Alex&Nayden

Where do you intend to live?

17 posts in this topic

Timeline

Background: I am a US citizen. My husband and I have lived together in Europe for the last 5 years. We are still in Europe. 

Question:

On the DS-260 it asks my husband: Do you have an address in the United States where you intend to live?

We will move to the US together once he is approved. We will get an apartment once he is approved. We think it's crazy to do it before they've even approved his visa (I do understand that it will be easier). If he answers "NO" to this question, should we write an explanation? Do you think it will look "weird" to the person checking the application? Or should I ask a friend to use their address? We don't have family there.

If you've gone through a similar situation, I'd love to hear your advice. Thank you!

USCIS 
01/08/2022 - Married in Bulgaria

02/12/2022 - Submitted I-130 online 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

05/23/2022 - Sent K3 Packet

05/26/2022 - K3 Receipt Notice (Potomac Service Center)

06/21/2022 - Status Update (Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS)

02/22/2023 - Approved 🎉 (notice came from NBC Service Center) 

Total: 375 days

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

03/03/2023 Submitted NVC paperwork

03/18/2023 Documentarily Qualified 🎉

04/04/2023 Received Interview Letter

Total: 34 days

Embassy - Sofia, Bulgaria

04/27/2023 - Medical

05/09/2023 - Interview (Approved)

USA

05/12/2023 - Arrived in the US

06/30/2023 - Received Green Card in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

U need US residency and to either come prior to his arrival or with him

CO will need the address where u live to send the green card 

u also need US income and to have made US tax returns for the years lived outside the US

Timeline
5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

U need US residency and to either come prior to his arrival or with him

CO will need the address where u live to send the green card 

u also need US income and to have made US tax returns for the years lived outside the US

I do have US income and I have paid my US taxes every year. I understand the process. :) I did mention in my original question that we will arrive together. We will get an apartment as soon as they approve us. 

I am just curious what others who have chosen to live with their spouses outside of the US put for this question.

USCIS 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

04/27/2023 - Medical

USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Alex&Nayden said:

I do have US income and I have paid my US taxes every year. I understand the process. :) I did mention in my original question that we will arrive together. We will get an apartment as soon as they approve us. 

I am just curious what others who have chosen to live with their spouses outside of the US put for this question.

u may not get approved till u show proof of US residency

how will u tell the CO at interview or CBP officer where to send the green card 

Address can not be a POBox # and the envelope for the green card says "do not forward"

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

u may not get approved till u show proof of US residency

how will u tell the CO at interview or CBP officer where to send the green card 

Address can not be a POBox # and the envelope for the green card says "do not forward"

Okay, well thanks. I am looking for someone who has been in a similar situation and can offer helpful advice. :) 

USCIS 

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

04/27/2023 - Medical

USA

17 minutes ago, Alex&Nayden said:

Okay, well thanks. I am looking for someone who has been in a similar situation and can offer helpful advice. :) 

Generally you tell them the address of a friend or relative on the I-130 and/or DS260. 

I would organize with a friend who lives in the same city you intend to reside. 

But, @JeanneAdil is correct... you need to have strong proof of "intention to re-establish domicile" at the interview. 

So, if you have a job you can work remotely the CO might not think that is strong enough proof. 

They might request you secure some type of housing before they approve the visa. - This can be as simple as saying you'll stay with a friend for a few weeks while you look for housing. And furnishing the CO with a letter of invitation. The CO will also want to know where to send the Green Card. 

You might want to do a quick search of 221g "proof of domicile" issues for people who've been in a similar situation. 

ETA: You can also show them you've been looking for an apartment as proof of intention to re-establish residency. But, definitely for the DS260 have a US address... 

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Generally you tell them the address of a friend or relative on the I-130 and/or DS260. 

I would organize with a friend who lives in the same city you intend to reside. 

But, @JeanneAdil is correct... you need to have strong proof of "intention to re-establish domicile" at the interview. 

So, if you have a job you can work remotely the CO might not think that is strong enough proof. 

They might request you secure some type of housing before they approve the visa. - This can be as simple as saying you'll stay with a friend for a few weeks while you look for housing. And furnishing the CO with a letter of invitation. The CO will also want to know where to send the Green Card. 

You might want to do a quick search of 221g "proof of domicile" issues for people who've been in a similar situation. 

That was going to be one of my options (friend's address). Thank you :) 

I do work for a US company (remotely) now and I have multiple conversations with apartment complexes where we intend to secure an apartment. I also have active US bank accounts, a US phone number, and have paid all of my taxes so I do believe I can make a strong case. I just don't want to secure an apartment for 1 year when it could still take months to approve my husband. It would literally be like throwing money down the drain (but I get it).

