Manicv

Is it a bad idea for wife to wait out USCIS process in Canda

14 posts in this topic

So apologies for length. Skip to TL;DR if you want to, but if you don't I will love you.

So technically she is not my wife. But we might as well be. 

I'm a US citizen and currently in Seattle. Girlfriend gave birth recently back in the Netherlands. I came back to the US because of a family medical emergency.  We are now thinking of making a permanent move to the US This separation is really affecting my mental health.

With that in mind, let me just ask some questions. 

So if funds are not a problem would it be a bad idea

1. For them to come to Vancouver on an eTA (essentially almost like visa-free) using baby and mom's Dutch passport (Canada normally allows 6 months stay).
  2. We get married in Vancouver and file I-130.
  3. We find an AirBnB nearby for them to stay and me when I come to visit. Mom would not be working (on maternity leave).
  4. File for baby's CRBA, US passport in Vancouver (couldn't do it in Netherlands due to situation).
  5. I cross the border frequently with or without baby (depends on feeding).
  6. Apply for a visitor record when the time comes for wife. If denied, wife goes back to Netherlands and stays at mom's.
  7. Meet at International Peace Arch whenever we can.

TL;DR Is it bad idea for foreign spouse and American child to wait out USCIS process in Vancouver if US citizen spouse lives in Seattle and funds are not a problem, since working is not allowed? Should US citizen go back and forth across the border? Should US citizen parent file CRBA outside of country in which child was born in third country?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I see no US Immigration related problems with your plan whatsoever.  Canada allows US Citizens six months visits, because it is reciprocal.  Check what they allow Dutch Citizens.  I'm guessing 90 days.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 hour ago, Manicv said:

So apologies for length. Skip to TL;DR if you want to, but if you don't I will love you.

I'm a US citizen and currently in Seattle. Girlfriend gave birth recently back in the Netherlands. I came back to the US because of a family medical emergency.  We are now thinking of making a permanent move to the US This separation is really affecting my mental health.

1. For them to come to Vancouver on an eTA (essentially almost like visa-free) using baby and mom's Dutch passport (Canada normally allows 6 months stay).
  3. We find an AirBnB nearby for them to stay and me when I come to visit. Mom would not be working (on maternity leave).
  4. File for baby's CRBA, US passport in Vancouver (couldn't do it in Netherlands due to situation).
  6. Apply for a visitor record when the time comes for wife. If denied, wife goes back to Netherlands and stays at mom's.

TL;DR Is it bad idea for foreign spouse and American child to wait out USCIS process in Vancouver if US citizen spouse lives in Seattle and funds are not a problem, since working is not allowed? Should US citizen go back and forth across the border? Should US citizen parent file CRBA outside of country in which child was born in third country?

She cannot just moved to Canada without a proper visa. Canada doesn’t have any residency visa benefits with her country. The eTA is for short visits, the same way that she can visit you in the US.  She cannot just use Canada as an “waiting room”, they have their own rules and are tough like here. 

Please take your time to read all the information on the Canada immigration process website before to take any wrong steps.

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

1 hour ago, Manicv said:

Getting a spousal or fiance visa takes more than 90 days (the amount of time your partner is allowed to stay in Canada). 

Additionally, as she is not a resident or citizen of Canada she will probably have issues scheduling her interview in Canada (as she has no address in Canada). 

Your plan is dead in the water. Unless you can figure out some sort of residency visa in Canada. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If your plan is for her to just stay long enough for the CRBA to be done, that's likely do-able.  If your wife doesn't work and you're not married yet, you could also go the fiance visa route if the timelines there are acceptable for you. AOS takes a long time now, but that time can be spent with you in the US.

Baby CBRA can only be processed in Netherlands ( country of birth) ..but there no rush for that since Baby and Mama can travel on Dutch passports to visit Canada  and even spend time w you in the US. 

Once you marry, file I-130 asap…and time the CBRA application once wife’s case is at NVC , even try scheduling baby’s appointment over moms is scheduled. 

