48 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Chancy said:
17 minutes ago, Timona said:

she's out, he's in US. So, how was she eligible? 

Where the daughter or her parent currently reside is irrelevant for N-600.  What matters is the documentation that the parent qualified to transmit citizenship at the time of the daughter's birth.  USCIS already determined that the documentation they submitted is enough to prove that the parent was indeed qualified, hence the daughter is a US citizen from birth.

Like @Timona I cannot see the whole picture ..but I believe in miracles.,will take an Approval  and run with it…cause often it’s a matter of miscommunication 

In this instance , OP said the US mother always lived in the US and daughter always lived in home country..?? 

3 minutes ago, Timona said:

how's she gonna get inside US to go for that oath ceremony?

By getting a US passport, as has been repeatedly suggested already.  If she had enough supporting evidence to be approved for N-600, then she definitely has enough to get a passport.

5 minutes ago, Family said:

OP said the US mother always lived in the US and daughter always lived in home country..??

I'm fairly certain that was an exaggeration.  Maybe the mother gave birth while on a visit abroad?  I doubt the mother could have given birth while being in a different country from the baby?  Unless this is another case of birth through surrogacy, like in that other thread 😆

As for passing citizenship to a child, only the parent's whereabouts prior to the birth matters.  Even if the parent leaves the child right after the birth, it doesn't affect their ability to transmit citizenship to the child at birth.

If emergency passport falls through in time for oath, consulate has to give her a B1/B2 to attend …it’s law.  
And there is no way to waive oath of allegiance..nor will consulate administer it.

But I am remain intrigued if  proving custody  is an issue at all under what I assume is INA 320 ( she turned 18 after 2000) ..

Am giving myself a headache..😀

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

OP, kindly update us whatever happens. 

I'm always ready and willing to learn. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Just now, Family said:

But I am remain intrigued if  proving custody  is an issue at all under what I assume is INA 320 ( she turned 18 after 2000) ..

This could not have been a case of acquiring citizenship AFTER birth via INA 320.  This could only be a case of transmitting US citizenship AT birth, otherwise the N-600 would have been denied for someone who has never lived in the US.  For transmitting citizenship AT birth, parental custody is not directly relevant.  The relevant point is whether the child was born in or out of wedlock.  That point would determine how much US physical presence is required for the USC parent to qualify.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Correct procedure would have been to apply for a U.S. passport at the U.S. embassy. IMO the embassy would have given the applicant the run around. I am not surprised the N-600 route was tried.

Once N-600 is denied, one cannot apply for it again so I would do everything humanly possible to make that appointment. 

*  Definitely try an emergency passport appoint with embassy.

* Canada, Mexico, and U.S. require visas for citizens of Antigua and Barbuda. I would apply for tourist visas at all 3.

If U.S. does not approve a tourist visa in time, maybe Canada or Mexico will. If so, show up at land border with all the USCIS N-600 notices in hand, and after long secondary be admitted to the U.S.

* While waiting for a visa or passport appointment, since no visa needed for  Bahamas, and I believe Turks and Caicos, Aruba, and Bermuda, and so each of those has U.S. CBP pre-clearance ports of entry, I would fly to one or more of each, and try to board a flight to U.S., again showing all USCIS notices to CBP at those countries. The challenge is getting the airline to issue a boarding pass.

* The closest living relatives in the U.S. needs to get their U.S. senators to help.

If you cannot make the N-600 appointment reschedule. 

Edited by Mike E

Thank you @Chancy…it’s 309 C …brain fog cleared. Out of wedlock mother just needed to prove 1 year and zero custody issues. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html

A person born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother between December 24, 1952 and June 11, 2017 may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 309(c) of the INA if the mother was a U.S. citizen at the time of the person’s birth and if the mother was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year prior to the person’s birth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Wait wait. So OP's cousin was born out of wedlock? How'd we reach here? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

13 hours ago, Chancy said:

*** Moved from Bringing Family of USC forum to Passports, etc sub-forum, where topics about N-600 are discussed ***

For N-600 applicants who acquired citizenship after birth (via INA 320), USCIS may require oath-taking for those who are over 14 years old.  Not sure if there is an oath-taking requirement for those who applied based on acquiring US citizenship at birth.  It's likely that the certificate of citizenship will just be mailed to your cousin's daughter.  In any case, I agree with the suggestions above for her to immediately apply for a US passport.

