roxydye

Embassy records show the Immigrant Visa Unit returned your passport with a refusal letter

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

On 26th of August I had my interview in London and the gentleman approved me(verbally), he didn’t have me any letter and said to wait for my passport to be returned.

on the 2nd of September I’ve checked on ceac and went from ready to refused, same happened today on the 6th.

I’ve emailed them last week and today this was the response:

Thank you for your email.

Embassy records show the Immigrant Visa Unit returned your passport with a refusal letter on September 2, 2022.”

I am so confused and heartbroken since I’ve started saying my goodbyes being sure I’ll be going home to my husband here shortly.

Any advise?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

First of all take a deep breath.  Now, "refused" does not mean the visa application was "denied".  The consulate and CEAC used to use the terms "Administrative Processing (AP)" as a catch all to show that more information was necessary before they could issue the visa.  Now they use the term "refused" for that purpose and "AP" to show when they are actively working on a case.  You mentioned a refusal letter, did he receive anything from the consulate officer requesting more information, or other documents?  Is your husband carrying multiple citizenships, or has lived in many locations that might slow down any background checks?

Anyway, don't give up hope and get frightened by the term "refused", it is not the end yet.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

First of all take a deep breath.  Now, "refused" does not mean the visa application was "denied".  The consulate and CEAC used to use the terms "Administrative Processing (AP)" as a catch all to show that more information was necessary before they could issue the visa.  Now they use the term "refused" for that purpose and "AP" to show when they are actively working on a case.  You mentioned a refusal letter, did he receive anything from the consulate officer requesting more information, or other documents?  Is your husband carrying multiple citizenships, or has lived in many locations that might slow down any background checks?

Anyway, don't give up hope and get frightened by the term "refused", it is not the end yet.

Good Luck!

Hey the visa is for me. 
during my interview he didn’t asked for more paperwork although I had a whole file just in case, nor did he handed me anything. He just said he will approve my visa and to wait for my passport to be returned to me.

I dont have double citizenship although I did lived in uk for a few years with my us husband and I gave them the background checks from both romania and uk

ty for your response 

Timeline
1 hour ago, roxydye said:

Hey the visa is for me. 
during my interview he didn’t asked for more paperwork although I had a whole file just in case, nor did he handed me anything. He just said he will approve my visa and to wait for my passport to be returned to me.

I dont have double citizenship although I did lived in uk for a few years with my us husband and I gave them the background checks from both romania and uk

ty for your response 

Apologies, I misread your original post.  My point is that "refused" does not mean denied.  Also, the police reports is not the same as any background checks the consulate will do.  I do have a question, does the consulate still have your passport?

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Apologies, I misread your original post.  My point is that "refused" does not mean denied.  Also, the police reports is not the same as any background checks the consulate will do.  I do have a question, does the consulate still have your passport?

Hey yes the co has my passport but I've got a email w the tracking number saying my passport is being returned tomorrow...we shall see tomorrow if there's a letter attached or just the visa

Timeline
2 minutes ago, roxydye said:

Hey yes the co has my passport but I've got a email w the tracking number saying my passport is being returned tomorrow...we shall see tomorrow if there's a letter attached or just the visa

Hopefully it is the visa.  Personally, I don't always trust what is communicated in the CEAC system.

Good Luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just wait for the passport before jumping the gun.

Good luck!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 hours ago, roxydye said:

Got a inadmissible note for overstaying a few years back. Guess we will file for the waiver 

1. How many  years ago? Edit: 2015 so 7 years ago. 

2. how long was the overstay? Edit: long  enough for a 10 year ban. 

3. was this discussed at your interview? 

4. Did you disclose this in your application?

edit: per 

you knew it would be a 10 year ban.  Why didn’t you get the waiver first?

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

1. How many  years ago?

2. how long was the overstay?

It was 5 years ago and i overstayed by over one financial year so it’s a 10 year ban.

spoke w my husband just now and he wants to call a lawyer to see if we can do the waiver and him to return to uk to live with me while we’re waiting because it’s very expensive to pay 2 rents and 2 of everything plus the burden of not being together 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

1. How many  years ago? Edit: 2014 so 8 years ago. 

2. how long was the overstay? Edit: long  enough for a 10 year ban. 

3. was this discussed at your interview? 

4. Did you disclose this in your application?

edit: per 

you knew it would be a 10 year ban.  Why didn’t you get the waiver first?

Hey I've told the co during the interview that I lived with my husband for a number of years in USA while on a turist visa before we moved to UK .

To be completely honest this is just poor research on our part,we were under the impression that by doing the ir1 there will be no need for a waiver

Timeline
6 minutes ago, roxydye said:

Hey I've told the co during the interview that I lived with my husband for a number of years in USA while on a turist visa before we moved to UK .

To be completely honest this is just poor research on our part,we were under the impression that by doing the ir1 there will be no need for a waiver

Well did you tag the post I linked with a thank you back in 2020.  If you took the advice to hire a lawyer and the lawyer told you that you didn’t need a waiver then shame on that lawyer.  

You even said in that thread you needed a waiver. 

If you didn’t consult with a lawyer then I don’t understand how you expected a different outcome.  

I am sorry you two are going through this heart ache.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Well did you tag the post I linked with a thank you back in 2020.  If you took the advice to hire a lawyer and the lawyer told you that you didn’t need a waiver then shame on that lawyer.  

If you didn’t consult with a lawyer then I don’t understand how you expected a different outcome.  

I am sorry you two are going through this heart ache.  

Hey we did spoke with a lawyer from Texas and he advised the ir1 is the correct visa path for us.

Regardless at this point we're the only ones to blame for not reading more about the other circumstances.

We both appreciate the kind words and we will report back with the next steps...

Timeline
2 minutes ago, roxydye said:

Hey we did spoke with a lawyer from Texas and he advised the ir1 is the correct visa path for us...

I am not sure I’ve seen such a blatant case of malpractice in immigration law ever.  

Please report that lawyer to AILA and the state bar. As well as provide a 1 star review on Google maps and Yelp. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, roxydye said:

Regardless at this point we're the only ones to blame for not reading more about the other circumstances.

Difficult to believe that an immigration attorney who knew about the overstay wouldn't also know about the ban taking effect when leaving the US.  I wouldn't trust that attorney for knowing day from night. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.