LIBrty4all

May 24, 2022 -- Deadly shooting at Texas elementary school

200 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Or You are killing me?

Wonder how they are going to deal with the speech is violence crowd, using the wrong pronoun?

Content moderation is going to continue to get more and more silly in an effort to cater to everyone, instead of having clearly defined rules. When outside websites close off commenting but encourage people to use facebook or twitter, they are effectively outsourcing to another company to deal with 'the problem' and taking no responsibility for their own content. Everyone has certain perceptions about 'free speech' and eventually there's going to be a comment somewhere that are going to get removed and someone isn't going to like it. That's the way it is. There was this crazy chick on twitter that would harass a celeb by tweeting graphic photos and threatening to kill them every day. I think that was a pretty clear line of content that wasn't acceptable... well the twitter bots didn't think so for the longest time. I follow a travel vlogger, and they had their video demonetized. They had no idea why and no one else did either. We think it might have been an algorithm detecting a shirtless male in a pool? Or maybe someone reported for kicks, anyway long fuss later, and getting someone that knows someone to actually physically review the thing, got them reinstated but no explanation at all.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If you are relying on that my thought is in most cases you have already lost it.

I haven't seen anyone who says that arming teachers is the only method to secure schools....but it would provide a last line of defense......which might have saved lives in this latest situation.

I heard one teacher say "I just stood in front of my children.  I had to protect my children"........ not much protection, imo. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

When a shooter is killed. Black out any info on them and bury their body at sea like the did Osama and for  the same reason 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I haven't seen anyone who says that arming teachers is the only method to secure schools....but it would provide a last line of defense......which might have saved lives in this latest situation.

When you have heavily armed and trained Police sitting on their backsides,  it seems pretty desperate, obviously it is not impossible but a real roll of the dice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Content moderation is going to continue to get more and more silly in an effort to cater to everyone, instead of having clearly defined rules. When outside websites close off commenting but encourage people to use facebook or twitter, they are effectively outsourcing to another company to deal with 'the problem' and taking no responsibility for their own content. Everyone has certain perceptions about 'free speech' and eventually there's going to be a comment somewhere that are going to get removed and someone isn't going to like it. That's the way it is. There was this crazy chick on twitter that would harass a celeb by tweeting graphic photos and threatening to kill them every day. I think that was a pretty clear line of content that wasn't acceptable... well the twitter bots didn't think so for the longest time. I follow a travel vlogger, and they had their video demonetized. They had no idea why and no one else did either. We think it might have been an algorithm detecting a shirtless male in a pool? Or maybe someone reported for kicks, anyway long fuss later, and getting someone that knows someone to actually physically review the thing, got them reinstated but no explanation at all.

The problem is with humans involved everything is subjective. Google the Sanford college experiment some of the students were mock prison guards and some prisoners. When the guards got power the went berserk.

Once of the problems today is no one has tolerance for other opinions. We see it in politics . In older times politicians disagreed on policy but remained friends and did not try to ruin each other with personal attacks. "in most cases". You see it all over the internet, and of course we have seen it repeatedly here. 

I got a coworker who was posting about the election on FB and asked any who disagreed to unfriend him.

People like me who appreciate all view points and can vehemently disagree with someone and still respect and like them are becoming more rare. Us true Middle of the road types are becoming rare. 

Edited by Nature Boy 2.0

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Two things are certain:

1.  These tragedies happen time and time again.

2.  The current methods aren't working well enough.

Isn't it time for some people to think outside their "box"?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Speaking of moderating, young people are also pretty good at getting around the AI moderation because they just censor certain words, add asterisks, misspell, etc. Meanwhile, perfectly harmless posts get removed or moderated because something like "I would kill for a burger right now" gets flagged just for the use of the word "kill". The only social media I use now is Instagram and the one and only time I had a comment flagged was because I used the word "traitor". I don't get it. 

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

1.  Are teachers prepared for other emergencies...such as CPR?  Use of other emergency equipment?

2.  In an emergency situation, EVERYTHING else is unimportant. Not sure why we expect teachers to be the bastion of society always looking out for others and not themselves. If security guards and police won't protect others... why should we expect teachers to protect children? Why do we expect teachers to act as proxy parents? 

3.  That is easily solved with PROPER storage methods. What are "proper storage methods"? My dad owned a store and was robbed several times. IF he had his gun in a safe while trying to protect his store/ his customers it would not be possible... You need to carry the gun on your person. I say this as someone who 1.) grew up with guns in the house and am okay with gun ownership. 

4.  The only protection school children have now is to hide and HOPE the shooter doesn't find them.....Schools need to only allow authorized personnel into said school. Where I am from parents needed stickers on the cars showing they were allowed to enter school property. No sticker? You have to sign in and have a legit reason for being on school property. 

Playing hide and seek is not acceptable when lives are at stake. I grew up in a country where we were preparing for civil war. I know all about the "play hide and seek" drills... not fun and I don't want other children to grow up with that memory. 

1 minute ago, beloved_dingo said:

Speaking of moderating, young people are also pretty good at getting around the AI moderation because they just censor certain words, add asterisks, misspell, etc. Meanwhile, perfectly harmless posts get removed or moderated because something like "I would kill for a burger right now" gets flagged just for the use of the word "kill". The only social media I use now is Instagram and the one and only time I had a comment flagged because I used the word "traitor". I don't get it. 

I got a warning on FB and a post deleted one time. I was joking with a good friend. I told him I am too fat to run, to old to fight, so I mat just have to shoot you. LOL

1 minute ago, beloved_dingo said:

Speaking of moderating, young people are also pretty good at getting around the AI moderation because they just censor certain words, add asterisks, misspell, etc. Meanwhile, perfectly harmless posts get removed or moderated because something like "I would kill for a burger right now" gets flagged just for the use of the word "kill". The only social media I use now is Instagram and the one and only time I had a comment flagged was because I used the word "traitor". I don't get it. 

