tofulollipop

I-130 expedite request from outside US?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just got off the phone with USCIS trying to request an expedite request. They say that since I have a non-US address on my I-130 application (I am living in Spain currently, though I am a US citizen), I will need to write postal mail to my service center to figure out how we can proceed and make an expedite request. This seems kind of silly to me that there is no way to contact the service center other than by postal mail, and not to submit a request but rather just to ask HOW I can submit a request. Has anyone had experience with this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Try working the issue with the local consulate or embassy. My expedited request was filed with the local consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. I contacted them several times with question and issues. All inquires and responses were handled by them not USCIS in USA. The I-130 was approved by them and then forwarded to NVC.

Timeline
2 hours ago, tofulollipop said:

I just got off the phone with USCIS trying to request an expedite request. They say that since I have a non-US address on my I-130 application (I am living in Spain currently, though I am a US citizen), I will need to write postal mail to my service center to figure out how we can proceed and make an expedite request. This seems kind of silly to me that there is no way to contact the service center other than by postal mail, and not to submit a request but rather just to ask HOW I can submit a request. Has anyone had experience with this?

They said the same to me. They said I can’t apply for an expedite because I don’t have a US address on file in my account because we both live overseas. 🤷🏻‍♀️

USCIS 
01/08/2022 - Married in Bulgaria

02/12/2022 - Submitted I-130 online 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

05/23/2022 - Sent K3 Packet

05/26/2022 - K3 Receipt Notice (Potomac Service Center)

06/21/2022 - Status Update (Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS)

02/22/2023 - Approved 🎉 (notice came from NBC Service Center) 

Total: 375 days

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

03/03/2023 Submitted NVC paperwork

03/18/2023 Documentarily Qualified 🎉

04/04/2023 Received Interview Letter

Total: 34 days

Embassy - Sofia, Bulgaria

04/27/2023 - Medical

05/09/2023 - Interview (Approved)

USA

05/12/2023 - Arrived in the US

06/30/2023 - Received Green Card in the mail

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Alex&Nayden said:

They said the same to me. They said I can’t apply for an expedite because I don’t have a US address on file in my account because we both live overseas. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oof, did you try to contact the service center already and they told you that?

58 minutes ago, Devarj said:

Try working the issue with the local consulate or embassy. My expedited request was filed with the local consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. I contacted them several times with question and issues. All inquires and responses were handled by them not USCIS in USA. The I-130 was approved by them and then forwarded to NVC.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, tofulollipop said:

Oof, did you try to contact the service center already and they told you that?

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Honestly, I didn’t want to deal with it anymore. I’m just going to wait out the process and whatever happens. We’ve only been waiting for 3 months so it’s not a big deal. 

USCIS 
01/08/2022 - Married in Bulgaria

02/12/2022 - Submitted I-130 online 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

05/23/2022 - Sent K3 Packet

05/26/2022 - K3 Receipt Notice (Potomac Service Center)

06/21/2022 - Status Update (Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS)

02/22/2023 - Approved 🎉 (notice came from NBC Service Center) 

Total: 375 days

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

03/03/2023 Submitted NVC paperwork

03/18/2023 Documentarily Qualified 🎉

04/04/2023 Received Interview Letter

Total: 34 days

Embassy - Sofia, Bulgaria

04/27/2023 - Medical

05/09/2023 - Interview (Approved)

USA

05/12/2023 - Arrived in the US

06/30/2023 - Received Green Card in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 hours ago, Alex&Nayden said:

We’ve only been waiting for 3 months so it’s not a big deal.

The USC spouse can return to the US at any time, to work, earn income, etc.  This may be the reason for the advice they are giving you.  A successful expedite needs to meet the criteria and have supporting documentation, even then it is completely up to the discretion of USCIS.  

Whether we like it or not the point of filing the I-130 is for reunification. 

Why should USCIS expedite your request if you are currently living together in the same country?  

US citizen can return to the States any time.

Quite a few couples on this site have decided to transition to long distance just after I-130 is filed so USC can secure a job and sponsor the beneficiary without having to involve a joint sponsor.  

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline
2 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

Whether we like it or not the point of filing the I-130 is for reunification. 

Why should USCIS expedite your request if you are currently living together in the same country?  

US citizen can return to the States any time.

Quite a few couples on this site have decided to transition to long distance just after I-130 is filed so USC can secure a job and sponsor the beneficiary without having to involve a joint sponsor.  

Maybe your question is rhetorical, but our time reunified in the foreign country is temporary and dependent on my work visa. My work visa expires soon and it is not easy to find a job in our 3rd country abroad, which requires me to return to the US. As I support both myself and my spouse, this does create difficulties for us if she is required to return to her home country and I need to support both of us while we are not together. So yes, while reunified, reunification is temporary. I am requesting expedition of the I-130 to maintain reunification.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, tofulollipop said:

Maybe your question is rhetorical, but our time reunified in the foreign country is temporary and dependent on my work visa. My work visa expires soon and it is not easy to find a job in our 3rd country abroad, which requires me to return to the US. As I support both myself and my spouse, this does create difficulties for us if she is required to return to her home country and I need to support both of us while we are not together. So yes, while reunified, reunification is temporary. I am requesting expedition of the I-130 to maintain reunification.

A bit of a word salad but how does that meet the expedite criteria?

Sounds like what everybody has to go through.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

A bit of a word salad but how does that meet the expedite criteria?

Sounds like what everybody has to go through.

I figured it falls under financial loss to an individual. As we live in a third country and my spouse's visa depends on mine, the lack of the US visa means I need to support my move back to the US and my wife's move back to her home country in the meantime.

Regardless, I'm not here to argue whether or not I will get my request approved, but rather just asking how I can get it done. Worst case scenario, I do it, and they reject the request and that's that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am a big proponent of seeking an expedite, subjective, free and why not.

I have seen too many weak cases approved and stong ones denied.

Obviously helps if you can easily show you meet the criteria.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have seen too many weak cases approved and stong ones denied.

Which is why I figure I'd shoot my shot. We've been sitting around for 9 months now waiting on the I-130 anyways, got nothing else to do while I wait at the cost of a bit of paper work. Not like they're going to make me wait longer just because I asked haha.

1 hour ago, tofulollipop said:

My husband and I live in a third country. And have never looked at expedite as a reason to get me to the US sooner... 

Husband is on a work visa, too... if he can't work in the country anymore he goes back to the US. IF I can't stay here anymore I move back home. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2022 at 4:41 PM, Devarj said:

Devarj, could you share what you specifically requested, or how you worded things, in order to file an expedite with the local consulate? I am in Santiago Chile waiting on the i130 petition to be processed for my husband, and I think our situation may qualify for an expedite. Our embassy always seems closed off to such requests.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.