bammbamm

Interview location for DACA applicant

38 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a 30 year old applicant who overstayed in the US, currently living in the US under DACA.  My mother became a US resident (recently became a US citizen) and petitioned me to become a resident.  At this point, the National Visa Center website indicated that they have received my approved visa petition from USCIS and I need to pay the fees to complete the applications.  My question is about the interview.  It states on the website that the Interview location is in Lima, Peru.  Since I'm already in the US, are they going to require me to go back to Peru to do the interview, or can I do the interview here in the US?  I don't have a place to stay in Peru so I'm not sure what to do if that is the case.  Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Peru would be I would imagine the logical location assuming you do not have any other citizenship.

Do you have any issues requiring a waiver.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Family said:

Prepare the I-485 packet ( I-765 , I-864 , I-131) , include a copy of the I-130 approval and NVC case notice along with moms New Natz Certificate and FILE TODAY.

You are adjusting as an IR and entered w Visa so no issues filing and adjusting in US. 

Are you DIY ing the process ?

Yes i am DIY. The NVC said i have to pay the fee then complete the affidavit of support and the visa application.  Wouldn't preparing the 485 be redundant with this? 

I thought that i would just be dealing with the USCIS but I'm not sure why i got transferred to the NVC 

Prepare the I-485 packet ( I-765 , I-864 , I-131) , include a copy of the I-130 approval and NVC case notice along with moms New Natz Certificate and FILE TODAY.

You are adjusting as an IR and entered w Visa so no issues filing and adjusting in US. 

Are you DIY ing the process ?

You do NOT need a waiver , ULP is forgiven for IR s

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Family said:

You need to file I-485 , and NOT take any actions indicated by NVC .

Sorry but I think you may have a bit of confusion as to why Case sent to NVC but it no longer applies to you BECAUSE mom Natz

I thought DACA recipients can't AOS? That's why OP has to go back to Lima 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

OP is not an immediate family member of his petitioning mom for immigration purpose so can't do AOS even if entered after inspected if unlawfully present at any time up to AOS filing.

NVC is the way to go. If unlawful presence is the only violation, then file i601a first while in the US and take the approval to the interview at a consulate.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, arken said:

OP is not an immediate family member of his petitioning mom for immigration purpose so can't do AOS even if entered after inspected if unlawfully present at any time up to AOS filing.

NVC is the way to go. If unlawful presence is the only violation, then file i601a first while in the US and take the approval to the interview at a consulate.

I believe you can adjust status as a family preference visa if a visa is available.

If you are currently in the United States, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Green Card as a family preference immigrant:

• You properly file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status;
  • You were inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled into the United States;
  • You are physically present in the United States at the time you file your Form I-485
  • You are eligible to receive an immigrant visa;
  • An immigrant visa is immediately available to you at the time you file your Form I-485 and at the time we make a final decision on your application (For information on visa availability, see Visa Availability and Priority Dates, Adjustment of Status Filing Charts, and the Department of State website to view the Visa Bulletin);
  • The relationship to the family member who filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you still exists;
  • None of the applicable bars to adjustment of status apply to you;
  • You are admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief; and
  • You merit the favorable exercise of our discretion (this means the positive factors in your case outweigh the negative factors).

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility/green-card-for-family-preference-immigrantshttps://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility/green-card-for-family-preference-immigrants

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, arken said:

OP is not an immediate family member of his petitioning mom for immigration purpose so can't do AOS if unlawfully present at any time up to AOS filing.

NVC is the way to go but need to be careful, there may or may not be an applicable waiver.

I guess am blinder than a bat and once again stand corrected . I read the 30 year as a “ 20 year old “ so ignore my original post . 

OP , do as NVC instructs, u will be going outside. 
If you got DACA when you turned 18 years old then you do not ULP and won’t need a waiver. 
If you got DACA after having accrued ULP after 18 you need it. I-601 A 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
39 minutes ago, bammbamm said:

Hi. I haven't tried getting a waiver. I'm here under DACA though. That was approved.

DACA is not a status, and you have certainly not disclosed enough information to make any sensible comments on issues you may have.

Now there is no need to here, many do not want to, you should of course check to see if you have any issues to avoid any nasty surprises but your call.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

DACA is not a status, and you have certainly not disclosed enough information to make any sensible comments on issues you may have.

Now there is no need to here, many do not want to, you should of course check to see if you have any issues to avoid any nasty surprises but your call.

Please let me know any information you may need.  I can do the best I can to give them to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.