Laud

California Drivers licence

22 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Sorry, as this must be a frequent question. I arrived in California last week on a CR1 visa, and am trying to figure out how I can legally drive.

I've read online that foreign tourists can drive for up to 1 year on a UK license, but fkr new immigrants it's only 10 days. Is this correct from

others' experiences?

My local DMV is closed for renovations, and it's not super easy to get to a different location without driving.

I'm starting work tomorrow which I need to drive for so in a bit of a pickle.

Thanks in advance.

since you live in CA and not a tourist,  yes, u need to get state Driving license. 

there's other DMV that u can go, u can even ask ur spouse to drive u there, or take public transportation 

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-licenses-identification-cards/dl-id-online-app-edl-44/

better apply soon, u need to take written test and also driving test

Edited by Misscloud

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t believe CA recognizes any foreign DL for private vehicles.

I had my spouse drop me at the DMV before it opened and applied for a License with Real ID (I think that’s what it’s called). I was actually allowed to take the written test that same day; unlike the UK, you get 3 attempts instead of 1 so I figured I would just try it and if I failed, I would go away and study as I didn’t expect to be able to take it that day. Passed, and also had to do an eye exam. 

Made an appointment for a behind-the-wheel test two days later. Had my wife drive me in her car; she needed to bring her own license and proof of insurance (her insurance - I was not required to be named on the policy) and I took the test which is way shorter and less involved than the UK test.

It’s been a while so I’m sure you have sorted this out, but my advice to any new arrivals who may read this is to get a rental if you absolutely must drive (for work or whatever) as the UK license is valid for a rental. In the meantime get down to the DMV ASAP as the process is way faster (and waaaay cheaper) than it is in the UK.

Edited by Ian88

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ian88 said:

I had my spouse drop me at the DMV before it opened and applied for a License with Real ID (I think that’s what it’s called). I was actually allowed to take the written test that same day; unlike the UK, you get 3 attempts instead of 1 so I figured I would just try it and if I failed, I would go away and study as I didn’t expect to be able to take it that day. Passed, and also had to do an eye exam. 

Made an appointment for a behind-the-wheel test two days later. Had my wife drive me in her car; she needed to bring her own license and proof of insurance (her insurance - I was not required to be named on the policy) and I took the test which is way shorter and less involved than the UK test.

It’s been a while so I’m sure you have sorted this out, but my advice to any new arrivals who may read this is to get a rental if you absolutely must drive (for work or whatever) as the UK license is valid for a rental. In the meantime get down to the DMV ASAP as the process is way faster (and waaaay cheaper) than it is in the UK.

It has nothing to do with whether the car is a rental or your spouses.

It has everything to do with you.

There is an international agreement that deal with tourists which States recognise, however what we are normally seeing here are new residents to a US State and each State determines how long new residents have to get their State license, to my knowledge California is the least forgiving, however nobody seems to care, unlike the UK.

Also Insurance unsurprisingly is different to the UK, actually another one of those State things.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It has nothing to do with whether the car is a rental or your spouses.

It has everything to do with you.

There is an international agreement that deal with tourists which States recognise, however what we are normally seeing here are new residents to a US State and each State determines how long new residents have to get their State license, to my knowledge California is the least forgiving, however nobody seems to care, unlike the UK.

Also Insurance unsurprisingly is different to the UK, actually another one of those State things.

What has nothing to do with whether a car is a rental or your spouses? Not sure what you’re talking about.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ian88 said:

I do agree the US test is a walk in the park. I also did my written test by mistake without having studied.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...

How did you end up solving the problem? 

Also - can you get the DL before having the SSN? If you only have 10 days before needing a California licensee surely the SSN won’t be there in time? 

Direct Consular Filing - Frankfurt

03/14/2016 I-130 Sent

03/15/2016 Check cashed

03/16/2016 I-130 NOA1

04/19/2016 I-130 NOA2 (took two! weeks in the mail)

05/17/2016 Got Case# after emailing the Frankfurt Consulate

Continued application in 2022…

On 12/28/2022 at 8:17 AM, texcal said:

How did you end up solving the problem? 

Also - can you get the DL before having the SSN? If you only have 10 days before needing a California licensee surely the SSN won’t be there in time? 

California askes for an applicants Social Security Number but it is completely optional for a non-"Real ID" drivers license.  It may be wise to wait for the Social Security Card if they want "Real ID" drivers license.   My wife's  Social Security Card arrived in less than a week. Foreign passport with a stamped immigrant visa,  Social Security Card and the mailer it came in with CA address, plus one other piece of government or financial mail addressed to either the immigrant, or addressed to the petitioner plus a marriage certificate will supply proof of identity and California residence for a "Real ID".

