maxwilson098

Any harm in waiting?

7 posts in this topic

My daughter was recently born in Peru to a Peruvian mother and we are having issues getting all of the documentation lined up. I messed up and didn't get an appointment in time at the embassy in Lima. Our plan is to get an appointment in the Consular agency in Cusco but we will have to take an 8 hour bus to Lima and then fly to Cusco with a newborn (and then back). In addition, I am leaving for the US in a little over a week so we only have the one chance to make an appointment this week. On top of that, there are some questions about whether the certified copy of the Certificate of Live Birth is going to work. We were going to have to leave tonight on a night bus in order to make the appointment but we dont want to risk going all the way to Cusco if the documentation we have is not going to be sufficient. We want to ask the Consular agency if the CLB copy we have is going to work but they will not be able to reply until tomorrow or later (they have actually been very responsive and helpful). So this brings me to my real question, Is there any significant reason not to just wait 6 months for when I can return to Peru to do the appointment later in Lima? The difference in cost for this trip vs. our planned trip to Cusco is mostly negligible. The main reason we are pressing to get it down now is the baby's mother insists that it is better to get this down now, but can't give me any concrete reasons for why that is the case. I would like to get the baby a social security number so I can start setting things up like college funds and Life insurance benefits but I'm thinking it will be okay if we wait 6 months for that sort of thing. Is there anything else I'm not thinking of? Thank you all for your consideration and I'm sorry if this question has been asked here before. I'm currently extremely stressed and just need to know that is is worth it to press on as I have been.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Mom is likely aware of horror stories where the USA citizen parent (99 percent of the time the father) puts this off and delays and delays and then it becomes harder for the kid to get a USA passport.  And then Dad passes away and difficult becomes nearly impossible.  

I understand her angst.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OMG 

Do it now

if this embassy is helpful,  do it 

anything can go wrong at any time (Murphy's Law we use to say)

and embassies are not always helpful-meaning trying to do it in 6 months ,  some officer could give you a hassle

the babe will be fine (cover the ears when u take off to help the pressure change ) kids -even babies - are more resilient than u think

21 hours ago, maxwilson098 said:

So this brings me to my real question, Is there any significant reason not to just wait 6 months for when I can return to Peru to do the appointment later in Lima?

Not really.  The mom's insistence is likely due to the uncertainty of you not returning to Peru or changing your mind about pursuing CRBA for your child.

Not Peru related but friends had a child in Jordan and they couldn't do CRBA until local birth certificate in hand (not live birth certificate from hospital) - I think they applied when the child was 2-3 months old. I strongly advise you go through all the documents listed on the embassy's website and make sure you have it all. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi, I’m also married to a Peruvian who will immigrate. 

I’m confused why Cusco? Bringing a baby up to Cusco, at high altitude, during winter sounds like a lot to put her through. We’ve done everything through Lima. We have a translator we liked if you need that. 

i cannot speak to the rest of your concerns about timelines, but I will say nothing fast happens in Peru. I’m skeptical that trying to get this done in a week won’t happen regardless. 

if possible, I’d have her get the ball rolling, set the appointments you need, and go back to do it as soon as you can. I’m not sure why you’d wait 6 months, but obviously you know your situation best!

• 2 months later...

Wow @maxwilson098 I am in an almost identical situation! My fiancé is pregnant and will have our baby girl here in Lima in January. We are waiting on a i-129f fiancé visa we applied for in November 2021 to get approved. I have been staying here and working remotely since August. We hope to have some good news right around the due date for our baby. I have tons of questions about this CBRA but hope it’s pretty straight forward, I already emailed the embassy I will attach message. Hopefully you figured it out or you are coming back soon? Good luck I will keep updated on this site I am also in a group waiting for our approved NOA2s!

AB229E47-985E-4E1B-A357-C9C4B60B82F8.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.