CABRZ33

CR-1 vs. K-3 vs. K1 (please help!)

6 posts in this topic

Hi - I've been reading a lot of posts and really appreciate the content and replies. My SO is in Brazil finishing up her final year of veterinary medical school. After trying the B1/B2 tourist visa 3x (all rejected in 2022). Reason the B1/B2 were rejected each time was bc not showing enough evidence to return even though she had documents from school showing she was going to graduate, job opportunities, and even a letter from my US Congressman.

Anyway, we're on to giving either the K-1/CR-1/K-3 a shot (please lord). From this forum and reddit most seem to say the CR-1 seems to be the best bet, however working with a Brazilian attorney in California (very credible), she told me a nightmare story of another Brazilian having the CR-1 (still) in limbo for 2.5 years (and there's nothing the attorney can do to help with this). The attorney is also telling me that the K-1 will be ready in 8-12 months to interview, and once in the states my SO will wait ~6 months to be able to travel/work. She recommended doing the K-1. That being said from this forum and the USCIS the wait times seem to be about the same. 

I'm understand the differences, but I am confused as to what route to take. Anyone that has recently filed for CR-1? Anyone from Brazil care to comment? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you!

I wouldn’t trust a lawyer who is not up to date and completely wrong on the estimates… I bet many K1 filers would be thrilled if it were 8-12 months from filing to interview.

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
57 minutes ago, CABRZ33 said:

from my US Congressman.

Well, yeah… having your congressman involved does the exact opposite than proving ties to Brazil!!

59 minutes ago, CABRZ33 said:

1 (still) in limbo for 2.5 years (and there's nothing the attorney can do to help with this).

There’s a background story for this, I’m sure

1 hour ago, CABRZ33 said:

. The attorney is also telling me that the K-1 will be ready in 8-12 months to interview, and once in the states my SO will wait ~6 months to be able to travel/work. She recommended doing the K-1.

The attorney is dangerously optimistic 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
3 hours ago, CABRZ33 said:

Thanks so much. Sorry to be clear 8-12 months before being able to schedule the interview***

I could be wrong, but seems to understand the K1 visa well, but not sure on the CR-1.

My fiance is from Asia. We filed for the K1 visa back in September 2021. One of the letters linked above is mine. At the time that we filed, the k1 was supposed to take 6-8 months. That was the main reason we chose to go that route so that we could get married and be together sooner. We thought we'd be married this past spring or summer. But, the processing times just kept getting longer and longer. We've now been waiting over 13 months for our NOA2. The USCIS is currently working on cases from July and August. At the rate they're going, I'm hoping we will be approved by the end of this year. Then, I expect it will probably be 3-4 months before interview and he has the visa on hand. Then, after we get married, we're looking at about 8 months maybe until he can legally work in the US. I imagine this will be difficult for him because he's used to being a provider and he wants to do that for our family. Knowing what we do now, if we had to do it over again, we would definitely do cr-1 instead. Hopefully, the times will speed up soon, but as of now, they are still getting longer. 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, CABRZ33 said:

working with a Brazilian attorney in California (very credible),

.,. Or not, judging by the actual recent experience of people here and official processing times. 
also there’s no reason you need an attorney who comes from the same country as your fiancé  - or probably at all if the case is uncomplicated. Especially one who isn’t giving you up to date information. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.