23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a question and I appreciate anyone who could give me enlightenment and resolution to my problem. 

I have just applied for my N400. Without further consideration, I answered NO under question 23. 

Back story: I was cited for a civil traffic due to speeding. The officer suggested that I go to a traffic school to remove the ticket in my records. So I did. I submitted the ticket and payment to the traffic school and so I have not one single proof with me. 

I am very concerned because I just had my biometrics last week. I am very anxious that it will be the reason for my application to get denied. Please enlighten me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Most are not convinced that an ordinary speeding ticket should be on the N-400 and the jury is still out if it belongs in there.

I had a ticket from 2003 and had no documentation and I put in that info. You have the documentation and you did not. I have read a ton and most times the IO officer asks and you can just say I had a ticket and is taken care off and you hand him over the documentation if he asks.

Most say speeding tickets over 500$ or reckless driving might be questioned. IT IS BEST TO BE UPFRONT WITH THE OFFICER AND TELL HIM ABOUT THE TICEKT, proves moral character.

1 minute ago, ImmigrantKrish said:

Most are not convinced that an ordinary speeding ticket should be on the N-400 and the jury is still out if it belongs in there.

I had a ticket from 2003 and had no documentation and I put in that info. You have the documentation and you did not. I have read a ton and most times the IO officer asks and you can just say I had a ticket and is taken care off and you hand him over the documentation if he asks.

Most say speeding tickets over 500$ or reckless driving might be questioned. IT IS BEST TO BE UPFRONT WITH THE OFFICER AND TELL HIM ABOUT THE TICEKT, proves moral character.

In that case my only resolution is to tell the officer during the interview of my speeding ticket since I have no documentation to show as proof. Thanks for your reply. 

1 minute ago, Mrs Stefano said:

In that case my only resolution is to tell the officer during the interview of my speeding ticket since I have no documentation to show as proof. Thanks for your reply. 

You need documentation. Do everything possible and impossible to get the proof. IO may ask for it if you mention ticket.

Timeline
Just now, Mrs Stefano said:

sorry I misread your post and thought you had documentation.

When was this ticket from? Most states let you pull the MVR record (motor vehicle record) and if the ticket is recent you shoudl see it in there. If the ticket is from out of state, contact that state DMV to get the details. if its the state you are living in, then the mvr should have it.

I live in AZ and they only go past 10 years My ticket was from CA and it was from almost 19 yrs ago..so I had no documentation, not even a credit card statement or bank statement or anything at all. Hopefully you can dig anything from DMV or your personal bank statements. Not the end of the world if you dont have it.

9 minutes ago, ImmigrantKrish said:

sorry I misread your post and thought you had documentation.

When was this ticket from? Most states let you pull the MVR record (motor vehicle record) and if the ticket is recent you shoudl see it in there. If the ticket is from out of state, contact that state DMV to get the details. if its the state you are living in, then the mvr should have it.

I live in AZ and they only go past 10 years My ticket was from CA and it was from almost 19 yrs ago..so I had no documentation, not even a credit card statement or bank statement or anything at all. Hopefully you can dig anything from DMV or your personal bank statements. Not the end of the world if you dont have it.

I live in AZ. I submitted my traffic ticket together with my form of payment to the traffic school. I had the ticket in August 2022 and took defensive driving class the same month. Both the traffic school instructor and the police officer that gave me a ticket said ticket will be removed in my records. 

I am searching for which traffic school I went in for my class so I could email them. I don’t even know where to start. I am so stressed out. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mrs Stefano said:

I live in AZ. I submitted my traffic ticket together with my form of payment to the traffic school. I had the ticket in August 2022 and took defensive driving class the same month. Both the traffic school instructor and the police officer that gave me a ticket said ticket will be removed in my records. 

I am searching for which traffic school I went in for my class so I could email them. I don’t even know where to start. I am so stressed out. 

Dont worry, your ticket is so new you can find the info easily.

Try https://azmvdnow.gov/home first and see if they have any notation on the ticket.

Next, go to your bank statements or credit card statements and pull out your info.

If you remember which school you went to, go to the place and ask them for a receipt or a record. if its online, then you will have some info on the emails....

Edit: You say you paid, probably with a check, in that case check your bank statements.

Edited by ImmigrantKrish

4 minutes ago, ImmigrantKrish said:

Dont worry, your ticket is so new you can find the info easily.

Try https://azmvdnow.gov/home first and see if they have any notation on the ticket.

Next, go to your bank statements or credit card statements and pull out your info.

If you remember which school you went to, go to the place and ask them for a receipt or a record. if its online, then you will have some info on the emails....

Edit: You say you paid, probably with a check, in that case check your bank statements.

Thank you for your response. First, have to find which traffic school I went to for my class. I will also look at the link you sent me. As with the payment, it was money order. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mrs Stefano said:

How many years ago was this?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

OP stated the ticket was from last year. Since OP is from AZ, I gave options on how to locate it as AZ only keeps records for the past 10 years.

Timeline
Just now, RickyMIndia said:

It may be a good idea to get a certified disposition letter from the municipal court where the ticket was paid/disposed of.  

OP has hard time finding the ticket or the payment info and went to traffic school to get the ticket nullified. 

Hopefully OP can get some details and start visiting offices to get the information. 

Please stop ticket/traffic school and or DMV and bank account payment chasing ..and the unnecessary stress.

If you want to be 100% percent armed with records that are relevant to the N-400 then do this :

1. Get an FBI fingerprint done ( easily available and less than $50) It will show “no record” 

2. Call up the court clerk and they will walk you through doing a record search ( form to file from the comfort of your home )..That will be considered the Custodian of Record Letter and will likely say No Record or Record destroyed cause it’s too old .lNo matter what it says..it’s sufficient and NOTHING more needed. 

3. Do Nothing cause USCIS will have already had a look at your FBI / criminal background and they know you are squeaky clean and it won’t be an issue at interview. Worse case scenario..IF they do want any records..you would still do step 1 and 2 for an RFE but would  NOT be denied.

Edited by Family

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

It all happened in August of 2022. Went to Traffic School the same month as suggested by the police officer who pulled me over. 

I didn’t know I had to put YES for the question number 23 on the N400 form since both traffic school instructor and police officer said it will be removed in my record so I put NO as answer. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Mrs Stefano said:

It all happened in August of 2022. Went to Traffic School the same month as suggested by the police officer who pulled me over. 

I didn’t know I had to put YES for the question number 23 on the N400 form since both traffic school instructor and police officer said it will be removed in my record so I put NO as answer. 

The federal government likely can still see the record.  

Since it  happened last year  you should try to  get  the information from your state’s judicial system and/or department of motor vehicles. 

For an ancient traffic ticket I would not (and did not) note it on my N-400 or at my interview. 

But you’ve no reason to not attempt to get all the information for something this recent before your interview and disclose at your interview.  If you filed online add the information to your case and add a signed statement stating you wish to amend your answer to question 23 

Then repeat exercise at the interview. 

If neither the motor vehicles Department nor the court system has a record, get it in writing and attach that.  Since you went to traffic school (which  prevents your insurer from seeing it) there might be no record (that is accessible by you) now.  

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.