34 posts in this topic

Is your question about filing one or separate affidavits?

You might want to read the I-864 instructions in detail:

”Separate affidavits of support are required for intending immigrants for whom different Form I-130, Form I-600, or Form I-800 family-based petitions were filed. For instance, if you are sponsoring both parents, each will need an original affidavit of support and accompanying documentation since you were required to submit separate Form I-130 visa petitions for each parent.”

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf Page 14, at the top.

28 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Is your question about filing one or separate affidavits?

You might want to read the I-864 instructions in detail:

”Separate affidavits of support are required for intending immigrants for whom different Form I-130, Form I-600, or Form I-800 family-based petitions were filed. For instance, if you are sponsoring both parents, each will need an original affidavit of support and accompanying documentation since you were required to submit separate Form I-130 visa petitions for each parent.”

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf Page 14, at the top.

Thank You!!!!! ♥️

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cocos123 said:

Thank You!!!!! ♥️

If you have remaining questions, ask them directly and clearly.   

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
21 hours ago, Cocos123 said:

I became a USC a year ago, that would mean that as a USC i have been staying in the USA for a year (despite the fact that Ive been in the USA for 20 years with green card). Am I right interpreting this way? Could someone help me with the affidavit form? 😕

5 years of any presence in the USA, citizen or otherwise counts. 

18 hours ago, Cocos123 said:

I went to a lawyer for a short consultation and asked him whether my child can get a USA passport while he is now here. Lawyer said, that my child has to stay in the USA at least 3 years and after this period we could apply for getting a US passport to him. Unfortunately I haven't asked him what law describes such rule. Before giving such answer lawyer asked when my child was born and when I ve gotten my USA passport. So, im wondering who is right in this situation, don't want to take risk and waist time. 

I’ve never heard of such a provision.  

22 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Did you gain USC via naturalization, or by birth?  If by naturalization, I assume you meet the 5 year physical presence requirement to pass on citizenship to your daughter after she was admitted with her visitor visa.   Maybe @Mike E will weigh in as he is well versed on the topic.

My understanding is that neither CCA 2000 nor N-600K are appropriate in this situation because the citizen parent resident in and has domicile in the USA.

The practical problem is that N-600K cases take over a year to adjudicate. If they took less than 180 days or if the child had a non immigrant visa that let her stay in the USA for an extended period (like an F-1 to attend boarding  school) while the citizen parent is residing outside the USA then N-600K would be practical.  

22 hours ago, Dashinka said:

.A parent’s physical presence is calculated in the aggregate and includes time accrued in the United States during periods when the parent was not a U.S. citizen.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-5

Thanks I knew physical presence included time as being a non citizen but outside lawyer references hadn’t seen a USCIS policy on that.  Bookmarked for future reference. 

So OP: 

* File I-130/I-485 for your child. My understanding is that since your child will immediately become a USA citizen, you don’t have to file I-864 for your child.  However if you have sufficient income, I would file I-864 lest you get into an futile game of logic with USCIS.

* As soon as your child gets a green card, file for a passport and passport card.  

* These days it seems line the passport agency is no longer confiscating the green card and instead sends a letter asking the citizen to send the green card  to USCIS.  Ignore that for now. 

*  once the passport and passport card are received, use the passport card to get a new SS card for your child. 

* File N-600 (not N600-K) for your child.  At the N-600 interview the IO will ask to see the green card. The moment before  your child takes oath of citizen (or if oath is waived due being too young), the IO will then confiscate the green card. Your child will then get a certificate of citizenship 

A certificate of citizenship can be necessary (but not always) for the following situations:

* a security clearance 

* enlisting in certain roles in the military that explicitly exclude people who are or were citizens of certain countries 

* officer in the military 

* certain federal jobs

* registering to vote online in Tennessee (a photo image works)

* getting REAL ID drivers license or identification cards. Normally the passport card / book works but sometimes there are discrepancies 

* petitioning an alien for an immigration benefit.  Some IOs will not accept a U.S. passport.  

As expensive as it is to get a certificate of citizenship, it is worth it to the child decades later.  As the Patriot Act evolves, I expect a U.S. passport to be less useful as proof of citizenship and I can envision a time where its use of such evidence will be limited to the port of entry. REAL ID version 2.0 is going to be a bear.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.