Laud

California Drivers licence

22 posts in this topic

A

1 hour ago, Pat2021 said:

Was at the DMV, got told to come back once I have my SSN. Asked if I can drive on my foreign license, lady said it's a bit of a grey area (like you guys mentioned), but to only do it if my license is in English or I have an international one. So I'm a sitting duck for the moment, as my license is Austrian.

Oh well. Let's see how long it takes to schedule a behind-the-wheel test after I pass the written one. Hopefully quick.

One thing you may discover about California DMV is if you ask 10 different workers there the same question you may get 10 differing answers.

As far as IDP's or "International Drivers Licenses",  California specifically DOES NOT recognize IDP's as valid at all for anything and in fact requires a foreign driver to produce their valid foreign drivers license.  That should be written somewhere in the drivers handbook they might have offered you.

They 'can' issue a drivers license for someone who does not have a Social Security Number.  However I think it may be wise to just wait for the Social Security card.  No need make things more difficult than they have to be.

I wouldn't worry too much driving around California for a few weeks with a valid EU drivers license.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh so update for anyone that's interested, guess the backlogs mostly cleared?

I received my SSN on the 23rd, went to the DMV on the 24th, passed my written one (they had to print it out as for some reason their computer had issues with my fingerprint 🤣), and today the 30th I already had my driving one.

It was much, much easier than I anticipated and anyone that has been driving for a while, especially abroad, should have no trouble passing whatsoever. Just drive slow and calm and make deliberate and over-exaggerated shoulder checks and you'll be fine. No parallel parking for me, just reversing along a straight line for 20 feet. No freeway driving, just some residential driving.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my physical driver's license in the mail and under Class: C it states "Limited-Term" - I found online that you usually get this when your Visa expires before your DL.

But I came here on an IR1 Visa, so ten years. Should be full term then?
Is it maybe because when I applied I did not have the physical green card and used the 1 year IR1 stamp in my passport?

Is it something that needs "fixing" or can I leave it as is until renewal time in 5 years?

Thank you

3 hours ago, Pat2021 said:

I just got my physical driver's license in the mail and under Class: C it states "Limited-Term" - I found online that you usually get this when your Visa expires before your DL.

But I came here on an IR1 Visa, so ten years. Should be full term then?
Is it maybe because when I applied I did not have the physical green card and used the 1 year IR1 stamp in my passport?

Is it something that needs "fixing" or can I leave it as is until renewal time in 5 years?

Thank you

That is probably a mistake and is not due the one year stamp in your passport.  "Limited Term" is for someone who has an I-94 with a "depart by" date.  Permanent Residents are..... "permanent".  My wife got her CA license with her endorsed CR-1 Visa and it is full term.   If I were betting, I'd guess some not so bright DMV worker does not know the difference between an endorsed IR-1 visa which IS a green card, and a B2 or any other type of visa.  As for the legal implications?   If it's valid it's valid I guess.  I can't think of where specifically it would be an issue.  You probably should get DMV to fix it but I bet if you do it goes to the "legal presence unit" in Sacramento for like 3 or 4 months to fix the first agents mistake.   Getting a Real ID drivers license would definitely fix the limited term issue but you would end up paying the $30 fee again unless you win a dispute with DMV.  Welcome to California and our fantastic DMV experience.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

48 minutes ago, top_secret said:

That is probably a mistake and is not due the one year stamp in your passport.  "Limited Term" is for someone who has an I-94 with a "depart by" date.  Permanent Residents are..... "permanent".  My wife got her CA license with her endorsed CR-1 Visa and it is full term.   If I were betting, I'd guess some not so bright DMV worker does not know the difference between an endorsed IR-1 visa which IS a green card, and a B2 or any other type of visa.  As for the legal implications?   If it's valid it's valid I guess.  I can't think of where specifically it would be an issue.  You probably should get DMV to fix it but I bet if you do it goes to the "legal presence unit" in Sacramento for like 3 or 4 months to fix the first agents mistake.   Getting a Real ID drivers license would definitely fix the limited term issue but you would end up paying the $30 fee again unless you win a dispute with DMV.  Welcome to California and our fantastic DMV experience.

Great, thank you :(

It is already a Real-ID, I made sure to apply as Real-ID, so that won't change anything...

I'm wondering maybe because my birthday was in Dec., so the expiration date is Dec. 2027, so maybe that's why it's "limited-term"?\

Otherwise, can I just leave it until Dec. 2027 and then when renewal comes around hopefully they'll fix?

11 hours ago, Pat2021 said:

Great, thank you :(

It is already a Real-ID, I made sure to apply as Real-ID, so that won't change anything...

I'm wondering maybe because my birthday was in Dec., so the expiration date is Dec. 2027, so maybe that's why it's "limited-term"?\

Otherwise, can I just leave it until Dec. 2027 and then when renewal comes around hopefully they'll fix?

I actually couldn't think how it would affect anything if the stated validity is 5 years.  I have a feeling it would be a hassle to get DMV to change it.  I did just double check my wife's CA DL.  It is RealID and it definitely does not have limited term. She obtained it with just a month old endorsed CR-1 visa in a Philippine passport, newly minted Social Security Card and some mail.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.