Nancy r

child support evidence for n400

23 posts in this topic

My daughter is an American citizen, 
she is 16 years old, she lives in Mexico with her father, 
I got divorced in Mexico and there is no letter or document
 that says that I have to pay child support to my daughter,
 even so, I send money monthly through agencies, 
I have the transfer confirmation emails.
 Will this be enough evidence for USCIS? 
Well, my citizenship appointment is next May.
Edited by Nancy r

8 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

if your daughter is american citizen,  why do you want to send evidence to uscis regarding on sending money through agency?

please fill up your timeline. ur citizenship appointment = are you greencard holder right now?

because my daughter lives there in Mexico with her father,
 even so I always send money monthly for her, 
I have a son who is only a Mexican citizen and is 23 years old, 
sometimes he collects the transfer and sometimes his father,
 I don't know, if this will be a problem getting my citizenship

send documents to uscis form N400: sep 6 2021

I did not went to the finger prints, they use the ones last time.

interview notification: April 4 2022

interview date: May 09 2022

city : Nashville Tn.

Just now, Nancy r said:

because my daughter lives there in Mexico with her father,
 even so I always send money monthly for her, 
I have a son who is only a Mexican citizen and is 23 years old, 
sometimes he collects the transfer and sometimes his father,
 I don't know, if this will be a problem getting my citizenship

send documents to uscis form N400: sep 6 2021

I did not went to the finger prints, they use the ones last time.

interview notification: April 4 2022

interview date: May 09 2022

city : Nashville Tn.

yes I am green card holder now

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

@Nancy r ask her father to provide a notarized letter stating that

* you have been supporting your daughter with on time payments and

* you are current on your support.  

Do you send alimony to your ex-spouse too?

Edited by Mike E

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

@Nancy r ask her father to provide a notarized letter stating that

* you have been supporting your daughter with on time payments and

* you are current on your support.  

Do you send alimony to your ex-spouse too?

no. I do not send alimony to him, Does this letter need to be notarized by the American embassy or by a notary in Mexico?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
Just now, Nancy r said:

no. I do not send alimony to him, Does this letter need to be notarized by the American embassy or by a notary in Mexico?

A notary in Mexico should be fine.  His statement should include his email address and phone number. 

I doubt the embassy would provide an appointment or walk in for this, especially if he isn’t a USA citizen.  

7 hours ago, Nancy r said:

You can also do a line by line translation of your Mexico Divorce , which more than likely does not contain a clause for either child support or alimony to your ex…as most do not,  so you would be off the hooK . But having  proof of sending money and the statement recommended by @Mike Eis excellent preparation. Good Luck 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have been paying through an agency. What agency is this? Is it a child support agency? 

If not some sort of child support agency and more like a money order. Do any of those wire transfers/money orders say what it is for? Sometimes there is spot that lets you make a note for what it is for. If you have all your records and get a letter from the ex. It is probably be enough, especially if it is a monthly type of payment. 

Sadly not having an amount for child support in the divorce decree is not enough. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, Family said:

You can also do a line by line translation of your Mexico Divorce , which more than likely does not contain a clause for either child support or alimony to your ex…as most do not,  so you would be off the hooK . But having  proof of sending money and the statement recommended by @Mike Eis excellent preparation. Good Luck 

Not 'off the hook'.

Even if there is no court-ordered child support, the courts have concluded that parents have a moral and legal obligation to provide support for their minor children, and a willful failure to provide such support demonstrates that the individual lacks GMC.  

23 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Not 'off the hook'.

Even if there is no court-ordered child support, the courts have concluded that parents have a moral and legal obligation to provide support for their minor children, and a willful failure to provide such support demonstrates that the individual lacks GMC.  

I dont think this apply to her because unless she is on child support in the us she doesnt need to show proof of support because it is assume that if she isnt in the family court process of child support she is being responsible.  In my case i have 2 kids from different mothers and at the time of my interview i was on child support for my daughter  but not for my son. Because i was not on child support for my son they never requested any evidence from me. I did have to provide documentation that i was current with my daughters support because it was done through the family court system if this wasnt the case i wouldnt have to had any proof that i was providing  financial support. 

On 4/15/2022 at 7:44 AM, Nancy r said:

My daughter is an American citizen, 
she is 16 years old, she lives in Mexico with her father, 
I got divorced in Mexico and there is no letter or document
 that says that I have to pay child support to my daughter,
 even so, I send money monthly through agencies, 
I have the transfer confirmation emails.
 Will this be enough evidence for USCIS? 
Well, my citizenship appointment is next May.

Send the transfer confirmation emails. If you can get father proof letter go for it. 

On 4/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, Ontarkie said:

You have been paying through an agency. What agency is this? Is it a child support agency? 

If not some sort of child support agency and more like a money order. Do any of those wire transfers/money orders say what it is for? Sometimes there is spot that lets you make a note for what it is for. If you have all your records and get a letter from the ex. It is probably be enough, especially if it is a monthly type of payment. 

Sadly not having an amount for child support in the divorce decree is not enough. 

It is Ria Money Transfer, and is not a child support agency.

22 hours ago, Adujarric said:

I dont think this apply to her because unless she is on child support in the us she doesnt need to show proof of support because it is assume that if she isnt in the family court process of child support she is being responsible.  In my case i have 2 kids from different mothers and at the time of my interview i was on child support for my daughter  but not for my son. Because i was not on child support for my son they never requested any evidence from me. I did have to provide documentation that i was current with my daughters support because it was done through the family court system if this wasnt the case i wouldnt have to had any proof that i was providing  financial support. 

23 hours ago, Adujarric said:

Umm no. GMC applies to everyone. 

Kinda surprised at @Family for endorsing the above comment. 

Not having an order with a specific amount of $ simply means you don't have to prove you paid/are paying the $ amount specified. 

So if you have an order saying you must pay 100/month you must be able to show payments of 100/month or a lump sum/combined total of payments that satisfy the amount owed at 100/month for however many months it's been required to be paid. 

If you DON'T have an order, again you are still required to show GMC. This simply means there is no specific amount required as in the example above. 

One should never assume anything regarding immigration. Now everyone's situation is different but I don’t believe @Nancy r has anything to worry about. It appears she has been sending support as she can/as needed. She should bring proof of the money she has sent and if possible get a statement from the father and or son who has received it stating it was for child support.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.