Howard L

K1 Interview Concerns: Age Gap, Third World Country

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I am the beneficiary of an ongoing I-129F petition. We are on the waiting phase after receiving our NOA1. The embassy interview will be on Manila and is a dozen months away, but I'm concerned about a few things.

My fiancé and I are both male. I am Filipino and he is American. When the petition was filed, I was 19 (now 20) and my fiancé is 41. I was unemployed (now still looking) and he has a stable job. The interviewer must find at least one of these things as red flags: same sex, age gap, third world country.

My fiancé and I have been together for a year before becoming engaged and our love is genuine. This should be enough to ease my thoughts, but I can't help but worry.

How will the US embassy in Manila see my case? Is my chance of getting a denial high? What precautions should I take? (If anyone has a similar case as mine I'd be grateful to hear your experience.)

30 minutes ago, Howard L said:

Hi,

I am the beneficiary of an ongoing I-129F petition. We are on the waiting phase after receiving our NOA1. The embassy interview will be on Manila and is a dozen months away, but I'm concerned about a few things.

My fiancé and I are both male. I am Filipino and he is American. When the petition was filed, I was 19 (now 20) and my fiancé is 41. I was unemployed (now still looking) and he has a stable job. The interviewer must find at least one of these things as red flags: same sex, age gap, third world country.

My fiancé and I have been together for a year before becoming engaged and our love is genuine. This should be enough to ease my thoughts, but I can't help but worry.

How will the US embassy in Manila see my case? Is my chance of getting a denial high? What precautions should I take? (If anyone has a similar case as mine I'd be grateful to hear your experience.)

You met in person during the two years prior to filing, correct?

I doubt you will have any issues at all, being a same-sex couple.  Gay marriage is (still) legal in all 50 states, and US embassies and consulates adjudicate visa applications using US laws, not local laws.

The age difference is not generally an issue for Philippines. I can't think of any specific VJ posts or members in your exact situation, but maybe others here can.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen many similar cases, quite normal and none has had an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Howard L said:

The interviewer must find at least one of these things as red flags: same sex, age gap, third world country.

You will be interviewed by an American officer in Manila embassy, so same sex, your age gap, you being unemployed in a "third world country" is not a red flag as long as 1) you've actually been spending some time together in real life, not just online dating (proof of him travelling to you and photos of you together, for example), 2) you keep in touch on daily basis (e.g., print outs of texts/phone calls/emails between each other on regular basis [no need to show them the content of those messages, just a print out of his and your incoming/outcoming phone numbers]), 3) whatever other means of correspondence you may have (e.g., post cards etc.) 4) Proof of his income from the petitioner (your fiance) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

One thing that is definitely a positive is more face time together.  As you mentioned, the interview is months away, so it doesn't hurt to get together in person as many times as practical before that.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This is not an original comment of mine, Manilla hand out K1's like candy.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am 70 years old US citizen and my husband is 30 years old from Indonesia. same sex couple.  Our K1 was approved without issue, ( I did visit him 8 times in 4 years, so the in person meeting was most certainly not an issue.)  At the time of the interview he was unemployed over 3 years.  In any case if you are able to prove you are in love, you will be just fine.  Good luck. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.