Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

1,906 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Blueeyes1989 said:

@CaveMan2 After approval, you are pretty much a US green card holder and there are no restrictions for employment.

Yes but under the NIW, one needs to outline an endeavour or enterprise that they plan to work towards. 

I'm curious about the level of scrutiny, level of monitoring. Is there a rough outline somewhere? 

I plan to open a healthcare clinic, but early months will require marketing, finding office space, etc. So minimal caseload early on. I just hope there is some understanding from US immigration that this takes time and there are many aspects to running a clinic aside from seeing patients, especially in the early stages.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, Gha said:

Hi guys

i have one question regarding vaccinations 

@Sorrel my vacation record from back home is lost and I never got any vaccinations from Canada .so who is going’s to tell me what vaccinations I need and where to print them off 

i really appreciate 

thank you 

I’d head to your doctor and request they do a titres test which will determine your immunity. From there, you can get any missing vaccines before your interview. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

2 hours ago, CaveMan2 said:

Yes but under the NIW, one needs to outline an endeavour or enterprise that they plan to work towards. 

I'm curious about the level of scrutiny, level of monitoring. Is there a rough outline somewhere? 

I plan to open a healthcare clinic, but early months will require marketing, finding office space, etc. So minimal caseload early on. I just hope there is some understanding from US immigration that this takes time and there are many aspects to running a clinic aside from seeing patients, especially in the early stages.  

During the CO interview, there is no need for you to have a job offer, but one thing you can be asked about to show is that the evidences you provided in your I140 that you are capable to engage in your proposed endeavor and find employment are still valid (for example, you are still engaged in your field of expertise). Note that the adjudication of whether those evidences are enough to show your eligibility is under the purview of USCIS and since you are passed that stage, the CO officer can not come out and say that you are not actually capable of achieving your proposed endeavor. But the CO officer can ask whether those evidences you provided are still valid or not.

Regarding what happens after that, after getting the greencard:  in your I-140, you provided your proposed employment/endeavor or at least your field of expertise. So long as you are engaged in that field of expertise you will be absolutely fine. There is no timeline or requirement that you have to achieve what you set out to do. If ever asked in the future, you will only be asked to show that your intent in trying to achieve what you set out to do was not a lie.

So e.g. in your citizenship application, when they review your employment history, if they see that you immediately changed your field of expertise, then technically, they can ask you some serious question about misrepresentation of your intent on your petition (and even take away your greencard!). You may ask what "immediately" exactly means? There is no rule set for this anywhere, but immigration lawyers say that you shouldn't change your field of expertise until ~6 months after landing. After 6 months, you should be able to safely change lane if you have good reasons to do so (like you can show that your expertise evolved, or financial conditions changed and forced your hand, etc.) and it is highly unlikely that you will be questioned about it later on.

13 hours ago, immishok said:

During the CO interview, there is no need for you to have a job offer, but one thing you can be asked about to show is that the evidences you provided in your I140 that you are capable to engage in your proposed endeavor and find employment are still valid (for example, you are still engaged in your field of expertise). Note that the adjudication of whether those evidences are enough to show your eligibility is under the purview of USCIS and since you are passed that stage, the CO officer can not come out and say that you are not actually capable of achieving your proposed endeavor. But the CO officer can ask whether those evidences you provided are still valid or not.

Regarding what happens after that, after getting the greencard:  in your I-140, you provided your proposed employment/endeavor or at least your field of expertise. So long as you are engaged in that field of expertise you will be absolutely fine. There is no timeline or requirement that you have to achieve what you set out to do. If ever asked in the future, you will only be asked to show that your intent in trying to achieve what you set out to do was not a lie.

So e.g. in your citizenship application, when they review your employment history, if they see that you immediately changed your field of expertise, then technically, they can ask you some serious question about misrepresentation of your intent on your petition (and even take away your greencard!). You may ask what "immediately" exactly means? There is no rule set for this anywhere, but immigration lawyers say that you shouldn't change your field of expertise until ~6 months after landing. After 6 months, you should be able to safely change lane if you have good reasons to do so (like you can show that your expertise evolved, or financial conditions changed and forced your hand, etc.) and it is highly unlikely that you will be questioned about it later on.

@CaveMan2 This is very similar to what I have been told by my lawyers as well, "field of endeavour has a pretty broad definition, as long as you can tell a coherent story, during your citizenship interview, that's all it matters. And yes, the broadly received period of "immediately" is 6 months, as I was told. 

