VisaJohnDoe187

Why Is there a large time difference in the approval of the K1 visa compared to the IR-1/CR-1 visa with respect to Pakistan?

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

Isn't the problem at Islamabad related to a backlog, so I was curious why is it that K1 Visas seem to come by much quicker compared to IR-1/CR-1 visas (from looking at the stats)?
If anyone could enlighten me it would be much appreciated. Also, does being an American by birth seem to speed up the process?
Thank you!

Edited by VisaJohnDoe187

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Hi, where do you get this stats from?

Hello,

https://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Pakistan

take a look at recent visa approvals, but you can also use the immigration timelines on the upper tab and then filter by K1 and IR-1/CR-1.

For example Tariq & Farzeen is about 2.5 years while the other are about 1.5 years on average.

3 minutes ago, VisaJohnDoe187 said:

Hello,

https://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Pakistan

take a look at recent visa approvals, but you can also use the immigration timelines on the upper tab and then filter by K1 and IR-1/CR-1.

For example Tariq & Farzeen is about 2.5 years while the other are about 1.5 years on average.

Did others file around the same time as Tariq & Farzeen?

There's a lot of moving parts plus the forum only provides little sample of all cases. I wouldn't draw conclusions just based on this data.

Edited by OldUser

~~ Topic moved from CR1/IR1 Process to K1 Progress Reports as the question is more about K1 processing timelines ~~

You’re not taking into consideration that those K1s have had their I-129f petitions filed in 2021 when processing times were much shorter (6-9 months) compared to 15 months right now. You’re not seeing the effects of that yet because they’re still processing. Currently the whole process for K1s will be 2 years at minimum. 

30 minutes ago, VisaJohnDoe187 said:

Also, does being an American by birth seem to speed up the process?

No.

Edited by powerpuff

2 hours ago, VisaJohnDoe187 said:

Hello,

Isn't the problem at Islamabad related to a backlog, so I was curious why is it that K1 Visas seem to come by much quicker compared to IR-1/CR-1 visas (from looking at the stats)?
If anyone could enlighten me it would be much appreciated. Also, does being an American by birth seem to speed up the process?
Thank you!

I'd say the opposite is true.  Pakistan is high-fraud, high-risk, so a spousal visa is always going to be a better choice.

Pakistan is fraught with issues when it comes to background checks/AP, and universally has longer than average wait times for US visas as a result.

19 hours ago, VisaJohnDoe187 said:

Hello,

Thank you!

You need to look at the BIG picture:
CR1/IR1 cases out of Islamabad are people who filed when they were already USCs AND people who filed when they were Green Card holders but have since naturalized. There is a big backlog for both and the backlog is compounded when GC holders become USCs and have a PD that supersedes people who filed as USCs. 
Only USCs can submit a K1 petition which means smaller number of applicants. 
This doesn’t mean K1 is the better choice for Pakistan… some K1 cases are denied and the couple then has to get married adding to the number of CR1/IR1 applicants. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I applied for k1 visa for my then fiance and now wife, her process took almost 1 year to complete from filing to arrival in the US, it was filed in the middle of covid epidemic in January 2021. 

I consider myself extremely lucky as around that time the process for k1 was shortened, it was a big risk for me and it worked out. People who filed in 2021 for K1 visa will show a shorter timeline. It is now getting back to pre covid levels of 15-18 months. Don't forget that after the fiance arrives to US it will be another 8-12 months before he/she receives the EAD/AP. GC is another story.

Thankfully we were never under significant strain for EAD and her AP also got approved within the right time frame and she was able to travel and meet her family.

After all of my positive stories about K1, I  believe 110% that spousal visa is a far superior visa. All in all by the time you get the benefits of GC it will be almost the same timeframe. 

• Jan 26, 2021 = NOA 1 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Sep 8, 2021 = NOA 2 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Nov 16, 2021 =  K1 visa issued in Islamabad, Pakistan
  • Jan 20, 2022 = POE Dallas, Texas
  • Feb 14, 2022 = AOS (I-451, I-131, I765) Filed
  • Feb 20, 2022 = Receipt notice for all three received
  • March 21, 2022 = Biometrics in Dallas, Texas
  • August 9, 2022 = EAD (I-751 approved)
  • August 13, 2022 = EAD and SSN received (SSN applied with EAD)
  • September 6, 2022 = AP (I-131 approved)
  • September 13, 2022 = AP (I-131 receieved) 
  • March 15, 2023 = I-485 approved (interview waived, New SSN received without DHS wording)
  • March 31, 2023 = GC in hand (Total time from NOA-1 to GC in hand 794 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.