Tatiana S

procedure for changing the surname to the surname of the husband, form I 485

12 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I need advice from those who have already gone through the procedure for submitting documents after the wedding.  Tell me what to do after filling out form I 485, where it is indicated that I take my husband's surname?  Is this form to be sent further to uscis or do I need to tell somewhere else what to do with my valid Ukrainian documents?

P.S. I came to America on a K1 visa

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS FAmily K1/K3 P&P, from K1 P&P - the OP is at the AOS stage~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

When filing out AOS, the forms asks you for your NOW name and any prior/ maiden names. So if you have a new last name, you'll write it as your NOW name and in the box below it, you can write "prior/ maiden name." 

Does your marriage certificate reflect your husband's name as your last name? 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

Follow the below guide exactly as it is.

If you married within 90 days of your entry, you don't need to file an I-130. If you married after 90 days, then you need to file I-130.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

if you take your husband last name, when you fill up all the forms, use that current name ( first name + husband last name )

depend on the state, some states's marriage certificate wont show ur current new name, and some does. 

dont worry about it, as long as his last name shown on that marriage certificate, you are good.

i just helped a friend filing AOS last june 2022, her EAD just arrived with her new last name. note that her marriage certificate only show her maiden name because that states has no " new name" option on the marriage certificate. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Tatiana S said:

Thank you for your answer. But I asked about I 485

Does your marriage certificate have your husband's last name?

Red = current name, if you took husband's name OR if you never changed your name.

Green = this is where you'll put prior/ maiden name.  If you never changes your name, leave it blank

20220811_154153.jpg

Edited by Timona

1 hour ago, Timona said:

Does your marriage certificate have your husband's last name?

Red = current name, if you took husband's name OR if you never changed your name.

Green = this is where you'll put prior/ maiden name.  If you never changes your name, leave it blank

20220811_154153.jpg

Thank you. What I have do with my Ukrainian documents? Passport, diplomas, driver's license, do I need to inform the Ukrainian consulate about changing my surname?

26 minutes ago, Tatiana S said:

Thank you. What I have do with my Ukrainian documents? Passport, diplomas, driver's license, do I need to inform the Ukrainian consulate about changing my surname?

No need. 
passport u can keep ur maiden name 

the rest, for USCIS purposes, u can use ur new name. Unless you want to change ur name on passport too. 

U don’t need to change ur Ukrainian documents. If there’s question about name changing, u can use marriage certificate as proofs 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
16 hours ago, Tatiana S said:

Passport and UKR driver's license are optional - you can update it if you want.  I would assume you will use your new name for your US state's driver's license?  If so, you will need your passport, marriage certificate and at least the EAD card, depending on your state's requirements.

Diplomas would be in your old name.  These don't get updated to new names.

You may need to inform the UKR consulate if you plan to vote in the 2024 Ukrainian election.  You should be able to vote in your maiden name, but if you prefer you can update your passport and register in your new name.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I will just point out, though, that there may be some complications with changing last name for purposes of Ukraine; when we got married in DC, we were expressly asked if we wanted the marriage to be recognized in Belarus, and when we said we would address that later, everyone was hugely relieved lol. I would have to assume that you'd need to update it in your former country someday to renew your passport (as I highly doubt you can go through the whole entry-->citizenship process in the US without needing a new foreign document).

But to the original question, if you want to take your husband's surname and that surname is on the marriage certificate, you are free to use it immediately as your current name on the I-485.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.