justdandy81

ITIN Application

13 posts in this topic

Good day,

I am an US citizen residing in the state of Maryland and I got married last October. My wife is from the Philippines and she’s not an US resident. This year, I need to file my taxes  and they ask for my wife’s SSN or ITIN, which she does not have. About two months ago, I spoke to an IRS agent and he said that I needed to apply for her ITIN number by filling out form W7, and I needed to have either her passport or a certified copy of it. Since I already had scheduled a trip to the Philippines, i thought I could just get the certified copy during my trip and bring it back to the US. Unfortunately, the agency that issues the passports in the Philippines claims that they do not do certified copies of passports so I am going to bring my wife’s original passport with me along with the filled and signed W7 form. Do I need to have her signature on the form notarized? I wouldn’t want the IRS to question the authenticity of her signature and also, do i need to mail it out or can I stop by my local IRS office? and, is there any other form or piece of documentation I need to bring besides the w7 and her passport?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Passport is the only "stand alone " document needed for ID the following site will give u info on other documents to prove ID (like photo of DL foreign license or National ID with photo)

see chart near bottom of the page 

i would never send original passport and i was informed by UPS store that they could not do a color copy of passports to get them certified so before you bring her back here,   ask about doing this ?  Getting it back to her may be an issue 

along with one of those a marriage certificate is needed 

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7

Edited by JeanneAdil

Thank you for the info! When I called the IRS a few months ago, they said I could get a certified copy at the same agency that issued her passport in the Philippines but apparently they don't do that there. So, I am planning to take her original passport along with the W7 form to my local IRS office but I am not sure if I would need to get the form notarized here in the Philippines so there's no doubt that she actually signed it. After I get her passport back from the IRS, I will send it back to her via FedEx. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
11 hours ago, justdandy81 said:

This year, I need to file my taxes  and they ask for my wife’s SSN or ITIN, which she does not have.

You can file as Married Filing Separately, without your wife's SSN or ITIN.

26 minutes ago, justdandy81 said:

So, I am planning to take her original passport along with the W7 form to my local IRS office but I am not sure if I would need to get the form notarized here in the Philippines so there's no doubt that she actually signed it.

I doubt the IRS TAC centers will help apply for an ITIN application for someone not physically applying in person. But you can mail your tax return and W7 application to IRS directly for sure.

You then have the risk of IRS delays and not getting passport on time and then the risk of passport getting lost during international shipping. Not worth the risk.

My suggestion: Just file Married Filing Separately. 

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Unfortunately, the agency that issues the passports in the Philippines claims that they do not do certified copies of passports so I am going to bring my wife’s original passport with me along with the filled and signed W7 form.

There is one Certifying Acceptance Agent listed in the Philippines who is supposed to be able to certify her passport. She would have to be there in person if that would work out for you. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-philippines

Do I need to have her signature on the form notarized? I wouldn’t want the IRS to question the authenticity of her signature and also, do i need to mail it out or can I stop by my local IRS office? and, is there any other form or piece of documentation I need to bring besides the w7 and her passport?

You will mail the following to the IRS Center in Austin, TX that processes all ITINs. 

• Your joint Tax return (both sign, leave her SSN field blank)
  • A statement electing for her to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes (both sign)
  • Form W7 (she signs, not notarized)
  • Her passport (or a certified copy if you go to the Acceptance Agent in the Phils)

Internal Revenue Service, ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

If you go to the Acceptance Agent in the Philippines with all of the documents above, they may also provide the service of sending everything to the IRS for you. Or you can bring the certified passport copy home and mail it all to Austin yourself.

Edited by Wuozopo

12 minutes ago, seekingthetruth said:

This is from their website:

https://1925mcarthur.wixsite.com/raoangeles

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

48 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Her passport (or a certified copy if you go to the Acceptance Agent in the Phils)

Just to be clear for the OP, the agent will certify everything.  Call before you go to make sure.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@seekingthetruth

Excellent information. It is always helpful to hear from somebody who has personal experience with a particular topic. 

12 hours ago, top_secret said:

A certified copy of a Philippine Passport is a routine service that can be easily obtained from any DFA Passport office in the Philippines.

I can confirm that the DFA satellite office at Megamall in Metro Manila does passport certification as a routine service.  I did not avail of it myself, but I saw someone else who did while I was there for my passport renewal appointment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.