Consular Operations Last updated: August 10, 2022 at 7:37am EDT
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

Q) How long will it take to schedule my immigrant visa appointment?   

The U.S. Consulate General in Montreal is actively scheduling new immigrant visa cases in all categories, including Immediate Relative, fiancé(e)s, Family Preference, and Employment. Wait times for all Family Preference and Employment categories continue to be lengthy due to substantial backlogs.
It is not possible to provide precise wait times for immigrant visa appointments, as facilities, staffing resources, and local conditions all affect capacity and scheduling. As of August 8, 2022, most Immediate Relative and fiancé(e) visa cases being scheduled for interview in Montreal were documentarily complete at the National Visa Center in May 2022;  most Family Preference cases scheduled for interview were documentarily qualified in August 2020; and most Employment cases scheduled for interview were documentarily complete in April 2020.

---------

If your DQ date is in November/December 2021, your looking at approximately 16 month or more of a wait. IL at around December 2023.

Total wait time after DQ of 24 months?

Doesn't seem right....

12 minutes ago, Sunbr77 said:

Consular Operations Last updated: August 10, 2022 at 7:37am EDT
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

Q) How long will it take to schedule my immigrant visa appointment?   

The U.S. Consulate General in Montreal is actively scheduling new immigrant visa cases in all categories, including Immediate Relative, fiancé(e)s, Family Preference, and Employment. Wait times for all Family Preference and Employment categories continue to be lengthy due to substantial backlogs.
It is not possible to provide precise wait times for immigrant visa appointments, as facilities, staffing resources, and local conditions all affect capacity and scheduling. As of August 8, 2022, most Immediate Relative and fiancé(e) visa cases being scheduled for interview in Montreal were documentarily complete at the National Visa Center in May 2022;  most Family Preference cases scheduled for interview were documentarily qualified in August 2020; and most Employment cases scheduled for interview were documentarily complete in April 2020.

---------

If your DQ date is in November/December 2021, your looking at approximately 16 month or more of a wait. IL at around December 2023.

Total wait time after DQ of 24 months?

Doesn't seem right....

I refer to a previous post in the previous thread on this. No the wait time is likely not going to be that long if you consider the full data available on DoS website.

However one thing you should note is that the CO always states "most Employment cases ..." emphasis on "most". Cases are not exactly invited for interview in the order they were DQ'd as much as the NVC website wants you to believe.

Actually I know of someone who was DQ'd on December 2021 (yes, twenty twenty ONE) and got their IL in the last batch (their interview is for late August). Their case was a normal NIW case (no expedite request) but they had a job offer which they mentioned in their DQ'd package sent to NVC (their job was nothing that would imply any urgency like medical and stuff, but I assume they had a deadline for their start date and they had to be in the US by that time). 

Edited by immishok

22 hours ago, immishok said:

I refer to a previous post in the previous thread on this. No the wait time is likely not going to be that long if you consider the full data available on DoS website.

However one thing you should note is that the CO always states "most Employment cases ..." emphasis on "most". Cases are not exactly invited for interview in the order they were DQ'd as much as the NVC website wants you to believe.

Actually I know of someone who was DQ'd on December 2021 (yes, twenty twenty ONE) and got their IL in the last batch (their interview is for late August). Their case was a normal NIW case (no expedite request) but they had a job offer which they mentioned in their DQ'd package sent to NVC (their job was nothing that would imply any urgency like medical and stuff, but I assume they had a deadline for their start date and they had to be in the US by that time). 

Are those DQ'd in December 2021 and got their ILs in our group? Thanks.

1 hour ago, F2J_March said:

@immishok: do you know whats is the country of chargeability? I wonder if it has to do with this. 

Yes. But I don't want to share their info here as I don't have the permission.  All I will say is that they are not from any of those destabilized countries (Ukraine, Afghanistan,etc.) that could justify this rush. Also, they already have a job here in Canada and are doing quite well. So like I said, a normal EB2-NIW case  with a US job offer , nothing else that really stands out. 

No worries. I respect that. I asked because I just wanted to know if they are origanally from canada or other country as there is a numerical limit per country. Anyways, its good to know EB categories are getting interviews. I hope they stick with the dqd queue and people waiting from long time would get IL. 

Edited by F2J_March

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, immishok said:

Just out of curiosity, is there a place for us to mention we have a job offer in the US when we send in our package to the NVC?  I don't recall this, but if that's the case I'd be happy to send one in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.