.