EatBulaga

K1 SSN [merged threads]

15 posts in this topic

Hello K1 visa holders,

Since my fiancee will be coming in new to the US, what 2 forms of ID do most K1 visa holders use to apply for the Social Security Number? One ID is obviously the passport, but the other ID is birth certificate? Can foreign IDs be accepted by SSA? Thanks in advance for any response.

Edited by TBoneTX
threads merged

When I got my SSN when on K-1, I took with me my foreign passport, birth certificate and I-94. Other than the application form, this was all the documentation I needed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I seem to remember that the foreign passport and I94 was all my now wife needed, but I would bring the birth certificate as well.  Just as a suggestion, if you get an SSA clerk that says you cannot get a SSN without being married, or without the EAD, ask respectfully to talk to a supervisor.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Hello K1 visa holders,

After the beneficiary first 2 weeks of arriving to the US, and when first applying for the Social Security Number, SS-5, Question 5, asks for Citizenship, do you check "Legal Alien NOT Allowed To Work" or "Other"? Then the instructions state "you must provide a document from US Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number". How have other recent K1 visa holders filled out Question 5, and what documents do you provide? Thanks in advance for any response.

Addendum: I don't know if this thread info is outdated?

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/234511-social-security-form-citizenship-question-k1-visa/

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

K1 visa recipients are Legal Aliens allowed to work when they get their EAD or LPR card. 

There is a nice guide for this: 

1 hour ago, EatBulaga said:

Hello K1 visa holders,

After the beneficiary first 2 weeks of arriving to the US, and when first applying for the Social Security Number, SS-5, Question 5, asks for Citizenship, do you check "Legal Alien NOT Allowed To Work" or "Other"? Then the instructions state "you must provide a document from US Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number". How have other recent K1 visa holders filled out Question 5, and what documents do you provide? Thanks in advance for any response.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/234511-social-security-form-citizenship-question-k1-visa/

Check the Legal Alien Allowed to Work box.

Review and print this form to bring along with you: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

SS staff should already know but being able to furnish them with SSA's own documentation proving you checked the correct box could be useful if you come across an agent not fully up to speed.

For the avoidance of doubt, the K-1 checks this box regardless of whether they already have their EAD or not.

1 hour ago, EatBulaga said:

Hello K1 visa holders,

Ps. the two weeks guidance is now outdated. Best advice is to apply at your earliest opportunity. Two points to note:

1) The SSA has throughout most of COVID been appointment-only. I don't know if they are now but best to research or call ahead before you go to the office and get turned away at the door (at mine they had names on a list and security literally wouldn't let you in the building without having made an appt).

2) Some offices impose a two-week waiting period for what seems like legacy reasons. Mine was one of these. In my case, especially because it was appointment only, I didn't force the issue, but if you face that same thing, you may want to press them to see if they will schedule you sooner. I think if they were doing walk-ins when I was applying, I would've just gone along even if they'd already told me to wait two weeks. Time is very much of the essence when applying for the SSN and it is silly to waste two weeks if you don't need to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Similar threads are merged and are moved to the Social Security Numbers subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
53 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

Besides passport, what other ID did she use?

None.  Her only photo ID at the time was her passport. Where does it say you need two photo IDs?

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Edited by Mike E

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

None.  Her only photo ID at the time was her passport. Where does it say you need two photo IDs?

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Under "Original Social Security Card", it says "...you must provide at least two documents to prove age, identity, and US citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status". 

Since newly entered K1 visa holders don't have "work-authorized immigration status" documents yet, birth certificate seems to be the most popular 2nd document to apply for SSN?

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

Under "Original Social Security Card", it says "...you must provide at least two documents to prove age, identity, and US citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status".

Doesn’t say you have to provide 6 documents:

2 for age 

2 for identity 

2 for work authorized status 

Otherwise no infant born the USA would ever get a an SS cere.  

Regardless for a K-1:

* identify: passport and and K-1 visa 

* work authorized status: I-94 and  K-1 visa stamp on the passport page facing the K-1 visa 

2 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

Since newly entered K1 visa holders don't have "work-authorized immigration status" documents yet, birth certificate seems to be the most popular 2nd document to apply for SSN?

huh? A foreign birth certificate doesn’t indicate authorization to work in the USA.  

I’ve written my wife doesn’t have a birth certificate.  She was issued an SSN.  What would SSA do with a birth certificate written Ina foreign language?

As for the assertion  that K-1s don’t have work authorization documents,  SSA’s policy says otherwise: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

The foreign passport satisfies age, and identity, and the I94 shows lawful status and K1 status (technically legally allowed to work with an EAD).

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.