Talo

Misc N400 questions

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm waiting for my naturalization interview next week (very excited and nervous!). I was just reviewing my N400 application an have two questions. I am worried that I may incorrectly answered these:

- There are three questions regarding being removed, excluded, or deported from the US, which I answered as "no". However, I do have a denied tourist visa. Would this count as removed, excluded or deported?

- My wife and I got married in 2015 in Argentina. This is the marriage that I listed when I applied for my green card and that I listed in the N400. However, in 2020 we also got married in the US. For question "How many times have you been married (including annulled marriages, marriages to other people, and marriages to the same person). I only said 1 marriage, since we didn't divorce or got or anything between the two. Should I say 2 here?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Talo said:

Thank you both! It sounds like I answered both correctly then :)

Unless you provided USCIS with invalid marriage certificate from the US or used that date in any paperwork for them, you should be totally fine.

When you were applying for marriage license in the US, why did you put "single" in your marital status when you were married?

Good luck with the interview and make sure to be truthful in any other paperwork moving forward to avoid any issues in life an with law.

Edited by OldUser

18 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Unless you provided USCIS with invalid marriage certificate from the US or used that date in any paperwork for them, you should be totally fine.

When you were applying for marriage license in the US, why did you put "single" in your marital status when you were married?

Good luck with the interview and make sure to be truthful in any other paperwork moving forward to avoid any issues in life an with law.

I don't think I put single when I married in the US. I actually remember telling the official that married us that we were already married in Argentina. My wife had changed her last name in all her documents (passport, credit cards, etc) but the DMV didn't want to accept our Argentina marriage to change her driver's license.

1 minute ago, Talo said:

I don't think I put single when I married in the US. I actually remember telling the official that married us that we were already married in Argentina. My wife had changed her last name in all her documents (passport, credit cards, etc) but the DMV didn't want to accept our Argentina marriage to change her driver's license.

If you were married already, you were not free to marry in the US.

You had to answer:

- Single, never married

- Divorced

- Widowed

If you answered married they could not marry you. Either way, what's done is done. Hopefully it won't cause any trouble to you or your family.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 hours ago, Talo said:

actually remember telling the official that married us that we were already married in Argentina.

In what  state of the USA did this happen?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, Mike E said:

In what  state of the USA did this happen?

Interesting. 

https://clerkandrecorder.elpasoco.com/recording/marriage-licenses/#1512406962302-f6ef52a7-3976

“A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other”

I knew NY state allowed this. I did not know some states allowed it. 

So you haven’t broken any laws. Basically you obtained a second lawful change of name document. 

Thank you all for helping! We were truthful when getting married here and told the officer exactly what happened, and we were also following the DMVs suggestions, but It's great to know about all of these nuances in case it comes up at the interview. This is very helpful!

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

Interesting. 

https://clerkandrecorder.elpasoco.com/recording/marriage-licenses/#1512406962302-f6ef52a7-3976

“A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other”

So you haven’t broken any laws. Basically you obtained a second lawful change of name document. 

How strange. Today I learned. 

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

NJ also has remarriage registration -- https://www.nj.gov/health/vital/registration-vital/marriage-licenses/#6

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.