Dee76

Can I bring my US citizen husband to my naturalization interview ( should time come)?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dee76 said:

Will my US Citizen husband be allowed to accompany me during my naturalization interview? 

Maybe, if your N400 application is under 3 year rule, I would bring a spouse just in case the officer wants to speak to them. 

Did you have a 2 year conditional green card? If so, did you file i751 to remove the conditions on your LPR? If you did not file i751 with a conditional green card then n400 can not be approved.

If you have a pending i751 awaiting approval then yes you must bring your spouse for a combo i751/n400 interview which is likely to happen. 100% bring your spouse with an i751 ROC pending. (This happen in our n400/i741 case and the US citizen spouse was allowed to present throughout both interviews and test which is uncommon)

If you are applying for a n400 case using the 5 year rule and you have a 10 year green card then your spouse will not be admitted to the interview and you don't need to bring them.

Edited by da95826

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I had the N400 interview recently in September. my wife was not allowed in for the interview or the oath ceremony and she had to wait outside at starbucks for a few hours with the kids. Tbh i was a little b*** hurt for a couple of days because they did not allow them even in the waiting room. unless your interview letter says bring your spouse, i would save the hurt if i were you :D.

5 hours ago, Bajinga said:

I had the N400 interview recently in September. my wife was not allowed in for the interview or the oath ceremony and she had to wait outside at starbucks for a few hours with the kids. Tbh i was a little b*** hurt for a couple of days because they did not allow them even in the waiting room. unless your interview letter says bring your spouse, i would save the hurt if i were you :D.

My opinion only - if they want evidence of marital union then that is the best evidence there :) - Altho, I was just asking to be prepared of what to expect. - Thank you for this important insight. -Dee

8 hours ago, da95826 said:

Maybe, if your N400 application is under 3 year rule, I would bring a spouse just in case the officer wants to speak to them. 

Did you have a 2 year conditional green card? If so, did you file i751 to remove the conditions on your LPR? If you did not file i751 with a conditional green card then n400 can not be approved.

If you have a pending i751 awaiting approval then yes you must bring your spouse for a combo i751/n400 interview which is likely to happen. 100% bring your spouse with an i751 ROC pending. (This happen in our n400/i741 case and the US citizen spouse was allowed to present throughout both interviews and test which is uncommon)

If you are applying for a n400 case using the 5 year rule and you have a 10 year green card then your spouse will not be admitted to the interview and you don't need to bring them.

I have a permanent Resident card and been married for over 10 years now. I just think its nice to have your spouse with you ( specially during the oath - as it feels like they deserve to be part of this big day) - but it is what it is. Thank you for your wonderful input. - Dee

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Is your I-751 approved?

Not yet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Dee76 said:

Not yet

You need to assume you are getting a combo interview. Your spouse needs to be available for the interview. 

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

You need to assume you are getting a combo interview. Your spouse needs to be available for the interview. 

Yes he will be with me as he is the one who drives when I need to go somewhere. I am not so comfortable driving specially when there is a lot of traffic. Plus- he is as excited as I am. He had been convincing me to naturalize for years and years now so he can’t wait for that day to come :) I hope he and our minor child he allowed at least if not in the interview but in the wait room. if not they might end up in a nearby coffee place or a place or a restaurant to keep our daughter occupied. We do jot live close to a Local USCIS office here so either way we have to travel and stay somewhere near the uscis. - TY Dee

This was in Boston. We had our I751 approved months before her N-400 Interview. I was allowed into the waiting area for the N-400 but not in the interview, the Oath a month later we were allowed into the court house but the oath takers went to another room while we waited outside while they took their oaths. Guess its different everywhere.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dee76 said:

I have a permanent Resident card and been married for over 10 years now. I just think its nice to have your spouse with you ( specially during the oath - as it feels like they deserve to be part of this big day) - but it is what it is. Thank you for your wonderful input. - Dee

There is a good chance the spouse will be admitted into the field office and be allowed to wait for you in the waiting room. It is really up to the security whether or not the spouse is admitted due to COVID restrictions, in our case the US citizen spouse was admitted to the Sacramento field office with no question with just the n400 invitation and we were both called for the interview. In your case spouse will not be call into the interview.

In our case after the interview we waited 3 weeks for approval and 3 more weeks to be scheduled for the oath ceremony. I accompanied my spouse to each appointment but was not allowed to witness the oath ceremony itself. I believe it may be possible with reduction of COVID restrictions to be admitted to the oath ceremony. It really depends on your local USCIS field office.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
9 hours ago, Dee76 said:

Not yet

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

There shouldn't be a I-751 when being married for over 10 years. 

10 minutes ago, Dee76 said:

what is I-751 btw?

This is for removal of conditions. If somebody gets their green card based on marriage to US citizen, and that marriage is under 2 years at the time the green card is issued, they get conditional GC. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.