Divorced after 10year green card [merged threads]

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone 

i am going to apply for Us citizenship bases on 5year green card. I have few concerns that i want to discuss.

I was married to us citizen after 2and half year i came to usa . And got my 10 year green card. After 1month of getting green card my ex husband filed divorced. I did not want divorce because i was truly in marriage. He has affair in usa while i was in my country. I did not sign the divorce papers. After 6months divorced. 
my question is …

Q. When i will apply for citizenship will the government ask for proof for good faith marrige?? I don’t have anything only pictures i have. I am so worried don’t understand if i should apply for citizenship or not? I dont have money to hire lawer. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

As you are filing under the 5 year rule, you don't need to send evidence of good faith marriage. 

But they will certainly inquire about your whole immigration path during interview. 

I could see them asking about the marriage, it does seem to happen even when applying under the 5 year rule.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 hours ago, 2891 said:

was married to us citizen after 2and half year i came to usa . And got my 10 year green card. After 1month of getting green card my ex husband filed divorced. I did not want divorce because i was truly in marriage. He has affair in usa while i was in my country. I did not sign the divorce papers. After 6months divorced

Is ex husband Indian ?
It’s very odd that he would carry on an affair and bring you to the US ( in his home) only to kick you out in 30 days…file on same day and have divorce finalized in 6 months.

The “ affair “ reason “ doesn’t sound real, since he would have been better off withdrawing from your marriage visa….

Perhaps there are some details you are skipping, that would make your story sound more plausible 

Edited by Family

The timeline of everything looks a little fishy to me. Moving after being married 2,5 years (ensuring to receive a 10 year green card) and then divorcing a month after entering? I agree that your husband could have decided not to move forward with the process if he had somebody else, why go through all the trouble only to file for divorce a month after you moved to the US? Something is not adding up here… 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Daphne . said:

The timeline of everything looks a little fishy to me. Moving after being married 2,5 years (ensuring to receive a 10 year green card) and then divorcing a month after entering? I agree that your husband could have decided not to move forward with the process if he had somebody else, why go through all the trouble only to file for divorce a month after you moved to the US? Something is not adding up here… 

Judging by the use of language I think there may be cultural issues involved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
16 hours ago, 2891 said:

Do they ask questions about previous marriage divorce . I am filing based on 5year rule . Previous divorce. 
what type of questions they ask anybody have any idea??

They can ask about it. E.g. when did you divorce, why did you divorce.

Did you get your GC through marriage?Did you have to through I-751? Were the conditions removed correctly?

• Chancy changed the title to Divorced after 10year green card [merged threads]
15 minutes ago, Chancy said:

*** Merged related threads.  Please post your questions/updates related to this topic in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

That's helpful and answered my questions 🙂

@2891 I think all your questions were already answered in March-April 2023. There's nothing new to add.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.