JGP

Lost Certificate of Naturalization

14 posts in this topic

My wife lost (we've looked everywhere and can't find it) her Certificate of Naturalization. Going through the form N-565 online it asks for Original document from USCIS, which we don't have. It also asks for Evidence of your lost, stolen, or destroyed document - again, we don't have a copy of the original. Lastly it asks for Additional evidence you want to provide, would this simply be a written statement that the certificate is lost and we don't have a copy? Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Why do you need her certificate?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, JGP said:

My wife lost (we've looked everywhere and can't find it) her Certificate of Naturalization. Going through the form N-565 online it asks for Original document from USCIS, which we don't have. It also asks for Evidence of your lost, stolen, or destroyed document - again, we don't have a copy of the original. Lastly it asks for Additional evidence you want to provide, would this simply be a written statement that the certificate is lost and we don't have a copy? Thanks in advance!

Do you have any photo of the original ..the number written down anywhere eg on a voter registration form , passport application etc .. 

You cannot give them what you do not have 😓. Under “additional” give a simple explanation .. I would be doing a declaration that the original is 

1. lost 

2. no copy or photo so cannot give # 

3. no “evidence” … usually refers to police report if its stolen 

and I would have this notorized and submit this with the application. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
34 minutes ago, JGP said:

File by mail instead. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Because she lost it ! 😁

I know.  Hahaha but if she's not petitioning anything, why waste $600+. 

If she has a US PP and a copy stashed somewhere eg email, Google drive etc, that'll do. 

I always save things on my drive because you never know 🤷🏽‍♂️

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Timona said:

If she has a US PP and a copy stashed somewhere eg email, Google drive etc, that'll do. 

🤪 couldnt resist l! Maybe she doesnt gave a pport. Obviously not saved electronically at this point .. 😓

6 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Do you have any photo of the original ..the number written down anywhere eg on a voter registration form , passport application etc .. 

You cannot give them what you do not have 😓. Under “additional” give a simple explanation .. I would be doing a declaration that the original is 

1. lost 

2. no copy or photo so cannot give # 

3. no “evidence” … usually refers to police report if its stolen 

and I would have this notorized and submit this with the application. 

No photo but she can access the doc number on her USCIS account. Thank you for the advice!

4 hours ago, Timona said:

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

File by mail instead. 

Thank you for the advice!

4 hours ago, Lil bear said:

🤪 couldnt resist l! Maybe she doesnt gave a pport. Obviously not saved electronically at this point .. 😓

Yes, no passport...yet!

4 hours ago, Timona said:

No passport either, lesson learned, and it's the only document that we don't have a copy of. 😬

1 hour ago, Family said:

You can also file a free USCIS/ FOIA for your complete file and will have a complete digital copy  for your records of your entire immigration journey.,.Natz copy included

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

15 hours ago, JGP said:

I've been helping my ex get a replacement certificate of naturalization for the same reason as your wife -- hadn't gotten his passport yet, and then when he went to do so he could not locate it. We presume he lost it during a move in 2020. He filed online and provided a written statement, which I replicate below with a couple of redactions:

Ghr5QiK.jpg

He attached the photo he referenced above, which clearly showed the certificate. He also uploaded a high-resolution copy of the photograph, which when zoomed in upon shows the document's details. Note: there is no need to file by mail. Online filing provides ample opportunity to upload any documents you feel may be useful in establishing your wife's case.

We have had some deeply irritating delays involving his biometrics, but at last he's going tomorrow afternoon. I have a thread going if you're interested in seeing how we've handled it. People going through the I-565 process are very rare on here, so I'm happy to help if I can.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/772642-in-case-of-emergency-what-happens-if-youre-sans-us-passport-but-you-need-to-go-home/

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.