WaitingHayete

Adding derivative family members to CEAC website 2022

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hello, our approved petition is at the NVC awaiting us to complete the affidavit of support and IV application. This is an IR5 visa to bring my citizen husband’s mother to the USA. We have paid the fees and would like to add a derivative family member, her spouse (not my husband’s father). Under the FAQ it says to select ‘add a derivative family member’ on the summary page next to the applicant’s name but this button does not exist.

I’ve searched the entire site, read all the FAQ’s and can’t find it anywhere. I called the NVC but they are not accepting any calls and they direct you to use their online contact form. I did this but it says they are currently answering inquiries from September 2021… Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Thank you in advance.

K-1 Fiance Visa

02/16/2012 I-129F Petition sent to Dallas lockbox

02/20/2012 USPS delivery confirmation email received

02/24/2102 NOA 1 (Petition in California Service Center)

07/11/2012 RFE (email notice)

07/16/2012 RFE received in mail, requesting circumstances of meeting

07/18/2012 Mailed back RFE (overnight) with requested info

07/19/2012 Touch - "Request for evidence responce review"

07/24/2012 NOA 2

07/30/2012 NVC Received

08/03/2012 NVC Sent petition to US Embassy in Beirut

08/09/2012 US Embassy in Beirut received petition

08/14/2012 US Embassy in Beirut called fiance to tell him when to pick up interview requirements packet

08/22/2012 Picked up packet 3 (interview requirements)

08/27/2012 Medical exam

09/17/2012 INTERVIEW - Cancelled by Embassy due to security threats in MENA countries

09/25/2012 INTERVIEW Take 2 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

IR5 does not allow derivatives, it is an immediate relative category.

They would need to be petitioned separately.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, WaitingHayete said:

We have paid the fees and would like to add a derivative family member, her spouse (not my husband’s father).

You cannot do that.  Immediate family members of US citizens cannot add derivatives.  Each person requires a separate petition. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, WaitingHayete said:

We have paid the fees and would like to add a derivative family member, her spouse (not my husband’s father).

As mentioned above, your mother-in-law's IR5 case cannot have derivative beneficiaries.

Was your husband below 18 years old when his mother married her current spouse?  If so, your husband can petition for his mother's spouse.  If not, your family will have to wait for your MIL to enter the US with her IR5 visa before she can file a petition for her spouse.

Timeline

Thank you for the replies. This seems backwards to me.. So the closest family member (spouse or minor child) to a US citizen cannot more conveniently bring a spouse or child to the US but a non-immediate relative can? If she had a minor child she couldn’t bring them with her and would have to petition and wait a year to do so? So if my husband petitioned to bring his sister then she could add her husband this way but his mother cannot? What is the difference from the government’s point of view?

Edited by WaitingHayete
Added quote

K-1 Fiance Visa

07/24/2012 NOA 2

07/30/2012 NVC Received

08/14/2012 US Embassy in Beirut called fiance to tell him when to pick up interview requirements packet

08/27/2012 Medical exam

09/17/2012 INTERVIEW - Cancelled by Embassy due to security threats in MENA countries

Timeline
16 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

Thank you for the replies. This seems backwards to me.. So the closest family member (spouse or minor child) to a US citizen cannot more conveniently bring a spouse or child to the US but a non-immediate relative can? If she had a minor child she couldn’t bring them with her and would have to petition and wait a year to do so? So if my husband petitioned to bring his sister then she could add her husband this way but his mother cannot? What is the difference from the government’s point of view?

Immediate relatives do not need to wait for a visa number, a sibling case would take decades.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
24 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

So if my husband petitioned to bring his sister then she could add her husband this way but his mother cannot?

That is correct. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Immediate relatives do not need to wait for a visa number, a sibling case would take decades.

True, but it is still a matter of a person traveling without their spouse or child.. 😕

K-1 Fiance Visa

07/24/2012 NOA 2

07/30/2012 NVC Received

08/27/2012 Medical exam

Timeline
1 minute ago, WaitingHayete said:

True, but it is still a matter of a person traveling without their spouse or child.. 😕

Only of they want to, totally their call, and usually the other spouse would be petitioned at the same time.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Only of they want to, totally their call, and usually the other spouse would be petitioned at the same time.

So we could’ve petitioned for her spouse at the same time as his mother even though my husband is of no relation to her spouse? Who is the petitioner in that case? His mother is not yet a permanent resident and my husband has no grounds to petition for her spouse. 

K-1 Fiance Visa

07/24/2012 NOA 2

07/30/2012 NVC Received

08/27/2012 Medical exam

Timeline
3 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

So we could’ve petitioned for her spouse at the same time as his mother even though my husband is of no relation to her spouse? Who is the petitioner in that case? His mother is not yet a permanent resident and my husband has no grounds to petition for her spouse. 

It is possible to petition a step parent, depends how old your husband was when they married.

Edited by Boiler

23 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

Sometimes this is what happens in specific family situations, it is not the most common. Especially someone being old enough (21 years min) to sponsor a parent who also has a minor child? I mean, it happens, but it’s rare. Another less rare but still uncommon situation is like yours, An option is for the parent who gets the visa to enter the US, apply for F2A visa for spouse, apply for a re-entry permit, and go home and stay with the spouse until their petition becomes available for interview.

49 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

The point being missed here is that immediate relatives have unlimited and immediate visa number availability. For that advantage, they don’t get derivatives. Family preference petitions have annual quotas on the numbers allowed, and the derivatives fall under that quota. So someone adding a derivative to their FB case effectively pushes someone else out of that year’s quota into the next year. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It is possible to petition a step parent, depends how old your husband was when they married.

No, my husband was older when they got married. So again to clarify, if my MIL had a minor child , she could not bring them with her as a derivative family member because she is an immediate relative of my husband but if she was a sister of my spouse then she could? 

K-1 Fiance Visa

07/24/2012 NOA 2

07/30/2012 NVC Received

08/27/2012 Medical exam

Timeline
1 minute ago, WaitingHayete said:

if my MIL had a minor child , she could not bring them with her as a derivative family member because she is an immediate relative of my husband but if she was a sister of my spouse then she could? 

Correct.  This question come up often.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.