stunna2018

Consular processing question

11 posts in this topic

My mothers consular processing is about to come through. She doesn’t really plan to reside full time in the US. She’s probably going to travel back and forth. How long does she have to stay in the US on her initial entry with consular processing?

1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If she is not planning on residing full time, why then going through the whole permanent residence process?

The rest of our family lives here in the US. My mother is getting up in age. She’s probably just going to spend most of her time back home but obviously her family is here and also healthcare here is better. 

Would you be able to answer my question as to how long she needs to stay here when she comes the first time?

Edited by stunna2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

profile says you are just a LPR and no timeline to say if u r only that or have become a USC

so, as LPR, u can not apply for her to live here

so,  is  this a B1/B2 tourist  visa?

or did someone else apply  for her green card?

there are several different senerios but coming and going will be highly suspicious by CBP

Ideally she should not stay out over 180 days

as an LPR with green card ,she has  to file US tax returns

Can you stay outside of the US for 6 months?

If you plan to stay outside of the United States for more than one year but less than two years, you will need a re-entry permit for readmission. You must be physically present in the United States when you file the Form I-131 to apply for the permit.

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

profile says you are just a LPR and no timeline to say if u r only that or have become a USC

so, as LPR, u can not apply for her to live here

so,  is  this a B1/B2 tourist  visa?

or did someone else apply  for her green card?

there are several different senerios but coming and going will be highly suspicious by CBP

Ideally she should not stay out over 180 days

as an LPR with green card ,she has  to file US tax returns

Can you stay outside of the US for 6 months?

If you plan to stay outside of the United States for more than one year but less than two years, you will need a re-entry permit for readmission. You must be physically present in the United States when you file the Form I-131 to apply for the permit.

Wow you went into things I didn’t even ask. I didn’t file for my mother. My brother that’s a citizen did.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, stunna2018 said:

Wow you went into things I didn’t even ask. I didn’t file for my mother. My brother that’s a citizen did.  

Because u did not post what visa she was going for and as an LPR,  you couldn't apply 

so,  this might have been tourist visa which is usually 10 year but time in and out of USA is also important for a tourist

and to get the right answers ,  its important 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 hours ago, stunna2018 said:

She doesn’t really plan to reside full time in the US. She’s probably going to travel back and forth. How long does she have to stay in the US on her initial entry with consular processing?

Assuming that she gets an immigrant visa after the interview abroad, she can enter the US and leave immediately with the passport stamped, to validate the visa and her status as an LPR.  The likely problem that she will face in the future is if she stays outside of the US too long, she could lose her LPR status.  She might be able to travel back and forth for a while, but at some point, a CBP officer may question her on one of her trips to the US.  If she is staying outside of the US longer than she stays in, she could receive a notice to appear in immigration court, where a judge could revoke her LPR status and deport her, making it very difficult for her to return, even on a tourist visa.  You should also become familiar with a reentry permit, and its application form, an I-131.

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
22 hours ago, stunna2018 said:

She’s probably just going to spend most of her time back home

That will be a mistake.  I would convince her to change those plans.  A Green Card is not a glorified visitor visa.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Assuming that she comes with the green card, she has to spend more time in the US than in her country, and let say in about 5 years or so, she can apply for us citizenship, once she's a citizen she can comes and go, and stay in either place for as long as she wants.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
23 hours ago, stunna2018 said:

My mothers consular processing is about to come through. She doesn’t really plan to reside full time in the US. She’s probably going to travel back and forth. How long does she have to stay in the US on her initial entry with consular processing?

There's no set time one has to stay when they first immigrate. Many people have to leave immediately for job obligations to fulfill and finish moving and packing in their country. She can turn around and leave on the next plane. Just as long as she stays in the US more than out her green card won't be in question.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.