4 posts in this topic

Hello! These groups have been really helpful throughout our K1 process so I want you thank you all advance! We're almost ready to submit our DS-160 but I have a bunch of questions that came up during the process. Some may be silly but we just want to be diligent. I understand it's a lot but any answers are appreciated!🙂

1.) First off, our NOA2 has just expired about a week ago - we were busy gathering documents and waiting for the NVC welcome packet that never came (which we just realized not everyone gets). Our case is "Ready" according to the NVC site. I reached out to the embassy but haven't heard back - do you know if it'll automatically be reinstated/extended?

2.) I just want to clarify that when the DS-160 asks for Petition number, it's the USCIS receipt number starting with WAC and NOT the NVC case number starting with LDN.

3.) When they ask if I used any other email addresses in the last 5 years, should I include my work one or no?

4.) The question regarding any other relatives (aside from immediate family) in the US - should I answer yes if they're my 2nd cousins?

5.) Employment information - I put my current job but I've been there for over 5 years (12 years in total) so when they asked for previous employment over the last 5 years, I filled out my current job information however they would like an end date - there is not "current" or "until present" option to choose.  Does anyone know if there's a workaround for this? Should I just put the employment I was in before my current employer, i.e in 2011?

6) They worded the next questions in a way that tripped us up a bit - they said if we answer yes to any of the following questions we may risk additional screening but the last question was "do you have documentation that proves your vaccinations in accordance with the US law?" to which I've said YES. Just want to make sure this is okay and that I haven't misunderstood the question?

7) Am I supposed to register with a courier service on a separate website when I book my appointment? I read this somewhere a while back but haven't come across anything recently. Or will I just be redirected to the payment page once I click submit on my DS160 and book my appointment?

8.) Also on that note, for payment of the actual application fees, I'm assuming (as above) we pay once we submit the form/schedule the interview, is that correct? Or should I be paying the application fees elsewhere separately? And are there any other fees I need to be aware of (aside from the medical costs)?

10.) My last dose of the Hep B shot will be April 6th. If I show proof of that at the medical, would I still be able to go ahead with the medical before I receive that last dose?

9) for documents required for the medical: If I never had TB, do I still need to provide documentation saying I haven't?

10) How can I leave the country before my permanent residency is granted? My brother is due to get married in Egypt towards the end of this year and I'm already super worried and stressing about missing it as he's my best friend. Has anyone left the country after getting married but while still waiting for adjustment of status, and if so, would you mind sharing your experience? For example, is there a form I have to submit every time I want to leave? How long is it valid for? How likely is it to get approved? Etc.

Thanks again so much and sorry about the length of this! Good luck everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First u will not get any welcome document -just your new case # and the case can go no further till u do the ds 160

1.  no documents for K1 to NVC

2.   u now use the embassy case # not the WAC/  LDN #  is the u need to use

3.  all email ID"S used

10.  u can't and this is a big problem with K1

i will let others answers the remaining questions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. Possibly. After filing ds-160,  I would write to embassy and request an extension. 
4. Yes

5. Put today’s date there. 
6. Answer truthfully 

7. varies by embassy 

8. varies by embassy

10. when you file I-485, you will also file I-131. It is unlikely I-131 will be approved in time. 

Interpret questions literally. They are simple but it seems like you’re overthinking.

48 minutes ago, Cole91 said:

do you know if it'll automatically be reinstated/extended?

Most likely, yes.

it's the USCIS receipt number starting with WAC a

Yes. That’s what I put and it was fine.

When they ask if I used any other email addresses in the last 5 years, should I include my work one or no?

They’re asking for ALL email addresses. If they didn’t want work emails, they would say so but they don’t, they’re saying any other email addresses

The question regarding any other relatives (aside from immediate family) in the US - should I answer yes if they're my 2nd cousins?

Again, they’re saying ANY OTHER so yes

Employment information - I put my current job but I've been there for over 5 years (12 years in total) so when they asked for previous employment over the last 5 years, I filled out my current job information h

If you’ve been there for 12 years, do not put your current job in the past job section, put it only in current section. They know you’ve been there for 12 years so past jobs won’t apply to you as it only goes back 5 years.

for documents required for the medical: If I never had TB, do I still need to provide documentation saying I haven't?

No

How can I leave the country before my permanent residency is granted? My brother is due to get married in Egypt towards the end of this year and I'm already super worried and stressing about missing it as he's my best friend. Has anyone left the country after getting married but while still waiting for adjustment of status, and if so, would you mind sharing your experience? For example, is there a form I have to submit every time I want to leave? How long is it valid for? How likely is it to get approved? Etc.

K1 fiancé was not a right choice if traveling was important and I’m saying this as a past K1 applicant. When you apply for AOS, you should file I-131 advance parole but the processing time is about a year long. Weddings of family members won’t qualify as reason for an expedite. 

Edited by powerpuff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.