SN@5127

i-130 filed for Bringing Canadian born child to US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone/My experts team,

I have a question from my VisaJourney trusty colleagues: 

Statement of Facts before the question: I have applied (Form i-130) in 2017 - Specific receipt date is Sept 11, 2017 - If I look the website the specific USCIS center (Vermont - where the file is located) timeline on website for this USCIS center says  ESTIMATED 55.5 months. I understand that this "estimate" is barely a guideline and probably a "gestimation". Currently actual month consumed from receipt date are <<61 months>> and counting. 

Question: In your opinion, Would it be advise able to write letter to USCIS Vermont Center & Politely - Very Humbly ask them, what is a correct status of my application (Form i-130) or will this be 'wasted effort'. and or annoy them (USCIS). 

Thanks in Advance

-s  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What is the Priority Date looking like?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ok so assuming you are in the correct forum and your petition is F2B, yes it is a total waste of time asking the service center what your “status of application” is because it’s not relevant.  What is relevant is that your petition has a priority date of 9/11/2017, and the current priority date (petition filing date for which visas are now available) for F2B is 9/22/2015. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2023/visa-bulletin-for-november-2022.html Until that date reaches your priority  date, your kid can’t get a visa and it makes no difference whether the service center has approved it or not. They will probably have it approved shortly before the ready for filing date is current, which will probably be about a year before the PD is current. But even then all you can do is submit papers, pay fees and wait some more until the PD is current and they can schedule an interview.  Hopefully the backlogs at Montreal will be better by then.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, SN@5127 said:

: I have applied (Form i-130) in 2017 -

Are you a U.S. citizen?

How old was your child in when you filed I-130?

Timeline

The web site used to show the priority date & number of months now they changed to just this.

image.thumb.png.1dcbd214f8ac4bf1cf37310a98a0a053.pngI know it says "80% of cases.." but I hope my Petition is not in the rest of 20% - One more thing I forgot mention that my case was in "laguna niguel ca" they transferred the file to Vermont on May 27, 2020 does that should not change the Receipt date which is Sept 11, 2017. I hope this will clarify some of it for readers to respond/help.

thx 

Timeline

Are you a U.S. citizen? no I have a green card & I am sure that I am looking/searching in the right category  

How old was your child in when you filed I-130? The kids is over 21 unmarried - Here also I am sure I am looking in the right category - see below.

image.png.ec9e1cc4cd78210ff6e2e01dd0e82f8f.png

13 minutes ago, SN@5127 said:

The web site used to show the priority date & number of months now they changed to just this.

image.thumb.png.1dcbd214f8ac4bf1cf37310a98a0a053.pngI know it says "80% of cases.." but I hope my Petition is not in the rest of 20% - One more thing I forgot mention that my case was in "laguna niguel ca" they transferred the file to Vermont on May 27, 2020 does that should not change the Receipt date which is Sept 11, 2017. I hope this will clarify some of it for readers to respond/help.

thx 

This is totally irrelevant to when your kid can get a visa. As already mentioned. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SN@5127 said:

Are you a U.S. citizen? no I have a green card & I am sure that I am looking/searching in the right category  

How old was your child in when you filed I-130? The kids is over 21 unmarried - Here also I am sure I am looking in the right category - see below.

image.png.ec9e1cc4cd78210ff6e2e01dd0e82f8f.png

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2023/visa-bulletin-for-november-2022.html

For all countries of origin except Mexico and Philippines, the current filing date is   22SEP15 (As in 2015).  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-november-2021.html

A year ago F2B was also 22SEP15

2 years ago,

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2021/visa-bulletin-for-november-2020.html

F2B was 08JUL15

2.5 months movement in 2 years (or 24 months). The rate of movement is thus:

2.5/24 = 0.104 months per month 

Your filing date is Sept 11, 2017, which is about 24 months after 22SEP15.  So:

24 /0.104 = 231 months or 19 years.  

Some caveats before you get too discouraged:

* for some categories the  dates didn’t move move in the past 2-3 years because of Covid. 

* the arrival rate to the queue can vary, so for all we know there is a big bottleneck from September 2015, and then once that is through things will speed up

If USCIS is saying 5 years, that’s great news if is true.  But realistically I don’t believe it. I think the  number is going to be between 5 and 19 years.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.