V5712

How to answer: Will you now or in the future require sponsorship to work?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

BackgroundI recently received my EAD and SSN after applying for AOS from K1. My EAD is valid for 2 years and can be renewed. AOS is in progress and could be another 1-2 years before getting my conditional green card.

I applied for a position with a Fortune 5 company, and marked that I’m legally authorized to work and do NOT need sponsorship (I’m only mentioning Fortune status because I believe top companies should be well versed in immigration legal stuff). 

During my interview, the hiring manager said he liked me and will asked the recruiter to close the position and make an offer. The position was removed from online an hour after the interview and the recruiter called with the verbal offer. However, she said she needs to know what visa I came in on so she can confirm with the legal team that the offer can be officially extended. I told her K1 and she said she wasn’t familiar with it, but that she will let legal know and also tell them I have the EAD through marriage based AOS. But it was implied they are not willing to sponsor now or in the future (and she noted the EAD has an expiration date). 

Question 1: 

On job applications they ask, “Are you legally authorized to work?”. Then they ask a SECOND question, “Will you now or in the future require sponsorship?”Based on my current status (pending K1 based AOS), what should my answer have been for the SECOND question? 

Question 2:

I’m confident either my green card will be approved before EAD expires, or my EAD will be renewed without issue, so I don’t believe I will require sponsorship in the future. But how do corporate employers see this (are K1 EADs a risk)?

Question 3: 

Is it likely they will decide to no longer extend the offer because I’m K1 EAD and don’t have a green card yet?

(I couldn’t find a previous thread that clearly answered my above questions, so sorry if this was already answered somewhere. I do believe this will help me and others with managing employment expectations).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

For question 1 it should be No.

For question 2 EAD’s from a K1 is not any riskier than from any other visa or AOS route.

For question 3, that is up to them.  Did you provide a copy of your AOS NOA to show you are in process of getting your GC.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

This is illegal and legally they cannot ask this question. 

See https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/crt/legacy/2012/03/16/132.pdf

Thank you for posting that @Mike E..as I have read the “illegal question “ statement by others , without source. 
On reading it however, I see employers can absolutely chose not to hire anyone requiring sponsorship and may even post it in their recruitment.

it is important to note that the individuals protected for citizenship status discrimination are limited to U.S. citizens, certain lawful permanent residents, asylees, and refugees. See 8 U.S.C. §1324b(a)(3). Accordingly, non­ immigrant visa holders, such as H-1B visa holders, are not protected fromcitizenship status

ifanemployerchoosesnotto employ persons who require sponsorship for an employment visa, such as an H-1B visa, the emp10yermaystateinitsjobpostingsthatitwillnotsponsorapplicantsforworkvisas. For similar reasons, as discussed in the enc10sed technical assistance letters dated May 1,2009, July 31, 2008, and April 24, 2007, an employer may ask candidates for the position whether they will require sponsorship for a visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 hours ago, Family said:

On reading it however, I see employers can absolutely chose not to hire anyone requiring sponsorship and may even post it in their recruitment

OP doesn’t require sponsorship. 

Timeline

Thanks for the information @Mike E! This is very helpful. I’m expecting an update tomorrow so I’ll see how it goes, but now I know to be more careful with how I answer questions.

Timeline
16 hours ago, Dashinka said:

For question 1 it should be No.

For question 2 EAD’s from a K1 is not any riskier than from any other visa or AOS route.

For question 3, that is up to them.  Did you provide a copy of your AOS NOA to show you are in process of getting your GC.

Good Luck!

Thank you! I did not provide any documentation and was not asked to do so yet. I was only asked what my visa category is. Then the recruiter said they need to talk to legal and get back to me 🫤. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update: I ended up receiving the offer. Apparently they asked about visa category just to confirm I truly didn’t need sponsorship. I guess still illegal but hey. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, V5712 said:

I ended up receiving the offer.

Heartiest congratulations, and thank you for returning with your update.  Everyone here can now celebrate with you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.