Send me a PM @beloved_dingo I only use instagram and love looking at posts from all over the world. 

:ot2:

BAD PEOPLE WITH GUNS ARE BAD! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I got a warning on FB and a post deleted one time. I was joking with a good friend. I told him I am too fat to run, to old to fight, so I mat just have to shoot you. LOL

*headdesk* 

Yeah context really matters and clearly the AI isn't good enough. 

3 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Send me a PM @beloved_dingo I only use instagram and love looking at posts from all over the world. 

:ot2:

BAD PEOPLE WITH GUNS ARE BAD! 

I think that's one sentiment we can certainly all agree with. 

PM sent. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have/had 4 immediate family members who are/were teachers not in the US but not sure that matters and maybe one of them could handle a gun? So that is very much in my thought process. 

Also let’s say your career is 40 years and the vast majority of teachers are never going to be in such a situation how do you keep awareness? 

I have always thought that by its design Social Media and content moderation are incompatible 

For some reason VJ does not like the slang for cigarette and that is just one example

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

58 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

I am so shocked at the suggestions people think arming teachers is the right course of action. 

1.) Teachers are already overworked an underpaid. Now they need to keep up to train to deal with active shooters and be prepared to shoot someone who comes into the classroom?  We train right now to deal with active shooters but the drill is just lock your door and hide.  Hide and hope the good guys kill the shooter before the shooter kills us.

2.) Is anyone here a teacher? Yes, high school.  Teachers are constantly moving around the classroom trying to focus on 30 different individuals... now at the back of their mind they need to think about how to react (with a weapon) towards an active shooter?  This is not beyond our abilities.  Right now, when I think about an active shooter situation, I know we'll probably die.  All of us.  Period.  Because I have no means to defend myself or my students. 

3.) Little kids are super touchy feely and will get everywhere and anywhere... Where should an elementary teacher store the gun? On their person or at the desk... 

The gun can't be super secured because they need immediate access to said gun if an active shooter arrives... Where should the gun be in an elementary school?  A gun safe would work fine.  If there is any warning, even if is just a few seconds, this lets the teacher arm themselves and be ready to protect their students.  Of course, there will be situations where there is no warning, so being armed or not wouldn't make a difference but, just a few seconds could mean the difference in saving multiple lives.  Or letting them die.

4.) If THE POLICE aren't comfortable entering a building because they're scared they'll be shot what does that mean for teachers? There is already a shortage... are schools now only going to hire teachers who state they are comfortable teaching knowing they could get shot/ are fine with shooting someone in front of their students? Not every teacher needs to volunteer to be an armed protector.  If someone isn't comfortable in that role, that's fine.  But please, let the rest of us protect ourselves and our kids.

If someone can answer these questions I would be very happy... 

I'm all for hiring more armed guards or making sure only authorized people enter the school... but I don't understand the logistics of arming elementary school teachers. Honestly, the idea that we can prevent people from getting in the school or in classrooms is not realistic.  If someone wants to, they will enter the building.  In most schools, there are simply too many entrances to deal with.  My building has 10 entrances plus entrances designed for deliveries and custodians.  They can't all be covered.  People will find a way in.  We need a plan to deal with them when they get in.  Hiding and hoping is not a good plan.

(only talking elementary as the school in question was an elementary school). I'm pretty sure that most shootings happen at high schools, rather than elementary schools.  With that being said, I think it would be a good idea to have more police at elementary schools than at high schools.  This is because I think it would be more difficult to find teachers willing to arm themselves in elementary schools.  At high schools, there will be more teachers swilling to help, so that would allow police to focus on lower grades.

Until we find a way to prevent, or cure, whatever mental issue causes a kid to become a shooter, this will happen.  So we need to find a way to deal with the problem when it happens.  

9 minutes ago, B_J said:

Until we find a way to prevent, or cure, whatever mental issue causes a kid to become a shooter, this will happen.  So we need to find a way to deal with the problem when it happens.  

Thanks for the answers. 

I appreciate your replies.. I agree some teachers will agree to be armed but not all classrooms will have an armed teacher... so if the shooter enters that one classroom with an unarmed teacher?

I think? we agree... schools probably need more social workers... more people willing to check in on at risk students.

But really, that isn't a help when the shooter has no connection to the school and has already graduated. 

Edited by ROK2USA

1 minute ago, ROK2USA said:

Thanks for the answers. 

I appreciate your replies.. I agree some teachers will agree to be armed but not all classrooms will have an armed teacher... so if the shooter enters that one classroom with an unarmed teacher?

I think? we agree... schools probably need more social workers... more people willing to check in on at risk students.

But, really! That isn't a help when the shooter has no connection to the school and has already graduated. 

Me and my colleagues talked about this.  I think I mentioned it in this thread or the other.  We all, even the one's who are normally far to the left, are comfortable with the idea of arming teachers.  That's just the teachers I talk to.  But there also needs to be school psychologists on campus.  Every campus.  And teachers need to be trained on signs to look for in a student so that we can discretely refer the kid to the psychologist.  We need to help the kids before it reaches this point.  

In other words, we need to really invest in proactive prevention.  But we also need to be honest about how to deal with the situation when it does happen.  I don't like the idea of teachers standing in front of their students to protect them.  Because, in the end, they're not protecting them.  They're just putting themselves in position to get shot first.  And then the kids get shot anyway.  I prefer to be in front of my kids and actively protecting them.  Yes, I am willing to die for my kids but I'd prefer to die while fighting back, not just being the first target.