USCIS 

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

04/27/2023 - Medical

USA

10 minutes ago, Alex&Nayden said:

That was going to be one of my options (friend's address). Thank you :) 

I do work for a US company (remotely) now and I have multiple conversations with apartment complexes where we intend to secure an apartment. I also have active US bank accounts, a US phone number, and have paid all of my taxes so I do believe I can make a strong case. I just don't want to secure an apartment for 1 year when it could still take months to approve my husband. It would literally be like throwing money down the drain (but I get it).

For the I-130- US address is not important. For the DS-260 its all about where to send the Green Card (at least that's my understanding). But, I believe you can request the GC be sent to another address when you arrive in the US.

Simple answer is give a friend's address. 

Was wondering... what mailing address do you use for you bank accounts? 

About domicile: I know a few couples who moved over to the US together... as soon as your husband's interview is scheduled reach out to apartment complexes and then print out those email exchanges. Hopefully, this will suffice (some consulates are a little more fussy than others). 

You can also try to get some documentation from your job indicating you plan on moving back to the US (if that is possible). This might also help with affidavit of support- you'll be showing your income will continue after you leave your husband's country. 

I've seen some people get dinged for not showing adequate proof of domicile when they've lived abroad for a few years... (bank accounts, paying taxes, credit cards) but some reviewers want more proof. NVC has been a little uneven with their reviewing process... so prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline
20 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

For the I-130- US address is not important. For the DS-260 its all about where to send the Green Card (at least that's my understanding). But, I believe you can request the GC be sent to another address when you arrive in the US.

Simple answer is give a friend's address. 

Was wondering... what mailing address do you use for you bank accounts? 

About domicile: I know a few couples who moved over to the US together... as soon as your husband's interview is scheduled reach out to apartment complexes and then print out those email exchanges. Hopefully, this will suffice (some consulates are a little more fussy than others). 

You can also try to get some documentation from your job indicating you plan on moving back to the US (if that is possible). This might also help with affidavit of support- you'll be showing your income will continue after you leave your husband's country. 

I've seen some people get dinged for not showing adequate proof of domicile when they've lived abroad for a few years... (bank accounts, paying taxes, credit cards) but some reviewers want more proof. NVC has been a little uneven with their reviewing process... so prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

To answer your question: I use my friend's address for all my official mail because I knew I will be in Europe for some time but of course I planned to go back. I wasn't going to get rid of all my bank accounts, etc. 

Honestly, the moment we get approved by NVC I will secure the apartment. Our embassy doesn't have a backlog so the interview should be like 1-2 month wait max. So by the interview, we will have an apartment lease.

USCIS 

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

04/27/2023 - Medical

USA

34 minutes ago, Alex&Nayden said:

To answer your question: I use my friend's address for all my official mail because I knew I will be in Europe for some time but of course I planned to go back. I wasn't going to get rid of all my bank accounts, etc. 

Honestly, the moment we get approved by NVC I will secure the apartment. Our embassy doesn't have a backlog so the interview should be like 1-2 month wait max. So by the interview, we will have an apartment lease.

Then you're (most likely) golden ^^ 

3 hours ago, Alex&Nayden said:

Background: I am a US citizen. My husband and I have lived together in Europe for the last 5 years. We are still in Europe. 

Question:

On the DS-260 it asks my husband: Do you have an address in the United States where you intend to live?

We will move to the US together once he is approved. We will get an apartment once he is approved. We think it's crazy to do it before they've even approved his visa (I do understand that it will be easier). If he answers "NO" to this question, should we write an explanation? Do you think it will look "weird" to the person checking the application? Or should I ask a friend to use their address? We don't have family there.

If you've gone through a similar situation, I'd love to hear your advice. Thank you!

You will need to show evidence of intent to be domiciled in the US if you want to sponsor an immigrant.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You will need to show evidence of intent to be domiciled in the US if you want to sponsor an immigrant.

Yes, I know this. 😊

USCIS 

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

04/27/2023 - Medical

USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Alex&Nayden said:

Who might you stay with for even a few days on arrival ? Ask that friend if you can use their address as a base even if you dont  stay there   It is a good reliable place for your mail to arrive at 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Who might you stay with for even a few days on arrival ? Ask that friend if you can use their address as a base even if you dont  stay there   It is a good reliable place for your mail to arrive at 

Thank you! It's looking like this is the best way to go. 

USCIS 

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

04/27/2023 - Medical

USA

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

For the I-130 the address for where the immigrant intends to stay in the USA can be "To Be Determined".  It is an answer that is required, not an address.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.