P055UM

Odd experience at O’Hare

17 posts in this topic

I just had a weird experience at O’Hare and wondering if anybody could shed any light.

I just returned with my wife from a trip abroad after getting my GC. After waiting forever in the line for immigration, we got to the CBP officer’s desk.

I handed over passport and GC, and wife her US passport. Agent tapped away, took our photos and fingerprints and then asked me to follow him. 

I thought this was normal as I just got conditional approval for my global entry and I guessed we was taking me elsewhere for the interview.

He then ushered us into a large waiting room and told us to wait for my name to be called. He went into another room, keeping my GC and passport with him. 

35 minutes later, my name was called, they handed back my passport and wished me a nice day. 

So no global entry but I guess I was in secondary for some reason? Why would that happen? And why would I be put into it and let out of it without being asked literally any questions?

I am really confused and a bit concerned. Anybody have any insight? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Maybe name confusion with someone they have flagged in their system 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Timona said:

This is my guess too. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

11 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

This is my guess too

17 minutes ago, Timona said:

Dear lord. Glad I missed my bus for that 😑 is this likely to happen every time?!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

Dear lord. Glad I missed my bus for that 😑 is this likely to happen every time?!

I would think not. I bet it was someone who just read your name or something wrong and once another set of eyes looked into it you were let go.

If there was more closer match they for sure would have asked you questions. But again it's just a guess.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

Or maybe this guy just didn't know what to do with a GC holder and needed a supervisor to walk him through.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

4 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Or maybe this guy just didn't know what to do with a GC holder and needed a supervisor to walk him through.

My only other thought is that he knew he needed to take us somewhere to enroll me in global entry and just took us to the wrong place. By the time they realised it was a mistake, they didn’t want to admit to it. Good service for $100. 

Anyway, thanks for the input. Travelling again in six months so we’ll see if we have more luck next time! 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

My only other thought is that he knew he needed to take us somewhere to enroll me in global entry and just took us to the wrong place. By the time they realised it was a mistake, they didn’t want to admit to it. Good service for $100. 

Anyway, thanks for the input. Travelling again in six months so we’ll see if we have more luck next time! 

That always could be it too. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

my thought is they were checking your checked in luggage while u waited 

watching youtrube videos some are trying the global entry thinking it will bypass customs 

so,  did the contents of luggage show any signs of being disturbed 

it would have taken about that long for a suitcase(s)  to come off the plane and customs to xray the contents and return it to turnstyle for u to pick up

Just now, JeanneAdil said:

my thought is they were checking your checked in luggage while u waited 

watching youtrube videos some are trying the global entry thinking it will bypass customs 

so,  did the contents of luggage show any signs of being disturbed 

it would have taken about that long for a suitcase(s)  to come off the plane and customs to xray the contents and return it to turnstyle for u to pick up

Good thought but I travel light. No checked luggage ;) 

5 hours ago, AW1704 said:

I just had a weird experience at O’Hare and wondering if anybody could shed any light.

I just returned with my wife from a trip abroad after getting my GC. After waiting forever in the line for immigration, we got to the CBP officer’s desk.

I handed over passport and GC, and wife her US passport. Agent tapped away, took our photos and fingerprints and then asked me to follow him. 

I thought this was normal as I just got conditional approval for my global entry and I guessed we was taking me elsewhere for the interview.

He then ushered us into a large waiting room and told us to wait for my name to be called. He went into another room, keeping my GC and passport with him. 

35 minutes later, my name was called, they handed back my passport and wished me a nice day. 

So no global entry but I guess I was in secondary for some reason? Why would that happen? And why would I be put into it and let out of it without being asked literally any questions?

I am really confused and a bit concerned. Anybody have any insight? 

I have seen many people taking to a room , i am a gc holder and all the time i come back to usa they send me to a room, they i see others people, they dont ask anything, and 20 or 30 minutes later they give me my passport back , i dont know why they do that,

at Newark airport, new Jersey

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

I had this same issue the first time I came back after getting my green card (like you). Instead of being in a room, I was in like a waiting room and I could see one guy was checking my data in their computer. I think they pulled up where I worked and lived, etc, because they actually asked me to corroborate that. Their system is slow and it took a long time. I was the only one there and it took like 20 minutes. There were other two guys who worked there just watching TV and making jokes.

Edited by Coco8

28 minutes ago, Mike E said:

What countries did you visit on your trip?

United Kingdom. Travelling on UK passport, the only passport I have. 

38 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I had this same issue the first time I came back after getting my green card (like you). Instead of being in a room, I was in like a waiting room and I could see one guy was checking my data in their computer. I think they pulled up where I worked and lived, etc, because they actually asked me to corroborate that. Their system is slow and it took a long time. I was the only one there and it took like 20 minutes. There were other two guys who worked there just watching TV and making jokes.

Interesting! For me there were zero questions. Hopefully it was just a one off! 

27 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

United Kingdom. Travelling on UK passport, the only passport I have. 

Interesting! For me there were zero questions. Hopefully it was just a one off! 

I think they randomly send people and they just check your case against a dataset. One time I had been to Colombia for work and I got send to a different line with more people, and they checked our prints against CODIS. I only find out because they told me the system was down and it was going to take a bit more. They also put our luggage in some huge xray machines, I'm guessing looking for drugs and they also had dogs.

After that, I just realized they do a lot of random checks for security reasons, so I don't take it personally. Of course I get nervous, but I also think it's part of their work and I don't even have a traffic ticket.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.