In my wife's case we had to kind of stretch our interpretation of when her residency started (since she failed her first driving test by running a stop sign at high speed in the DMV parking lot).   Generally speaking, the California traffic offence of a new resident driving on a valid foreign license without completing a California Drivers License application in time is not particularly serious.  Most likely a police officer would just accept the foreign license anyways.  If someone was unlucky enough to get pulled over by an ill-tempered police officer, a simple citation would be issued and if the recipient showed up in traffic court three months later with a newly received California Drivers License the citation would almost certainly be dismissed with like a $20 admin fee.  Even if the citation was not dismissed it's a $250 fine and is not a moving violation so no "points" or further consequences beyond paying the fee.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

On 1/4/2023 at 6:20 PM, top_secret said:

California askes for an applicants Social Security Number but it is completely optional for a non-"Real ID" drivers license.  It may be wise to wait for the Social Security Card if they want "Real ID" drivers license.   My wife's  Social Security Card arrived in less than a week. Foreign passport with a stamped immigrant visa,  Social Security Card and the mailer it came in with CA address, plus one other piece of government or financial mail addressed to either the immigrant, or addressed to the petitioner plus a marriage certificate will supply proof of identity and California residence for a "Real ID".

Thank you that's very useful information.

I'll be arriving in CA next week and will go through the process of obtaining the drivers licence then.

My question is - my wife was here with me in the UK, and she'll now be flying back on the same flight as me. We'll be staying with her parents until we sort stuff out.

What do I bring as "proof of address" for myself for the DMV? Clearly I won't have much yet, as no bank account in the US, no SSN until it arrives (maybe it does make sense to wait for it?), etc.

I just ordered a pair of pants in my name to the address we'll be at in the US - is the invoice for that a "proof of address"?

You mentioned that I need another piece of government or financial mail to me or the petitioner - but how do I obtain that? All the ones addressed to my wife were addressed to the UK. She does have a US savings account with her US address but that has no physical mail, only .pdf file statements. If I print that would that suffice?

Thank you in advance.

33 minutes ago, Pat2021 said:

My question is - my wife was here with me in the UK, and she'll now be flying back on the same flight as me. We'll be staying with her parents until we sort stuff out.

What do I bring as "proof of address" for myself for the DMV? Clearly I won't have much yet, as no bank account in the US, no SSN until it arrives (maybe it does make sense to wait for it?), etc.

I just ordered a pair of pants in my name to the address we'll be at in the US - is the invoice for that a "proof of address"?

You mentioned that I need another piece of government or financial mail to me or the petitioner - but how do I obtain that? All the ones addressed to my wife were addressed to the UK. She does have a US savings account with her US address but that has no physical mail, only .pdf file statements. If I print that would that suffice?

One could argue that if you are staying temporarily with your wife's parents until you sort stuff out, you may still be a California State visitor and not yet a resident of California.  Thus, your UK license would be perfectly valid until you did sort stuff out and permanently make your home in California.

Your Social Security card is good as proof of residence in California because it arrives in the mail, from a government office, addressed to you.  Your wife's printed PDF bank statement (plus your marriage certificate) would be good as a second proof of address since it is a "record from a bank".  You are obligated to obtain health insurance.  That is another possible source of proof of residence.  If you sign a lease, open a new bank account with your wife, etc. etc.   Getting established in the US will probably rather quickly generate a volume of records.  

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

2 minutes ago, top_secret said:

One could argue that if you are staying temporarily with your wife's parents until you sort stuff out, you may still be a California State visitor and not yet a resident of California.  Thus, your UK license would be perfectly valid until you did sort stuff out and permanently make your home in California.

Your Social Security card is good as proof of residence in California because it arrives in the mail, from a government office, addressed to you.  Your wife's printed PDF bank statement (plus your marriage certificate) would be good as a second proof of address since it is a "record from a bank".  You are obligated to obtain health insurance.  That is another possible source of proof of residence.  If you sign a lease, open a new bank account with your wife, etc. etc.   Getting established in the US will probably rather quickly generate a volume of records.  

Oh thank you that's very useful. 

I thought I immediately count as a resident when I enter on the IR1 visa, no matter where / how I live?

On the second point it seems it makes no sense for me to go the DMV before I obtain the SSN in that case. But what happens if the SSN is after the 10 days that California stipulates for registering?

Timeline

Resident of the USA

2 minutes ago, Pat2021 said:

Oh thank you that's very useful. 

I thought I immediately count as a resident when I enter on the IR1 visa, no matter where / how I live?

On the second point it seems it makes no sense for me to go the DMV before I obtain the SSN in that case. But what happens if the SSN is after the 10 days that California stipulates for registering?

Entering on at IR1 Visa makes you a US resident but it is a much more grey area if it makes you a California State Resident.  If you are temporarily staying with your wife's parents it seems you would have to do something more to establish yourself as a California State resident.  Applying for a California Drivers license could be the act that starts your residency.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the DMV, got told to come back once I have my SSN. Asked if I can drive on my foreign license, lady said it's a bit of a grey area (like you guys mentioned), but to only do it if my license is in English or I have an international one. So I'm a sitting duck for the moment, as my license is Austrian.

Oh well. Let's see how long it takes to schedule a behind-the-wheel test after I pass the written one. Hopefully quick.

Timeline

Can you not turn your license upside down?

California also has the AB60, did they mention that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.