18 hours ago, Manicv said:

Would you really be comfortable with all of the uncertainties this plan contains?  Not everyone would.

Tourist visas are not for living abroad.  When you request admission to a country, you're at the mercy of their border officers.  Most people with newborns need a more stable living situation.

Why don't you just petition her for an immigrant visa?  She can visit the US on ESTA and Canada per their rules.

Choosing to have a relationship and family with someone who lives overseas has it's challenges; namely:  time and money.  We've all been there.  There aren't really any easy loopholes.

6 hours ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Oh and to correct other member's points. Canada gives visitors 6 months unless a different duration is given by the officer. If they don't tell you how long you have, it's 6 months. For everyone, visa-required and visa-exempt.

Thanks for the correction @Kai G. Llewellyn first google result should an unofficial source which stated Dutch citizens only received a 90 day visit. 

When going to the canada.ca webpage it clearly states UP TO 6 MONTHS.

Still not enough to wait out the process for the fiance or spousal visa but it is more. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Thanks for the correction @Kai G. Llewellyn first google result should an unofficial source which stated Dutch citizens only received a 90 day visit. 

When going to the canada.ca webpage it clearly states UP TO 6 MONTHS.

Still not enough to wait out the process for the fiance or spousal visa but it is more. 

Six months def isn't enough to wait out the CR-1/IR-1 process for sure, but you can theoretically apply for visitor records an unlimited number of times so long as you can continue to demonstrate your trip is temporary. This is done by demonstrating that your trip in Canada is for a defined purpose, and that you will depart once that purpose has been met. Demonstrating ties, and circumstances (such as a US Immigration Application) will help with that. I'm aware of people successfully receiving at least two visitor record extensions, but there are probably cases where they've received more.

Incidentally, when applying for a Visitor's Record, you are not bound to request another six months, you can request any length of extension as you like, but longer and additional extensions require a stronger case. While the application is pending, you remain in 'implied status', and even if the application is denied the period of implied status, still remains lawful. If one falls out of status, one can apply to restore status and apply for yet another visitor's record. Canada's immigration law offers many options for those requiring longer stays. :)

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

1 minute ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Six months def isn't enough to wait out the CR-1/IR-1 process for sure, but you can theoretically apply for visitor records an unlimited number of times so long as you can continue to demonstrate your trip is temporary. This is done by demonstrating that your trip in Canada is for a defined purpose, and that you will depart once that purpose has been met. Demonstrating ties, and circumstances (such as a US Immigration Application) will help with that. I'm aware of people successfully receiving at least two visitor record extensions, but there are probably cases where they've received more.

Incidentally, when applying for a Visitor's Record, you are not bound to request another six months, you can request any length of extension as you like, but longer and additional extensions require a stronger case. While the application is pending, you remain in 'implied status', and even if the application is denied the period of implied status, still remains lawful. If one falls out of status, one can apply to restore status and apply for yet another visitor's record. Canada's immigration law offers many options for those requiring longer stays. :)

Do you think @Manicv's spouse would be allowed to 1.) request a police report (if they stay longer than a year) and 2.) interview in Canada... or only wait out the process in Canada then return to The Netherlands for the interview. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Do you think @Manicv's spouse would be allowed to 1.) request a police report (if they stay longer than a year) and 2.) interview in Canada... or only wait out the process in Canada then return to The Netherlands for the interview. 

They will need to interview in the Netherlands. Montreal requires proof of some kind of study/work permit, PR in Canada or Canadian citizenship to interview there. Visitor status isn't sufficient. Montreal asked me for a copy of my Canadian PR card before they'd accept my case.

I don't believe they will have any issues requesting a report from the RCMP, anyone can do this so long as they provide acceptable ID.

Another option, although far fetched idea depending on geography, and safety would be Mexico. Afaik they are reasonably chill about people constantly renewing their visitor status there. I've heard of cases of Americans de facto living in Mexico as visitors, and they make periodical border runs to refresh their status. Though I'm not hugely familiar with Mexican immigration law, that's basically what I've heard, so take it with a pinch of salt!

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.