MeG@Am

RFE: Bona fide intent to marry.

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
21 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Hello!

I received the RFE letter today and we were asked for more supporting doc that we intent to marry.

When I sent our intent to marry letter, my fiancé signed the form and scanned it.  I also signed on the same paper.

My question is, does USCIS accept scanned signed letter or do they really need the actual letter with his signature?

Thank you!

My spouse and I signed a letter together when we were on K1, they then sent an RFE for intent to marry. We then each submitted a letter of intent to marry and got approval within 2 weeks.

Seems some officers want 2 letters, one from beneficiary and one from petitioner.

Edited by CaLi90

Timeline
21 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Hello!

I received the RFE letter today and we were asked for more supporting doc that we intent to marry.

When I sent our intent to marry letter, my fiancé signed the form and scanned it.  I also signed on the same paper.

My question is, does USCIS accept scanned signed letter or do they really need the actual letter with his signature?

Thank you!

Aside from intent to marry letter, did you provide any other supporting documents?

At the time, we sent a photo and receipt of engagement ring. I also had my wedding dress already purchased so I sent receipt for that, we had the honeymoon booked too, so I added that. 

They may just want 2 letters, but maybe add any of these if you have them or related evidence. 

Edited by CaLi90

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 hours ago, M&HH said:

We each wrote short letters from our own perspectives about how we met, brief overview of our relationship and visits, meeting each other's family,  etc., and at the end of the letter is where we included the statement of intent to marry (using both our full names). My fiancé is Egyptian and wrote his in English. I had him sign and scan the final page with his signature to include with the rest of the documentation. Good luck!

Doing these together isn't standard.  Do the letters of intent (one from petitioner, one from beneficiary) as stated in the Guides, and -- because the consulate in Egypt may be tough -- include the perspectives (timeline) separately.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, CaLi90 said:

we had the honeymoon booked too, so I added that

For current and prospective applicants, this is a bad idea unless all arrangements can be rescheduled and all deposits refunded.  The I-129F/K-1 process is fraught with delays.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, CaLi90 said:

My spouse and I signed a letter together when we were on K1, they then sent an RFE for intent to marry. We then each submitted a letter of intent to marry and got approval within 2 weeks.

Seems some officers want 2 letters, one from beneficiary and one from petitioner.

I think the  issue for OP isn’t 2 letters vs 1. The issue is that it was one letter that said the citizen I rented to marry the K-1. There was no text saying the converse despite both signatures. 

However with 2 letters it is easy to avoid the problems. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

For current and prospective applicants, this is a bad idea unless all arrangements can be rescheduled and all deposits refunded.  The I-129F/K-1 process is fraught with delays.

Yes very true.

I will add that we had only booked the accommodation which was fully refundable, I’m so glad that was the case as I booked back in 2019 for summer 2020 and didn’t actually get to go until 2022 due to Covid. 

So if you have something booked and fully refundable, no harm in adding. 

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think the  issue for OP isn’t 2 letters vs 1. The issue is that it was one letter that said the citizen I rented to marry the K-1. There was no text saying the converse despite both signatures. 

However with 2 letters it is easy to avoid the problems. 

Ok I see. Just going off experience, in our case we had the letter signed together with all key info and we were still asked for 2 letters. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 8/24/2022 at 11:00 AM, M&HH said:

We each wrote short letters from our own perspectives about how we met, brief overview of our relationship and visits, meeting each other's family,  etc., and at the end of the letter is where we included the statement of intent to marry (using both our full names). My fiancé is Egyptian and wrote his in English. I had him sign and scan the final page with his signature to include with the rest of the documentation. Good luck!

Thank you for the information.

In the RFE letter.  They want my fiancé's description of our relationship from the first time we met until now.  So he is writing a new intent to marry letter with these information in it.  I hope that will do.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:25 PM, CaLi90 said:

Ok I see. Just going off experience, in our case we had the letter signed together with all key info and we were still asked for 2 letters. 

We did a jointly signed letter of intent to marry, with the “we” language, approved with no RFE.  

So, it’s random, which is probably why the official instructions are not specific.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, Mike E said:

Definitely not enough. 

There needs to be something that says 

“I, (beneficiary ), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (applicant), and intends to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa”

I would redo all this as separate letters.  The format in https://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc is known to work. 

Are you following the visajourney guide for K-1?

I know a couple who signed one letter and they have already been approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I dont think immigration are complaining about your letter, they just want more evidence that you are planning to wed. I sent screenshots of me talking with my future mother-in-law about wedding plans, a receipt for the engagement ring, a picture of me "saying yes to the dress" etc. I feel the immigation workers are people who want to empathize with you to make sure your relationship is real, not computers that can be outwitted by legal protocol.

Edited by Ximena Anna

Timeline
2 hours ago, Mrsreyes95 said:

my fiancée and I did separate ones. but do they need to be notarized?

No

Timeline
6 hours ago, Sasha Uneek said:

I know a couple who signed one letter and they have already been approved. 

And we know one who signed one letter and weren’t approved. 

thank you so much. I added more pictures with dates added a copy of my passport with all my entries and departures to and from Dominican Republic, a notarized letters from 2 witnesses stating when they met me, that they were at my engagement party that was a surprise because it was my birthday and that our relationship is real, but I'm not sure if they needed to be notarized I just did it just in case. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.