US_VJ

Traveling to Mexico with expired GC and extension letter while I-751 pending

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I had no problem either. I didn't even have the card as I got mugged. I used the temporary stamp and there was no problem

Just got back from Mexico. Our port of entry was Dallas, and the immigration officer didn’t even look at the extension letter. Just scanned my expired green card and my passport and let me in—less than 30 seconds. They didn’t stamp anyone’s (in the LPR and citizen line) passport either. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

Am I correct that United won't let my visaless Cambodian wife fly to Mexico on expired green card plus extension letter?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/expired-green-card/

Incorrect. Expired GC and extension letter is what she needs to enter Mexico, at least according to this thread. Unless something changed since @US_VJ travelled.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Incorrect. Expired GC and extension letter is what she needs to enter Mexico, at least according to this thread. Unless something changed since @US_VJ travelled.

Well, please read that points guy link from December about someone rejected by United flying on expired green card plus extension letter.

What I'm seeing from this thread is that some people flying on some airlines have been permitted to visit Mexico with an expired green card and extension letter, and some have not. 

The website of the consulate of Mexico in Houston says:

• EAD cards, I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20, F-1, TPS, I-512, or DS-2019 are NOT ACCEPTED to enter Mexico.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/houston/index.php/visas/visas-english

Edited by jaysaldi

4 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

Well, please read that points guy link.

What I'm seeing from this thread is that some people flying on some airlines have been permitted to visit Mexico with an expired green card and extension letter, and some have not. 

The website of the consulate of Mexico in Houston says:

• EAD cards, I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20, F-1, TPS, I-512, or DS-2019 are NOT ACCEPTED to enter Mexico.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/houston/index.php/visas/visas-english

That's similar to what OP said at the beginning of the thread:

On 5/2/2022 at 4:00 PM, US_VJ said:

Different Mexican consulate generals in different US cities had very conflicting information on their website—including the one in NYC saying that the extension letter is not accepted. This is clearly incorrect. 

On 5/2/2022 at 4:00 PM, US_VJ said:

Just to reiterate, Mexican immigration officials knew exactly what it was—didn’t even bat an eye— and I had zero problems getting inside MX (I went to Mexico City Airport

Though one thing @US_VJ never clarified - what passport was used to travel. There's possibility OP's passport gave visa free entry to Mexico and GC didn't matter. 

Of course the safest approach is to get visa if in doubt.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
1 minute ago, OldUser said:

Though one thing @US_VJ never clarified - what passport was used to travel. There's possibility OP's passport gave visa free entry to Mexico and GC didn't matter. 

i think what's more likely is that Mexico's published rules are strict -- "no extension letters" -- but their immigration officers are lax. 

Some airlines follow their letter of the law it seems because of the "possibility" of being fined if Mexico denies entry to the traveler.  Some don't.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
7 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

i think what's more likely is that Mexico's published rules are strict -- "no extension letters" -- but their immigration officers are lax. 

Some airlines follow their letter of the law it seems because of the "possibility" of being fined if Mexico denies entry to the traveler.  Some don't.

As someone who was denied boarding at the gate by United in July 2022 after being checked in, I would say that you should get a visa for Mexico unless your passport allows visa free entry. Or you have another valid visa in your passport like a Canadian tourist visa or Schengen visa. 

11 hours ago, OldUser said:

My passport requires visa to Mexico. It’s not from a visa free country.

I traveled a year ago without any issues, so the rules must have changed I guess. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.