This is what I thought

AOS Approved in 308 days

Spoiler

Adjusted from Visa B1/B2 via Marriage to USC 

Sent Package July 26th 2016

EAD approved in (87 days)

Received EAD Combo Card (101 days)

Interview May 30th 2017 (308 days) 

Case Approved May 30th 2017 (308 days)

Greencard received June 7th 2017 (316 days)

ROC Approved in 955 Days (time affected by covid office closures)

Spoiler

Sent Package - 5/11/2019 - (0 days)

NOA Date - 5/14/2019  - (3 days) Conditional Greencard with ext expiration date 11/30/2020

Biometrics - 6/18/2019 - (38 days)

Transfer to NBC - 4/20/20 - (345 days)

Transfer back to Vermont Center - 4/21/20 (Never received that letter but USCIS agents over the phone advises this and have no explanation as to why it was transferred nor transferred back) - (346 days)

InfoPass - 11/20/20 (to get 1 year temp I-551 Stamp in Valid Passport) - (556 days)

Case Ready to be scheduled for interview - 1/4/2021 (601 days)

Interview Scheduled on 9/22/2021 for 10/20/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 9/23/21

Interview Scheduled on 9/26/2021 for 10/28/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 10/4/2021

Called to get info pass to get second i-551 stamp before it expires in November, They will call back within 2 weeks to schedule infopass - 10/6/21

Infopass scheduled for 10/26/21 and told 10/28/2021 Interview still on. Went to Interview. Told need to call USCIS for another infopass appointment. Emergency Infopass scheduled for 11/2/2021.

Infopass - I-551 Stamp - 11/2/2021

Case Approved January 28 2022 (955 days)

N-400 Application

FO: Atlanta, GA

Filed N-400 Online - 3/4/2022

Biometrics Reuse - 3/4/22 (Service Center NBC)

Interview Scheduled - 9/12/22

Interview Date - 10/19/22

Decision: Decision cannot be made at this time

Application Recommended to be approved and submitted for Quality Review - 10/26/22

Oath Ceremony will be scheduled 10/26/2022

OATH CEREMONY MAILED - 10/27/2022

Checked online Oath Ceremony is - 11/18/2022

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 hours ago, Timona said:

Wait wait. So OP's cousin was born out of wedlock? How'd we reach here? 

The OP's cousin's daughter.

It is an assumption based on OP stating that the cousin always lived in US and the daughter always lived in her country.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 4/20/2023 at 11:15 AM, Chancy said:

]

BUT, if your cousin's daughter had asked here before going through the process, I would have recommended applying for US passport first BEFORE applying for N-600.  N-600 before passport was a risky approach.  Glad she was approved.  Unlike passport application, N-600 is a one-time deal.  If she had failed her N-600 attempt due to some missing document or some trivial reason, N-600 would never be available to her again.

That is extremely misleading. You can apply for the N-600 only once but if it is denied you can file motion to reopen or reconsider on Form I-290B it with new evidence. It is not a one and done thing. You can also file an appeal if within 30 days of denial. 

My wife came to the US on an F1 visa about 10 years ago.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/13/3008 Forms Recieved in Chicago

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

03/21/2008 NOA's received

04/07/2008 Biometrics Appointment in Cincinnati

05/06/2008 I-765 and I-131 Approved

06/06/2008 I-485 Interview in Louisville, KY

06/06/2008 I-485 Approved :)

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Paul Hanaki said:

you can file motion to reopen or reconsider on Form I-290B it with new evidence

On what basis would OP re-open / re-consider the denied N-600?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

On what basis would OP re-open / re-consider the denied N-600?

The OP would not have to do anything as the N600 was not denied. It was approved.

My wife came to the US on an F1 visa about 10 years ago.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/13/3008 Forms Recieved in Chicago

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

03/21/2008 NOA's received

04/07/2008 Biometrics Appointment in Cincinnati

05/06/2008 I-765 and I-131 Approved

06/06/2008 I-485 Interview in Louisville, KY

06/06/2008 I-485 Approved :)

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Paul Hanaki said:

The OP would not have to do anything as the N600 was not denied. It was approved.

There is an interview. When OP misses the interview, what then?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.