2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Montreal514 said:

Can you travel to the US while awaiting DS5535 status? I have my passport thanks. I would like to see family for 1 month. Thanks

My mom travelled and visited me for about 2 months this year while waiting for her DS 5535 to clear 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Montreal514 said:

Can you travel to the US while awaiting DS5535 status? I have my passport thanks. I would like to see family for 1 month. Thanks

For what it's worth, I have travelled many times to see my wife in Miami since being in AP with DS-5535. So yes, but as always, it is up to the discretion of the CBP officer to let you in or not.

4 hours ago, ice-qube said:

Correct, they are based out of St Louis.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, are you satisfied with Hacking law firm how is your file going .please let me know about your experience with Hacking law firm as I am going to file with them. can I have their phone number or their website as I want to make sure I am connecting with exact law firm please.

Thanks .

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jvisa said:

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, are you satisfied with Hacking law firm how is your file going .please let me know about your experience with Hacking law firm as I am going to file with them. can I have their phone number or their website as I want to make sure I am connecting with exact law firm please.

Thanks .

https://hackinglawpractice.com

4 hours ago, ice-qube said:

For what it's worth, I have travelled many times to see my wife in Miami since being in AP with DS-5535. So yes, but as always, it is up to the discretion of the CBP officer to let you in or not.

Can I start moving some items and spend the 6 months a year outside Canada while I wait through this process?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Montreal514 said:

Can I start moving some items and spend the 6 months a year outside Canada while I wait through this process?

Well, that's a bit complicated. Legally speaking, I think this might be questionable. True, you can enter the US legitimately on the normal B1/B2 visitor visa and stay up to 6 months, in theory. In practice, they are going to ask you what you are doing for 6 months and how you are going to be supporting yourself. And furthermore they might ask about your immigration application, and that's when there is a further problem, because technically, you are supposed to wait *outside* the US while your immigrant visa application is in process. So you see, the answer is not so simple in this matter. It's the same thing I had considered, and ultimately decided against, myself. 

12 hours ago, Montreal514 said:

How would you support yourself for that 6 months?   You will not be eligible to work, even remotely, without a green card or EAD.   Expect scrutiny at the border, especially if bringing over furniture, etc.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

Ice-qube: I had to really fight to even speak to a lawyer and have them sort something out even though I paid lots of money. 

Jvisa: Cool cool, gonna sign with them. 

Lol. Well in the end they are getting me the result, thankfully. But you are right—it was not appreciated that I had to push on them so much. That part is poor.

Hi everyone-

I have mostly been a lurker in this thread since my husband and I got put into AP and given the DS5535 on August 1st 2022. We are officially signing with Hacking Law firm tomorrow, but I just wanted to let everyone know all the steps we have taken and our timeline so far.

Steps:

Emailed Montreal consulate every week since interview on Aug 1st.

• Same copy paste emails
  • Only email that actually was different was when I requested for our case to be reviewed by a manger or higher official.
    • This email stated that asking for our passport back does not stop our case from processing. (We have never requested it back though)
  • Let them know 2 weeks ago that we were contemplating filing a Writ of Mandamus. (no response so far)

Contacted our MN senator and local congresswoman:

• Senator (never responded)
  • Congresswoman
    • They sent 2 inquires to Montreal
      • 1 was the same copy paste response
      • 1 they never got back to them
    • Gave me a list of immigration lawyers I could reach out to.

Mailed hand letters to:

• POTUS* (3 weeks to respond)
  • VPOTUS* (1 month to respond)
  • Sec. of State* (3 months to respond)
  • US Consulate General of Montreal (No response)
  • Homeland security* (2 weeks to respond)

All the * letters were forwarded to USCIS who contacted us saying they would look into our case and we would receive a response in 14 days. The response came 5 days later saying they could not help us since this was a state department issue. They gave us a link to put in a email inquiry to the State department, which we did. 10 days later we got a response from the state department saying this is a consulate issue and to try contacting them. (These are all sent from No reply emails as well, so you can never talk to the same person or respond to them)

We have spoken to 3 local immigration attorneys who have basically all said the same thing. "Trinidad, Islamabad, and Montreal are the worst consulates to immigrate through right now." they also said "AP is getting out of hand, and with so many illegal immigrates coming in the families in DS5535 are pushed back because the illegal immigrate checks use the same system for background checks. (since they are in the country already I guess theirs take priority)"  They have all reviewed our case and found no red flags or any reason that we should have triggered AP let alone DS5535.

Thus with our 6th month mark coming up on Feb 1st Lex and I have decided to go the WOM route. Hacking Immigration has quoted us $5000 for the process. With 2 different payment options. $3000 down payment and the final 2000 paid over 4 months ($500 a month), or Pay full upfront and get $500 off, so $4500. Hopefully we are able to get out of this before the end of summer as my husband is in school and transitioning in the middle of a semester will be rough.

I wish everyone luck with their cases and their status updates.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.