ImNotGoodatMath

RFE on second filing of I-485

9 posts in this topic

apparently I don't make enough money as a disabled veteran to meet the 125% above poverty guidelines OR the evaluating officer just wants a peek-see at bank account for the last year. Either way this is complete rubbish in my opinion.
I included the IRS publication outlining why I don't need to pay taxes on my VA compensation, a letter from the VA stating my monthly income(over the poverty guidelines for the year), the last 3 years of tax returns as they ask for on the form, a copy of my passport bio page, my birth certificate and a copy of my Social Security Card.

Everything I read in the RFE was centered around the I-864 and their opinion that I dont make enough money for the liking or something like that.  Even though I do.  This was the last thing I wanted to see after being denied our previous green card application after waiting 1 year.  Congrats to everyone that has such an easy time submitting the paper work  i'm thinking of just leaving the country with my wife and abandoning this money grabbing exploitative bureaucratic process 

Did you write a signed formal statement as to why you don't have to FILE taxes because you don't meet the minimum earning threshold to file as outlined in the instructions when you submitted initially??

Thank you for your service. Sorry to hear you're going through this. I think the easiest and most reliable way of solving it is to get a qualifying co-sponsor. You'll be the main sponsor still. Otherwise you may lose a lot of time trying to convince USCIS your income is sufficient for sponsoring.

1 hour ago, ImNotGoodatMath said:

apparently I don't make enough money as a disabled veteran to meet the 125% above poverty guidelines OR the evaluating officer just wants a peek-see at bank account for the last year. Either way this is complete rubbish in my opinion.
I included the IRS publication outlining why I don't need to pay taxes on my VA compensation, a letter from the VA stating my monthly income(over the poverty guidelines for the year), the last 3 years of tax returns as they ask for on the form, a copy of my passport bio page, my birth certificate and a copy of my Social Security Card.

Everything I read in the RFE was centered around the I-864 and their opinion that I dont make enough money for the liking or something like that.  Even though I do.  This was the last thing I wanted to see after being denied our previous green card application after waiting 1 year.  Congrats to everyone that has such an easy time submitting the paper work  i'm thinking of just leaving the country with my wife and abandoning this money grabbing exploitative bureaucratic process 

You can respond to the RFE by stating: 

1. the annual  $$ is Tax Exempt and shows up on line xx of 1040 Tax Return

2. include  at least 3 months bank statements to show monthly direct deposit 

3. MUST include a copy of the VA Disability Award/ Determination that shows it is a LIFETIME benefit

‘**and spell out these three points in your response letter to RFE’*****

On 12/30/2022 at 9:44 AM, Mike E said:

Have you ever wondered  where they are

Permission to misquote @Boiler , but it’s always an issue of presentation

. And in OPs case as in any disability income , proving the source is permanent/lifetime and showing the actual bank statement for the direct deposit evidence was/is OPs burden of proof. ..not USCIS failure.

I appreciate @Mike E ‘s most encouraging words and hopefully OP doesn’t give up.

Edited by TBoneTX
edited to remove derailing text

***Thread locked for review 

VJ Moderation 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

*** A reminder that foul language and bickering is not allowed on the forum.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Multiple derailing posts have been removed.

Experienced members here are firmly warned to stick to the OP's issue.

The OP is asked to report any off-topic or provoking posts, rather than responding in-thread.

Thread is reopened.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.